BLF Ti - post your pics and specs

Yes, post from an image hosting site by cop/paste a direct link in the “sunset” text editor button. Use 100% for size.

As far as I can tell, the button retainer threads in just fine, but it stops when the smooth back portion hits the body threads. It simply can’t be screwed in any farther than that… but it needs to go about half a millimeter deeper.

However, the switch is stiff enough that I can gently tail-stand it on the button and it won’t switch modes. It’d just be a lot nicer if the button wasn’t sticking out.

It sounds like the threading is too close to the tail of the light. Does the threading continue past the inner edge of the clip holes? That’s where mine stops and it assembles to flush. Could you lightly sand /bevel the inner lip of the outer edge of the retainer? Mine has ~1mm long edge below the outer bevel.
Or maybe it’s hanging up on the clip holes.

I’ll have to check again, next time I take the switch apart to tweak it. I’m at least going to remove a tiny bit more rubber so I can fully tighten the inner retaining ring.

BTW, I got an unexpected comment from my partner tonight. She saw the tailcap trit glowing and picked up the light, looked it over, and said that she likes how this light looks since it’s not boring or plain like my other lights.

This was a surprise, since I figured she would find it too blingy.

FWIW, I have it configured in shorty mode with a clip and (so far) only one trit.

So… WWEFANS… I thought I should mention that what you made is girlfriend-approved!

Quote: “Whether it’s a mobile phone, a vacuum cleaner or a chair, the very best examples of industrial design seamlessly blend form and function to make products truly desirable.”

Or: Don’t you buy no ugly flashlight!

The Reylight is beautiful on the outside. All it needs is your beautiful firmware on the inside to be perfect. :slight_smile:

T_K, have you seen this:

TK, just checking, did you try tightening the ring all the way with the switch inside loose?then you can back up the switch into the ring and adjust that way. It may help get the ring tighter (it did for me ).

Yes, that’s how I’ve been doing it. I took another shot at it today though, repeatedly tightening the retainer as far is it would go, backing off, cleaning and lubing the parts, tightening it again as far as it could go, backing off, cleaning and lubing, and eventually I got it to go in far enough. I think I needed to wear down the threads a little.

After removing a very thin additional slice of rubber from the post, I’m also able to tighten the battery-side retaining ring far enough too. :slight_smile:

So, today’s tweaks got the switch working well. :slight_smile: It’s recessed barely far enough to tail stand, and everything inside is tight enough to stay put on its own. The press action has a few hair-widths of play because I removed too much rubber, but it’s not loose enough to rattle. The EE X6 switch feels good in this host; I’m glad I had one plus an EE A6 tail assembly to replace it with. (BTW, no, the A6 retaining ring doesn’t fit the Reylight; only the X6 does)

I’m pretty sure the tail isn’t waterproof, since all the rubber parts are pressed against threads. Water should still be able to leak through the threads. And I don’t have an o-ring or glass lens in front of the optics, but I suspect there may be room for one or both. But that’s okay; it doesn’t have to be waterproof.

I agree with some of the designs in that article. :slight_smile:

As for the Reylight Ti, I’m using cypreus2 firmware on it. It’s similar to BLF-A6, but the hidden modes act as shortcuts into a completely separate larger hidden mode loop, it has no soft config options, and it uses motion-freezing party strobes instead of tactical strobes because I’m easily amused.

That’s pretty darn neat. Wish I had you mad skillz.

I am trying out the 18650 configuration. It’s nice and grippy but pretty darn heavy. I think I’ll stick to 18350. If you stay in 18650, the light benefits from a longer clip, this is no longer ideal when using as 18350. Next iteration, make the body longer and head shorter so that a longer clip can be used.

About clips… it’d be nice if the area under the clip was smooth and/or recessed a little so it wouldn’t tear up the item it’s clipped to. It grips well, but it also can wear through cloth after a while.

And about weight… would also be nice to see a future version with narrower walls. Slightly wider inner diameter to allow wrapped cells and untrimmed lenses/reflectors, narrower outer diameter, and no trit slots in the head. Preferably a smaller switch mechanism too, like perhaps what the CNQG brass 18650 light uses (especially the original version). Keep the tail button design and body texture if possible; they’re very nice. I just think it’d be nice to have a smaller, lighter version.

The CNGQ design looks like this:

I agree completely! I would buy v2 if it was smaller and lighter. Max 23mm.

Smaller, lighter, as in 14650? 14500? 10440? I like the 14650 size Minimags I’ve done. I have smallish hands(short fingers really) and the tube length is just the width of my hand with a smaller dia than 18650 lights. Though 16650/16340 would be more flexible for tube extensions etc.

Still 18350? The brass beauty is 21mm. Imagine the blf ti in 21mm.

If it was 18350 only to keep it small and slim I’d be all over it.

If the v2 were significantly narrower, it might not be able to have an extension tube. The extra thickness makes the extender a lot easier. Also, if it were as narrow as the CNQG brass 18650 light, it wouldn’t be big enough to fit a triple. If it was even narrower (16340 or 14500), it wouldn’t be able to fit a standard 17mm driver.

But extension tube or not, triple or single, 18650 or 18350 or 14500, I think a smaller version would be nice. I’m not terribly picky about the details, but I really like the brass 18650’s size and shape. It’s barely larger than some 1xAA lights, yet has a lot more power and output.

BTW, er, um, does WWEFANS/Rey read this thread? I’d imagine that ideas and suggestions won’t matter if he’s not subscribed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, sure. I subed to this thread. I'm a good listener. Even this GB is done, the suggetion is also very important for us.

Thanks for the ideas and sharings.

Okay, awesome. I just didn’t know if anyone had mentioned this thread to you. Thanks!

V1 really is a very pretty light. :slight_smile:

Yes. If v2 was smaller. Id buy more for sure. You’re right TK. If it was 21mm, you would need to supply an optic or reflector. 23mm, like a convoy, will fit a triple, no trit slots. Id want a slim version, we can put the trits in the tail.

Personally I don’t find the BLF Ti to be too big or heavy in 18650 guise. Ok in the hand it feels a little heavier, but then it should. But EDC’ing it in my pocket I can’t tell it from a Convoy S2+.

I EDC it in my right hand jeans pocket, facing down clipped to the pocket with the torch in the pocket.

As you can see, it’s certainly in the same size class as other 18650 tube lights.

As for a smaller version. Well one thing that dictated the Ti’s diameter is the trits. If you forgo room for trits then you can make it narrower. But I think it was a good compromise.

As for 14500 style lights. I’m not against these, but buying one as a host just makes it difficult to source parts. There is a real limited choice of drivers and no DTP boards, at least not a Noctigon, as the smallest is 16mm.

I think this lack of ‘parts’ would make any such host build far more niche.

Plus there is the issue of powering it. Remember a 14500 is only 700-900mAh at best. Which even with a 3.04A Qlite style driver will give you truly poxy runtimes.

As there are some reasonable 16650’s on the market today, then maybe a slim 16650 would be a good stop gap. But I suspect too many people would then want 18650 support, so you might as well just make it 18650….

I always liked the idea of an 18500. Ok it won’t be any narrower, but by the same measure it would be no wider than an 18350 light. But would give much better runtimes.

An 18500 triple could make for very compact torch, shorter than most 14500 reflector lights.

_

That said, the more I think about it. A slim 16650 with deep carry clip and single trit in the tail switch sounds like it could be interesting. Not sure what drivers, optics and stars would fit.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a scaled up version of this:

Simple and sleek. But 18650 compatible.

Sure is. Got my OCD-clips today, so I had to assemble two lights and take some photos.. [ --> BOT ]