*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Put me down for 2

Did you find the Eceen 10 watt solar panel on Banggood? I’ve searched on BG, but can’t find it, with or without the discount.

Amazon

Good idea Lux, i will add the link to the mail post topic OP.

In for 1

Thanks for the assist sbslider.

Amazon is where I was looking as well.

Thanks DBSAR for the idea of a 30 watt for charging two at the same time. Makes perfect sense in a power outage situation.

In for 1, thanks

Can this lantern run off of Samsung 30Q flat tops? If so, put me down for one.

It needs a batteries with a raised center contact on the + end. 30Q flat tops I’ve seen and handled don’t meet that requirement.

Correct.

The only flat tops I’ve seen that will work in a light like this are the Sanyo GA like I’m using in the BLF LT1 wrapped battery sets I’m selling.

@Stereodude, technically, the maximum is actually 20V.

I always say 18V because of things like giving 10% of voltage headroom.

On a related note, if you’re using a bare “12V” solar panel without any sort of voltage regulator, it can easily have an optimum working voltage approaching 18V.

I have a “12V” panel with an optimum working voltage of 17.5V and an open circuit voltage of 21.6V. Some chips will fry instantly if you exceed their maximum rating even at a tiny current, and we don’t know if the TP5100 is one of them. I’m not chancing it, my panels will be getting switch-mode buck converters and power protection circuits.

If you’re not sure about this stuff, stick to a panel with a built in USB socket and voltage regulator.

If you are looking at the specs for a bare panel there will be a “Vmp” number which is the output voltage under standard test conditions, bright sunlight. There is also a “Voc” number which is the Open Circuit voltage of the panel under the same bright std conditions. Voc is higher than Vmp. For example my homes 10 year old panels have a Vmp of 28.5 volts and a Voc of 36.1. You can see there can be quite a difference.

So the 30Q button tops would work.

Or you can add a solder blob to the top of the 30Q flat tops. Takes maybe 10 seconds per battery.

For anyone who already has one of those mono or polycrystalline 12-volt unregulated panels, they can get a cheap Solar controller from Amazon or many hardware stores that regulate the voltage to 12 ~13.5 volts for battery charging that can work to charge the lantern, and some of the better models even have a USB charging port. (I have tested some of them already with my later 40 & 50 watt rigid 12-volt panels, but have not did a video review on them yet.

put me down for 2 please

Or a magnet

You’re already down for 5; are you asking for another 2?

I’d be very concerned about using a magnet since it can move when screwing the tube on.