BLF Q8 user interface / manual /request for a video

Got it! Thanks!

I think I’ll just stay with the 3 minute heat regulation for now. If it’s cold out and I need more light I can just double click and use my hand to monitor temperature.

As long as I can return to the defaults I can play with it and figure out where I’m screwing up. Thanks again xCentrino!

Factory reset is nearly the same if you are in ramping mode.

From OFF or ON : 3x click > double click > double click > Press and hold for 2-3 seconds It will flash 4 times to confirm reset.

You are in MODES. If you do quick presses, then you can cycle endlessly through modes. When you have a pause from 1.2sec or more, the next click switches the lamp off.
With a click&hold you can go backwards through modes.

Do what xCentrino wrote. A reset is easier.

What xCentrino wrote. Reset.

That is best done with a reset

For another temperature setting:
You are in RAMPING: keep holding the button for 3 to 4sec to go to the config menue (Better you ramp a bit up, than ramp down and keep holding, so it runs in MOON instead of FULL)
The lamp does two short blinks and one long. Now the lamp expects your input for setting #1.
After this the lamps does two short blinks and two long. Now the expects your input for setting #2.
And so on. The two blinks are a hint for you to count to get the setting number.
Immediately after it blinks #3 you push the button twice (=for temp.) Now you have two options: You click once within 5sec, then you don’t change the temperature or you wait longer, then the lamp starts to heat up. Let it heat up till it is unpleasant, then click = Temp. is saved.
Now you can wait till the lamp is thru all settings. 4 blinks as indication.

Have you an idea where you get stuck?

I don’t know where the problem is. The arrows indicate how subtables are connected. What it is stands above a table. Somewhere in the grey fields stands how to reach it, blink signal and how to exit. If you have a lamp it should be understandable.
Some things must be done in 1.2sec. .

Thank you for your help xCentrino

Need help with factory reset please.

Here ya’ go… :+1: . Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I think I’m in Muggle mode, and it’s not getting out of it with 6 clicks. Brightness is reduced. My light blinks 3 times, pauses…then repeats. What mode am I in, and how do I reset it?

Scoutniagara

I have the same problem. When i turn it on it goes to about 100 lumens and then it blinks 4x 3times. Cannot get it anywhere, tried factory reset and it’s not helping.

Sounds like weak cells. Have you check the batts? What brand/model cells? How old?

The Q8 does not have a muggle mode - it's Narsil.

Cells are ncr18650ga, maybe 10 cycles and afaik q8 pulls around 4a/cell so that shouldnt be a problem.

Switched to samsung 25r, same sh1t.

The 4x3 blink pattern sounds like LVP kicking in. It's an original Q8, stock firmware?

It "thinks" the batts are low - weird.

This is what it does

Yes, original everything.

Yea, sure looks like LVP. It thinks it's measuring low voltage coming from the cells. Seems like there's something dropping voltage. The voltage detection is done internally to the MCU - it doesn't use an external voltage divider like we used to do on the older MCU's like the 13A.

Could be Batt+ or batt-. It measures the delta. Batt+ comes into the MCU via the D1 diode on the driver, so maybe the diode is bad. Or there's a problem in the voltage path of batt-. Could be a bad connection, like where the battery tube tightens down on the ground ring of the driver. There really should be brass there because brass wears much better than the super thin copper of the driver PCB. Could be oxidation there - I'd try cleaning that contact surface. Hhmm, isopropyl alcohol, or if you have some sort of electrical contact cleaner. I use NO-OX-ID I got from Illumn.com years ago. Check for wear - the actual point of contact on a Q8 is very thin on the outer edge of the ground ring. Also clean the brass ring surface for the batt+ contact.

It's normal to see wear, but if it's completely worn through or oxidized heavily, it's a problem. You can't see the oxidation. In the pic below, the ground ring contact is to the outside of those screws,

Guess if you've been tightening up the tube hard on the driver over the years, the wear will eventually weaken the electrical connection. It's always been a concern of mine, though I haven't seen it happen.

I am SO lost. I just want it to do a simple on and off at max power. No ramping, no strobe, etc. Was able to get it to reset to factory mode. Can someone give me the steps to make this function like a cheapo flashlight…as in ON and OFF only?

You can set it to 1 mode, where the 1 mode is at max power. But you can't get rid of strobes and other features. But 1 mode will work as you want:

• From OFF, 1 click to MAX
  • From ON, 1 click to OFF

Link to the manual: BLF Q8 NarsilM Reference Manual in PDF

If you Factory Reset the light, then you are in ramping mode. So first thing you want to do is switch to Mode Sets.

Then once in Mode Sets, you want to change the Mode Set to #1.

I could walk you through the configuration UI to do this, but I would want to do it first myself, so I'd need access to an original Q8. Do you need more explicit instructions than what's in the manual?

I was playing with this myself last night. Mine doesn’t seem to have 12 mode sets. I think it stopped at 8. It is a 1.0 version according to the flashes. What might that be?

Only could find one v1.0 and that's NarsilM v1.0 from May 2017 and it has 12 modes. Not sure where 8 modes came from.

Earliest Narsil I got is v1.1 and it also has 12 modes. I think RampingIOS had no modes sets, only ramping.