Blue S2+ flashlight, for guys, for your bro!

It releases the hidden smoke.

Could someone clarify how this works? Once you place an order, isn’t the card charged immediately? How is the amount going to get adjusted when the card has already been charged?

So I finally built a blue S2+. I put a 485nm blue XP-E2 in mine to make a blue blue light! Love it!

It was pretty hard to photograph though. My camera didn’t really know what to do with all that pure blue light. Its a much more saturated blue color in real life.

Shining it around takes all the color out of stuff, as you’d expect:

I believe there’s probably a little UV in this emitter because the orange plastic in the toy is fluorescing a bit. And that white hotspot in the middle doesn’t exist in real life - my camera made it up.

I got confused as well with Aliexpress. Basically you can “buy” the items then another step takes you towards paying for it. So in essence you’re committing to buying something before you pay. At that point you can wait for the seller to adjust the amount then follow through with your credit card on alipay. If you’ve paid already the invoicing transaction is over and it’s too late. You can always “open dispute” to get the discount refunded but you may as well wait until after you get your light to confirm everything is in working order as you can’t open 2 disputes.

Sorry that I’ve been too busy to reply to all the posts. There is no reason to open a dispute. Just message Simon through the Ali store and let him know you asked for but did not receive your BLF discount on your order and be sure to include your order number. Ask him for a partial refund or credit if you want to place another order. He’s very good about taking care of things like this. Things like this do get missed occasionally as he handles most of the business himself making it hard not to miss something here and there. The little help he has could miss something too. It’s happened to me a few times in the ridiculous number of dealings I’ve had with Simon but he’s made it right every single time. He’s very honest and more than fair. Just contact him and he’ll take care of it.

I must admit I can’t think of what I would need a light like that for but I love it. The coolness factor there is top notch! The blue on blue is awesome. Well done! :beer:

I really like this design and would love to see a pre-made option for the convoys but, imo it has a major flaw. Instead of being clipped to the tail cap it should be clipped to the main body. It can be tensioned enough to stay put as long as its built using the right material.
The way it is now it’s going to rub a spiral groove in the main body from unscrewing the tail cap unless it’s bent so that it doesn’t touch the body but then it will not have any retention.
The armytek wizard pro was the first light I used with a clip of this design and they got it right imo. It is built using top notch .045” spring temper stainless steel (316ss maybe?) And the bend radius is large enough (1/4”) to clip onto the bill of a cap and stay there.
The A6 clip would have been better than the wizard’s if they would have used thicker material and a larger bend radius. It’s made out of titanium. Way better than any stainless but mine had less than 1/8” bend radius. It would not slide in my pocket on my carrhartt pants or normal blue jeans. I reshaped mine to a 1/4” bend radius. Now it slides in and out very easily.
Another flaw with the A6 was the thickness of the material. It’s titanium but it’s only .030” titanium. Pretty flimsy. It needs to be at least .040” thick to have the stiffness needed to grip the body enough to keep from spinning so easily and also have enough tension to grip your pocket and not slide out. (.045” would be ideal)
I built a custom clip for an Convoy S5 Triple Nichia that I put together. I used .040” 6alv4 titanium sheet metal. It is a deep carry design like yours except without the wings. I bored and tapped two screw holes in the body just below the tail cap and hard mounted it with 2-56 titanium torx head screws. It works great. The light rides low in the pocket and the clip does not scratch the light. The .040” titanium gives better retention and it’s tougher than the stainless.
Titanium doesn’t mind heat as much as other metals so if you mess up or don’t like the bend you just heat it up till its cherry red and bend away. It’s easy to adjust the tension this way.
Another cool thing with titanium is it can be flame anodized. Sand and smooth and polish it up and then heat it up with a butane or any other torch and you get some really nice effects. If you don’t like it, buff it off and try again.
Sorry for rambling but I got kinda excited when I saw this clip. I’ve been wanting an off shelf the item like this for awhile and I think your design is really close to being good to go. I hope you consider my recommendations.

Move the mount location to the body so the clip doesn’t rotate with the tail cap.

.040” minimum to .045” titanium (BEST) or high quality spring tempered stainless.(Pretty good)

3/16 - 1/4” bend radius on the bend that rides the pocket.

