(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

I am new to the Q8. I would be interested in extending the battery in a Q8.

This is a old-ish thread. Is there a possibility of purchasing extended battery components at this point?

I am new to this intimate relationship with the manufacturers. Very Cool! (Yeah, I’m showing my age -> I meant, like, totally random) :slight_smile:

The Q8 batt tube extension project did not happen, possibly because of tube threading variations in various Q8 models and generations. Maybe the marketing spin didn't envision high sales on this as well, but the manufacturer seemed to dropped it a while back.

OK, thanks!

Your name came up on an other thread, sir! I am looking for the source code for a Q8 NarsilM 1.3. I am interested in doing some mods.

Should find it in this shared folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pNgOmBS2h4elpBcer-IkIxZBNtkKZPqa?usp=sharing

Let me know if ok. The zip file should be the source, and looks like I got a .hex file pre-built for the Q8. NarsilM 1.3 supports lots of lights and driver configurations.

Thank You!

Still trying to figure out 1S and 2S nomenclature. Source code appreciated. Will look over and try and mod for my needs.

To reprise from another thread: I would like, from off, via button hold, to pause longer, so I can activate at Moon without ramping up, and would like a way to go to Police Strobe directly.

Thanks for the reply. You are somewhat of a guru here and I appreciate the attention.

If there is a link to how to flash the ATiny85 on these flashlights, I would appreciate a clue :slight_smile:

Sincerely, Bernard

1S and 2S typically is used to refer to 1 battery in series, or 2 batteries in series. 2S should be 6-8V while 1S is 3-4V.

Hhmm, there's some good info on here for flashing. Think the Q8 doesn't have pogo pins defined, so you'll need a programming setup. I'd start here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/30672

You'll need that clip setup, same setup for the ATtiny13A.

Is there still any interest in this?

If nothing else, then I think Sofirn should start selling BLF Q8 upgrade kits including a good AR lens and brass screws, and maybe even top tier springs :stuck_out_tongue:

Truth be told, probably not, but…

I always preferred the original Q8, warmer and floodier.

I think the new Q8 was made more CW and throwier.

My Q8s were a pain in the ass to charge, as the O-rings would always stretch and make “tongues” sticking out when tightening. Almost lopped off a section way too many times, that I’d have to give it ¼-turn and tuck it in, another ¼-turn and tuck it in, etc. Hated that.

So my go-to light is my DC7 (it’s right here in front of me, in fact). Same throwy CW beam as the new Q8 (yecch), but built-in charging means I never have to open it, so that’s been my go-to sody-pop-can light.

Everyone seems to want throw, throw, throw, even in multi-emitter lights with smaller individual reflectors

So… if with built-in charging, and a warmer, floodier beam with no artifacts… I might.

@lightbringe, the original Q8 still exists on the Sofirn store…

I am interested in the extended tube.

I got enough to last me through the next Zombie Apocalypse.

I could still use a few 8x18650 tube kits if they will fit the LT1 lantern.

Yeah, I’ll ask them again.

Hopefully they’ll see the money sign in their eyes this time :slight_smile:

Maybe they’ll also accept the idea of a Sofirn Q8/BLF Q8 upgrade kit to make them brighter :slight_smile:

2s2p buck driven 6v xhp50.3 q8?

@lixivium, personally, I don’t think it’s needed.

A simple 6A buck+FET driver with Anduril would honestly make for much higher regulated efficiency and whatnot.
4x LEDs in parallel have low VFs even at 6A, so it’s perfectly fine I think.

It would also allow us to reuse most parts except for the driver obviously, lowering costs

With so many Q8’s and LT1’s sold, you would think the 8x18650 carriers to be a no-brainer for them to make some extra $ (while making Q8’s and LT1’s more attractive to sell more). They already sent out prototypes and ready to produce them now.

What ever happened to the red anodized LT1 2-channel with deep red sst20’s and 4K emitters? There are several who want to buy one NOW and it would be a simple mod for them to produce it. After Sofirn fell short again, the guy who stepped up to produce MCPCB’s with emitters mounted, became a political prisoner and lost everything.

BSM, thanks for asking again.

I honestly have some questions to ask:

How can it not be compatible? I don’t get it.

Unless they changed the battery tube from the LT1 and the Q8 series of lights…

Driver is made for 1S4P (well, 1S; doesn’t really care about how many in parallel).

Stacking in taller tubes implies 2S or more, which’d likely pop the stock drivers.

Or use a carrier that fidgets with the arrangement to put the cells in parallel (big-ass conductors through the center, insulated platform in the middle separating the 2 stacks, etc.).

And do with within the confines of the stock tube’s width.

I forgot to post the new information:

Sooo…. When Q8 extension?