*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Please put me on the list for one lantern. Signed up just for this, keep up the great work!

Have you made any runtime graphs for the lanterns? I’d love to know just how stable the output is.

I would like to add a second lantern please - 1103 Tixx

Great post Den — Really brings into focus one very important aspect of this lantern !!

I’ve an idea — Derived from a dream I had last night. While I don’t usually publically post my dreams — Frankly because I can never remember um — Last nights dream was different — I remembered and was in Technicolor … And was centered on this lantern.

It might be beneficial if someone (Like Den) were to start a new thread and have it concentrate on modifications/additions to the lantern. Then - As ideas are presented — Another thread can be started specific to that idea.

Here’s a few ideas that came to light last night …….

I have a couple of flashlights — I won’t name them but ideas came from one of them.

In light of Den’s power failure — I have a flashlight that has a mount that plugs into a wall outlet and with the light in the mount charges. When the power goes out — The light comes on — On low. LUV the feature !!

For traveling — I envision using a hard case. Included are various pieces/parts that enhance the lantern.

I envision various heads for the lantern. The various heads would offer various features — Flashlight — Firelight — 90 degree offset flashlight. And so on …….

I have a puc like device I use for one of my camera’s that when a camera is attached can be turned to wind up a spring. Install on a tri-pod and the puc turns the camera 1 — 360 degree revolution every hour. Stack 2 puc’s together and the speed is doubled. Attach the lantern with a 90 degree flashlight head and one would have a rotating beacon — Option for SOS — Steady, Or any number of different patterns. Get stranded out in the wilderness — Might come in handy !!

Removable base. Various alternate bases could then be used. Magnetic — tri-pod mount — and so on.

Add-on extension tube. Been talked about before. I envision one that is sized quite a bit larger - To house 4 21700 batteries. Extends the run time and with a larger base offers more stability. Could also be then used as a power bank - And using an adapter barrel could have more than one USB outlet.

Table mount — While the lantern can sit upright presently … … Someone could 3D print a skeleton mount that incorporates 3 folding legs that can then be deployed offering far greater stability along with offering greater height over a table. Don’t have a tree overhead — This could be an option.

Your out in the wilderness tent camping … … …

You go to bed at some point and it’s dark. One could leave the lantern on all night - But this depleats the battery bank.

Install a timer circuit — Turn off after 2,4,6 hours. Helps but leaves one in the darkness in the early morning hours.

In the middle of the night one is awakened to a twig snapping - And the lantern is outside on the table … … Oops !!

Install a keychain wireless remote. When one hears the twig snapping — Simply trigger and the lantern comes on. Might scare the critter away - And offers one a light source as one peers out.

Offer a motion sensor — When the twig snaps and one doesn’t wake up … The lantern comes on and might scare the critter away.

Offer various forms of light — Fireplace - Lightning, Etc. With Halloween fast approaching I thought of this …

Hang the lantern on a lantern pole and drape a Halloween costume over and hold away with twigs and turn on the lantern. At night one would have a scary figure — Might scare off a critter. Could also trigger by motion detect or keychain remote.

Replace the head with a flashlight head and install an Orange tapered cone. Now one would have a lit Orange cone for traffic awareness. Set to blink for more awareness.

These few ideas brings me back to using a hard case with all the pieces/parts inside - For using just one device to meet all needs.

I’ve only just scratched the surface — Hopefully someone will start a thread where others far smarter than me can post their wishes/wants - Ideas.

Nap Time — Maybe I’ll think of more … … To be continued.

Put me down for 1 more, I’m already on the list at #1715 so 2 lanterns total. Thanks!

Awesome!

I also like Sparky’s ideas, especially the timer circuit.

not yet, once i figure out the best way in doing so than i will.

I really like your ideas! :+1: I will have to save this for future reference. one of the things that is slated for the LT2 deluxe version in the future is the wireless remote control for those exact reasons. :smiley:

Here is the video i did last night during our power outage, showing the heat difference between the 5-7135 on maximum and the 7-7135 on maximum. (the 5-7135 test unit reached around 40 degrees Celsius after 2+ hours running on maximum 100% at tint mixed around 4000K (all LEDs on) While the 7-7135 test unit reached close to 58 ~ 59 degrees Celsius after 2+ hours running on maximum 100% at tint mixed around 4000K, all LEDs on)

If you have an Android smartphone that accepts memory cards, the easiest way is Zak’s ceiling bounce app:

It uses the phone’s ambient light sensor and includes a calibration feature if you want to correlate relative values to lumens using a known reference. I’m not sure how linear the ambient sensors are across large changes in light intensity, but for a runtime graph, that’s a minor consideration, in my opinion.

And for us in the US — —

40C = 104F

60C = 140F

Nice job Den, great info, thanks for posting.

Glad this thing wont have too many thermal issues

Cool ideas, Sparky! Keep ’em comin’! :+1:

BTW, Andúril has a ‘sleep timer’ of sorts called Sunset. It slowly dims for an hour, then shuts off. A while back, ToyKeeper mentioned possibly adding a customizable timer for Sunset.

Candle Mode has an optional sleep timer as well. It can be set in 30-minute increments by double-clicking. Each double-click adds 30 minutes to the Candle Mode timer.

Lucky for us your power went out! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for this test. It seems like five 7135s is the way to go for most folks.

That would be the best bet for now, but im sure some want a imetiate shutdown timer, and dont like the dimming of sunset or the flickering of candle

Has anyone got any links to those plastic bowls??

Where sits the temp-sensor? On the ATTiny? Or is it external?
How hot gets the region around the battery and driver?

DBSAR says he got them from the dollar store in the previous video