(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

I do as well, count me in for a set of both if they manufacture the BLF Q8 type.

Do you think they would be interested in reworking the Q8 head to run a single sbt-90.2 with a big reflector?

It would increase the demand for these battery tubes and could take the place of the BLF version of the SP70 that never happened.

Awesome idea! Yes - make it and they will come...

I would defo get a Sofirn Q8 with additional tube.

BlueSwordM, what does Sofirn say about the extension tubes for BLF Q8? I would still like to get one.

Not only for my Sofirn Q8, but Id like to extend a few of my Sofirn LT1 Lanterns for 8p x 18650. Too bad this never got off the ground… just like a few other crashed Sofirn projects that would have sold well. :cry:

If this ever comes to fruition, please put me down for 3.

One day, one day.

I still have one of the prototypes, and it is built well, it is functional and seems safe. They could start producing them as it is now.

This seems horribly unstable :smiley: I’d prefer an circle of 6-7 cells instead if we truly wanted the runtime just to make the base a bit fatter.

Well, I think contacting Sofirn once again seems like a good plan.

I’d love an extension myself, even if it had some small compromises. Getting 2x the runtime is a very salivating proposition.

Hey, quick digression, but anyone got a spare(??) Q8 LED board?

I ordered one back in October, and one big charlie foxtrot after another, I still ain’t got one.

I got the reflector I ordered, a driver board I didn’t order, but still no LED board, all since before Hallowe’en. :confounded:

Last order was shipped but then an “exception error” had it sent back. I give up…

I have a whole Q8 NIB.

I got… 2 for sure, don’t recall if I pulled the trigger on a 3rd.

Naw, I’m modding a Maglite, and the Q8 reflector is almost a perfect fit.

Got a Trustfire drop-in that alllllllmost fits with a bit of filing-down, and need to make a sort of collar for the negative connection, but the beam’s a bit ringy.

Still wanted to take the Q8 reflector+board approach…

What a teaser. This is exactly what Im looking for. Mounted atop a tripod or hung from a tree would provide the perfect long-burn wide area lighting. The R&D/proof-of-concept has been completed and successful, so it makes you wonder why they dont want to take out money. Come on Sofirn, this is super easy cash for you! What are you waiting for?

Maybe I missed it. What compromises? :partying_face:

I think keeping it 8P would require a carrier arrangement of some sort. Stock driver doesn’t support 2S…

I have a spare led board around here somewhere, lemme look for it…

Kewl, tnx!

Yes, the extended version does not use the stock battery tube, and it uses battery carriers in every segment that pass on the batt+ and batt- to the next carrier and tube so everything is kept parallel and connected, even if the carrier has no batteries in it. It is done well, but I reckon that the extension will not be ultra-cheap. But the repeatability of the system makes it worth everything :smiley: (here’s the video again, as linked in the OP, that Sofirn made with their prototypes, I’m sure that they had lots of fun)

A modern day 6D Maglite.