Start a pocket clip design thread and let’s see what the masses think….

It also works well to put a business card or similar under the end of the clip while unscrewing the light. Simple, easy, no scratches.

Well, I don’t have time to start another thread right now but you brought up a valid point. Near a month ago I communicated that to Simon with a suggested tweak to the design moving the mounting position from the tailcap to the recessed spot at the end of the tube where it meets the tailcap. I don’t know if Simon is going to implement that last change or not but if he does then the issue has been resolved. If he decided not to implement that last change then there’s the option ToyKeeper just mentioned or you can just pull out a little on the clip when you’re unscrewing the tail. If you don’t want to do that you can always just remove the head to access the battery and again, no potential scratching. I didn’t post about that change because I don’t know if he’s going to do it. I tweaked the design several times and he may have just been tired of changes at that point. I’m hoping for an update soon. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the input and for the record I agree with everything you said about the A6 clip design.

Question about how they’re made —- did yours come with
— a driver retaining ring threaded and screwed in to hold the driver in the pill?
— a couple of solder spots to hold the driver to the pill, or
— a driver retaining ring that was soldered to the pill?

(I bought a couple of sale price GB T64C*8 blue S2+ lights, a month apart — first one came with a retaining ring, later one with solder spots)
(I have a couple of red S2+ lights from MtnElectronics, both came with retaining rings)

I’m curious whether this is a third party change or if Convoy is doing it that way now.

[quote=RotorHead64]

Thanks for getting this clip in the works! It looks like a decent clip if its sturdy. I really like a deep carry style clip so I’m looking forward to getting one of these to try. It reminds me of the clips on my Olight S20 & S30, which are pretty good.

Personally I prefer a clip that is attached with screws rather than the detachable style, the nicest ones I’ve seen are the ones on the eagletacs like on the D25 Mini series, they’re high quality and very sturdy.

The current screw on type from Convoy/fastech/banggood/MTN have been reported to be flimsy. An improved model of that version would be nice, or does anyone know where to get a more sturdy one?

Rey’s (WWEFANS) titanium screw-on clip is sturdier. However, I have also heard it can bend out of shape and doesn’t spring back. Personally, I haven’t experienced that despite using one on my EDC for a few months, but maybe I’m nicer to my clips.

It’s not as strong as an Olight clip or an EagleTac clip, but it’s working fine for me.

It’s been posted elsewhere and even has it’s own thread but in case you don’t know, the new deep carry clip is available in Simon’s store now. All reports so far are excellent. Quite sturdy and great fit.
Here is the link to buy the new clip: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/universal-clip-suitable-for-S2-S2-M1-C8/330416_32579921654.html

Here’s what it looks like:

Shown here on a Convoy S2+ shorty making it a sweet EDC IMO.

I only have a few days experience with the new clips but so far I think they are awesome. I can tell you that they are much stronger than they look. The clip has a very solid grip on the flashlight. Trying to rotate the clip around the tube takes effort. There may be a few small tweaks in the future but I can tell you with complete confidence that even if you could find another clip to fit this light, you will not get a clip of this quality for such an amazingly low price. Simon strikes again! :slight_smile:

Yup, got to say you guys did great work on these clips. They fit a multitude of my 18650 lights well, and are perfect on the Convoys they were designed for.

Now please make one for 14500 sized tubes! :bigsmile:

One step at a time buddy. I’m going to work on getting 14500 lights in the Convoy line before I worry about the clips. :stuck_out_tongue:

J-Dub, Great photos, thanks :wink: I don’t have my clips yet, still waiting. Looking at your photos, I’m worried that the tip of the clip will scratch the tube when removing the tail cap? Probably not a good idea removing the clip every time one should charge batteries? Think I’ll settle with fitting the clip a slot lower than yours. I’m not too worried about loosing the true ‘deep carry’ characteristic… What do you think?

That’s a legit concern. I just hold the clip when I’m unscrewing it so it’s slightly off the body as I’m turning. ToyKeeper suggested just sliding a playing card (or just about anything really) between the clip and tube when you’re unscrewing it. Finally, as you mentioned, if you don’t care if the clip sits that deep just put it on the lower groove so that it’s mounted to the body and there’s nothing to scratch since it remains stationary.

:wink:

That is a great idea!