(BLF) Sofirn Q8 V1.5: The XPL HI monster, DIY parts + Extended 8x18650 tubes GB Interest List

I could still use a few 8x18650 tube kits if they will fit the LT1 lantern.

Yeah, I’ll ask them again.

Hopefully they’ll see the money sign in their eyes this time :slight_smile:

Maybe they’ll also accept the idea of a Sofirn Q8/BLF Q8 upgrade kit to make them brighter :slight_smile:

2s2p buck driven 6v xhp50.3 q8?

@lixivium, personally, I don’t think it’s needed.

A simple 6A buck+FET driver with Anduril would honestly make for much higher regulated efficiency and whatnot.
4x LEDs in parallel have low VFs even at 6A, so it’s perfectly fine I think.

It would also allow us to reuse most parts except for the driver obviously, lowering costs

With so many Q8’s and LT1’s sold, you would think the 8x18650 carriers to be a no-brainer for them to make some extra $ (while making Q8’s and LT1’s more attractive to sell more). They already sent out prototypes and ready to produce them now.

What ever happened to the red anodized LT1 2-channel with deep red sst20’s and 4K emitters? There are several who want to buy one NOW and it would be a simple mod for them to produce it. After Sofirn fell short again, the guy who stepped up to produce MCPCB’s with emitters mounted, became a political prisoner and lost everything.

BSM, thanks for asking again.

I honestly have some questions to ask:

How can it not be compatible? I don’t get it.

Unless they changed the battery tube from the LT1 and the Q8 series of lights…

Driver is made for 1S4P (well, 1S; doesn’t really care about how many in parallel).

Stacking in taller tubes implies 2S or more, which’d likely pop the stock drivers.

Or use a carrier that fidgets with the arrangement to put the cells in parallel (big-ass conductors through the center, insulated platform in the middle separating the 2 stacks, etc.).

And do with within the confines of the stock tube’s width.

I forgot to post the new information:

Sooo…. When Q8 extension?

Just now I tried putting the extension tube for Astrolux MF04S on the Sofirn Q8 (original). It worked. But eight cells of 18650 seemed too much overloading, and the Q8 head heated up noticeably. I quickly disengaged, for fear of burning it with excessive battery power.

I don’t have an Astrolux MF04S, but it seems to me that inserting another 4 cells might place the new 4 in series with the original four Q8 cells. That means you doubled the voltage from a nominal 3.7 to 7.4 volts. You are probably lucky that the driver did not burn out. But that is a guess as I am not familiar with the tube you used.

Thanks MtnDon for your post.

Indeed I was foolish to overload my old Q8 with eight cells of 18650, using the extension tube for the much larger Astrolux MF04S.

Will wait for the proper Sofirn extension tube with a new driver (?).