(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

You still want one? I got a spare. I'll trade for it - get me a vaccine appt and the board is yours!

Actually, I'm picking up a doc note today to get a NYS vaccine, but of course the only available appt's are like 8-9 hours upstate - ridiculous. I got an idea - let's create more sites upstate so we only have to do 1-2 shots per day... Down state is way too bizy.

Seriously I got a spare out here on the island...

I can’t do anything about the vax appts, but I can certainly toss ya some paypal bux for it. :laughing:

Gf just got her first (she mentioned which one, but I forgot), but someone in her family hunted down and bagged an appt. Second one is in a coupla weeks. No ill effects (yet?) other than a feeling “like I got punched in the arm”.

Both my daughters got their shots - one is a HS teacher, other works for a non-profit for the disabled.

PM me your address - might be able to get it out today.

Has anyone contacted Sofirn recently about producing the 8 x 18650 kit? Please bug them! :smiley:

I could just imagine someone parking himself at Barry’s house and taking this approach to get that 8pak…

@flashpilot, I will ask them today.

It certainly has been a while since I’ve asked them.

It’d be nice if they could just do one run.

Im interested, following if happens finally.

That seems like such a subtle approach!

Thanks for asking. Im sorry to keep bugging you. :smiley:

I am new to the Q8. I would be interested in extending the battery in a Q8.

This is a old-ish thread. Is there a possibility of purchasing extended battery components at this point?

I am new to this intimate relationship with the manufacturers. Very Cool! (Yeah, I’m showing my age -> I meant, like, totally random) :slight_smile:

The Q8 batt tube extension project did not happen, possibly because of tube threading variations in various Q8 models and generations. Maybe the marketing spin didn't envision high sales on this as well, but the manufacturer seemed to dropped it a while back.

OK, thanks!

Your name came up on an other thread, sir! I am looking for the source code for a Q8 NarsilM 1.3. I am interested in doing some mods.

Should find it in this shared folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pNgOmBS2h4elpBcer-IkIxZBNtkKZPqa?usp=sharing

Let me know if ok. The zip file should be the source, and looks like I got a .hex file pre-built for the Q8. NarsilM 1.3 supports lots of lights and driver configurations.

Thank You!

Still trying to figure out 1S and 2S nomenclature. Source code appreciated. Will look over and try and mod for my needs.

To reprise from another thread: I would like, from off, via button hold, to pause longer, so I can activate at Moon without ramping up, and would like a way to go to Police Strobe directly.

Thanks for the reply. You are somewhat of a guru here and I appreciate the attention.

If there is a link to how to flash the ATiny85 on these flashlights, I would appreciate a clue :slight_smile:

Sincerely, Bernard

1S and 2S typically is used to refer to 1 battery in series, or 2 batteries in series. 2S should be 6-8V while 1S is 3-4V.

Hhmm, there's some good info on here for flashing. Think the Q8 doesn't have pogo pins defined, so you'll need a programming setup. I'd start here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/30672

You'll need that clip setup, same setup for the ATtiny13A.

Is there still any interest in this?

If nothing else, then I think Sofirn should start selling BLF Q8 upgrade kits including a good AR lens and brass screws, and maybe even top tier springs :stuck_out_tongue:

Truth be told, probably not, but…

I always preferred the original Q8, warmer and floodier.

I think the new Q8 was made more CW and throwier.

My Q8s were a pain in the ass to charge, as the O-rings would always stretch and make “tongues” sticking out when tightening. Almost lopped off a section way too many times, that I’d have to give it ¼-turn and tuck it in, another ¼-turn and tuck it in, etc. Hated that.

So my go-to light is my DC7 (it’s right here in front of me, in fact). Same throwy CW beam as the new Q8 (yecch), but built-in charging means I never have to open it, so that’s been my go-to sody-pop-can light.

Everyone seems to want throw, throw, throw, even in multi-emitter lights with smaller individual reflectors

So… if with built-in charging, and a warmer, floodier beam with no artifacts… I might.

@lightbringe, the original Q8 still exists on the Sofirn store…

I am interested in the extended tube.

I got enough to last me through the next Zombie Apocalypse.