*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Thanks!

You may be one of the last ones though. I’m not sure if I’ll be restocking or doing up a few remaining sets for me and closing up shop.

What he said!

I think that is the reason why so few lamps charge over a USB-C to USB-C cable.
There is stuff deeply burried in the spec.
And David 2 from the eevblog found registers in an USB-C chip the manufacturer did not document in the official data sheet.
What didn`t make it easier.

Charge rate in amps of built in charger?

Hey hopefully someone could tell me how many amps each battery in the LT1 is charging at. Wandering how it compares to my Nitecore D4 that only charges ar 375ma with 4 batteries.

I have it plugged into the wall wart that came with my Samsung phone so guess its 2Amps.

The LT1 is designed to charge at either 1.5A (default) or 0.75A (optional for low power sources)
… or is that actually 1.475 and .75? I forget, and it’s way, way too many pages back to worry about being 0.025A off.

The part you’ll be more interested in - that 1.5A is spread over all the cells in the lantern. This is an important detail, as the charger has no way of knowing if it has a single low-current laptop pull or 4 30Q batteries installed. It will still get the lantern topped off in a reasonable amount of time and be incredibly unlikely to damage low current cells.

As a comparison to your charger — I have a GYRFALCON 4 bay charger.

It charges each bay independently.

I can set any/all bays to charge up to 4.2V for the 18650 battery — The charger does go higher though and the maximum amperage for each bay is 1A for a total of 4 Amps.

Ok so my D4 still charges slightly faster. Sorry 1 more question if I was charging of the small notebook solar panel would I have to go in programming and change the default to .75 or whatever?

I have a 285 watt panel on top my van now but still am going to buy a little notebook panel just because. Well backups of everything is the way.

Indeed. I don’t understand Sofirn’s reasoning behind this either. Especially with the lengths you and Sig went through to keep track of everyone. I also think it rather curious it’s claimed 620 codes went out when there were only 500 in the first batch, and that included sales to the GP, as well as fraudsters.

@Sparky yeah I definatelly need another charger. Especially when trying to charge 4 or more. Need a back up charger anyway and have been looking kinda. To many nice lights coming out lately soaking up too much money along with everything else.

So, has anyone else noticed there’s a reusable code to buy this off Banggood that is actually slightly cheaper than the group buy price if you skip shipping insurance? Even with insurance it’s within a few cents, and apparently anyone can just use it. It says the processing time is 2 days. I don’t think Sofirn is doing a very good job of taking care of the people in the group buy. I mean, we can apparently just order one like everyone else now, but I feel like they’re being rather ungrateful to you people who actually put in effort to design this thing.

correct, its default is 1.5 amps. (with the optional .75 amp setting (open charging bridge on the driver) for use when charging several LT1s from a solar charger, solar generator, or other remote lower power source. as the LT1 can run any from 1 to 4 cells, which are all in parallel, meaning if charging only 1 cell in the lantern the charge rate is 1500mAh, with four cells, each cell is charged equally at 375mAh.

If you buy at least a 10W panel from a reputable manufacturer (to make sure it really is 10W), then it should charge the LT1 as normal in strong sunlight, no modifications needed to the LT1.

The LT1 draws a maximum of 7.5W, but there’s a bit of overhead in the panel’s voltage regulator, so you need a bit more power to cover that.

You only need to open the LT1’s solder link for 0.75A charging if you have a smaller panel or you want to be able to charge in weaker sunlight. This comes at the price of disabling 1.5A charging. If you change your mind, you can switch back by resoldering the link.

Note that you have to physically use a soldering iron to change the charging current - it’s not something you can program by clicking the button. Basically, the microcontroller doesn’t have enough pins to support that function electronically.

Bigger panels won’t charge the LT1 any quicker in strong sunlight, but they will be able to charge the LT1 in weaker sunlight where a smaller panel would drop out and cause charging to stop.

If your panel is big enough - one of mine is 28W - then you can charge the LT1 and a powerbank in parallel when the sunlight is strong. If the sunlight weakens, you can still charge one device at a time.

Good grief. I just feel like this whole deal is just gonna implode before it ever gets going. It’s like we’re going backwards if you can just order straight up from banggood while those of us on the list are waiting years…

That’s weird. I can’t find it in Banggood’s product search - do you have a link, please?

Thanks you guys for all the ideas now all I need to do is to wait till the 2nd batch is available, order my LT1’s and wait some more…….this is torturous!

Thanks again.

Yup a certain coupon website pertaining to the country of manufacture is doing it for better than GB price via Banggood.

Ultimately it’s up to Sofirn how they sell them, they are a business and they will sell them however they can. Maybe the time required to deal with the codes etc isn’t worth it when banggood can buy a 100 or more lanterns at once?

https://couponsfromchina.com/2019/11/04/sofirn-blf-lt1-8x-lh351d-camping-light-flashlight-coupon-price-gearbest/

“[£55.00 20% OFF]Sofirn BLF LT1 8x LH351D Super Bright 2700K to 5000K Camping Light Multiple Operation Procedure Flashlight from Lights & Lighting on banggood.com https://banggood.app.link/WDTqsR52l1”:[£55.00 20% OFF]Sofirn BLF LT1 8x LH351D Super Bright 2700K to 5000K Camping Light Multiple Operation Procedure Flashlight from Lights & Lighting on banggood.com https://banggood.app.link/WDTqsR52l1

This is an app link, not sure if will work in browser?

Same here, I’m at 579 and 3 more with higher numbers, no code yet.

Thanks for the links, Big_Sam. It is strange to see it discounted so early on Banggood.

When the group buy is done, Sofirn will be putting the LT1 on general sale. It may be that someone at Banggood has jumped the gun with their product listing. Don’t get too excited until we know for sure.

I’ve also seen people here on BLF report that Banggood have advertised stuff as being available, but taken so long to ship that they’ve have given up and cancelled their orders. Caveat emptor.

wow, if this doesn’t just stink! So much for our list. How many will now purchase thru this link and forget about waiting on the list …. and who could blame them. How to tarnish a great GB in my opinion. Can’t blame Sofirn, they don’t want to make a little money over a long time.

BG also adds shipping to that.