BLF menber Sardion Master passed away on 8/18/12. More info in this thread.

Justin... an easier way to avoid any legal issues concerning a raffle would may be an auction style selling post (I hope SB doesn't mind). Essentially it would work like this:

Build a light for sale and start the price off at $5.

- First person to say "I'll take it" locks the price in at $5

- If someone comes along next and says "I'll take it", then the price goes to $10 and the first bid is nulled out.

- Much like ebay with $5 bid increments. Bid time can stop at a certain date, or whenever there is no activity for 24hrs (up to you).

Just thinking...but that way it's nothing more than a sales thread. After which you can make the donation as you please. That would avoid any potential "raffle" style issues. If anyone sees a problem with this, please point it out.

- Tim

Justin, how about a collection? Since we would trust you with the raffle, I’d be happy to simply put forward a donation instead.

I sent a PM to our admin. Let’s see what he thinks first.

Thanks everyone.

My sincere condolences to his wife and kids…God Bless them

In believe a raffle with 100% of proceeds given in a charitable and fully disclosed manner is
beyond legal ramification or oversight. File an applicable form with your accountant and
you should be fine.

Sorry for your loss.. I didnt really know him but I read a lot of his posts and this makes me sad.. we guys are all thousands of miles apart but we all can feel it.

I’ve been reading some on this. Only registered charitable organizations can legally have raffles and the raffle has to be pre-registered and pre-approved by every state that it is being held in. (for the internet all states would have to approve it, in order to be legal). It’s very difficult, but of course, that’s to keep the bad people from doing bad stuff, which they still do. I will do something soon, so stay tuned.

I’m just waiting to hear back from sb- our admin, before making the final decision.

Justin

Thanks for stepping up and doing this Justin.

Ahh Yes , it is the internet. Isn’t it.
Perhaps there’s a minimum in gross proceeds/contribution?

Regardless, there’s a gentleman for you…Thanks OL

Bless him …. and always thanks for all his support and friendship….

condolences to the family, and RIP. god bless you all during these hard times.

Condolences to his family.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

May the Lord look out for him and his Family……my Heart goes out to them.

PP donations are legal. Set up a donation link. People who donate would be entered into your flashlight giveaway. Seems pretty straight forward, legal and fair.

There’s an idea.

That is terribly shocking news. The Master was a knowledgeable, articulate and courteous addition to this is forum. My heartfelt sympathy for his family.

Unbelievable.

From what I saw, he was very cool and great to have as a member. All the best to his family and those close to him.

sadFoy

Sad news…my deepest condolences to the family.

sorry to hear…didn’t know him but this is bad news…rip…

Sounds good to me.