Bluetooth lights?

I do get what you’re saying, but I don’t think Bluetooth is the correct way to achieve easier configuration- the number of times most people will change the settings doesn’t justify the additional cost and complexity of adding Bluetooth, IMO.

I’d also be concerned that if the Flashlight config app became unavailable, then you’d be unable to change the configuration of your light.

One day I will actually get into reflashing my own drivers, I’m not that smart though so I need a light I don’t mind if I brick :stuck_out_tongue:

I miss the old drivers with stars on the back you could solder to change configuration! I’m certain someone used to make a driver with micro switches on the base for configuration.

Going back to your OP, what specifically are you trying to achieve with your lights that you’re struggling with? Maybe someone here can help you.

Simplicity and frustration. After locking out my TC10 for the 2nd time, trying to get the aux working, I was a bit frustrated and thought there might be an easier way to accomplish things. If things are to complicated to use I rather have a simple UI then Anduril. As someone else said: KISS

I do see how a Bluetooth app could make things easier. Its counterintuitive but it works if the app is good.

So I’m with you there. I’d be down with this. But the app has to be good or it’s pointless. I’m not sure it’s worth the effort. Unless it’s for a lamp there’s not many reasons you’d need to control a flashlight remotely. I would definitely use it for some things but I don’t think adding bluetooth has the same sort of usefulness in a flashlight as it would in something stationary like a light fixture. So idk if the cost/benefit really works out.

What about an app that allowed you to configure Anduril parameters, with an array of USB-C terminated programming cables for different chips. Create programming templates (maybe that are sharable to other users), set each parameter however you want, and just tell your phone what light you’re flashing FW to. This should be enough info for it to build FW with those parameters loaded. Plug the programming cable into your phone, hold the pogo pins to the light, hit the go button, wait until the app says done. Could even give push notifications for when a new version of FW dropped for lights you’re subscribed to.

And best feature: it swears at you if your phone’s flashlight is on when you’re using it :slight_smile:

But this would give you a better UI without adding cost and complexity to the light. Alas I know next to nothing about mobile app/cloud dev lol

So essentially it’s the same but now it swears at you?

I like it. Let’s get this going

1 Thank

I hear “flashlight” and “bluetooth” in the same sentence, and all I can think of is:

1 Thank

Naw, just have the user connect via usb and then ssh into the flashlight, then edit a config file with something simple like ‘ed’. And then Bob would somehow become your uncle.

There’s nothing new under the sun… :wink:

4 Thanks

Indeed. If I could find the original Indium Smart announcement or Four Sevens’ prototype go at a Bluetooth light…

Ah really? So there were others too. I wonder which was first.

To be fair, the Indium Smart was USB-programmable via an application. Couldn’t dig up anything on CPF, but here’s a blog article from 2007.

I do recall 4 Sevens struggling with both Bluetooth support on Android and the realities of getting RF in and out of metal casings. Still can’t find the announcement, but a quick search suggests the Navi Smart NS1 (random link - don’t suggest trying your luck with that vendor) was an actual product, albeit more something along the lines of Tile or Airtag before either got big.