Boost driver for convoy m1 ( may do quad m1, or triple x6 )

[quote=Rufusbduck]

Light perception is a complex issue. The human eye light response isn’t linear so 10% more lumens doesn’t seem 10% brighter(more like 1-2%). A tighter beam might seem brighter even with a lower lumen output. Different tints produce different levels of contrast in different environments. It’s often the case that side by side is the only way to see a difference and even then be different to each observer.
p. It’s true that at present boost drivers are limited in output by size constraints such that the trade offs favor 3V emitters in single 18650 lights. There’s more power available from a single 18650 than from 2 X 18350’s.
An xhp 50 run from DD from 2 X 18350’s would be noticeably brighter but for one quarter or less the run time. If the additional lumens are necessary along with run time then a 2 X 18650 host is necessary.
At that point you should also contemplate a host with enough head mass to more effectively handle twice the heat load, possibly even up to a 2 X 26650 host.
It’s a growth problem, more of this begets more of

Its tough, I like to carry the light on me daily.
2 26650 is like keeping an l6 in my back pocket, that’s just too big, even in a holster.
But 2 18650, that may work with a holster and small enough head

I wonder if I can do the same optic with the m1? Both are single cell lights. Is the x6 a superior host for the triple?

Unfortunately the M1 head size is too small to fit the CUTE 3. There are some Carclo triple and quad optics that would fit in the M1. I think the Carclo quad in M1 is a popular mod. It just wouldn’t throw as well as the CUTE 3.

Oh. I like some throw.
Hmm mm are the threads, and rest if the host as durable as m1? I may have to buy a new host, don’t need to twist my arm.
Or the l4, that’s 2 18650, just unsure how big it is in person

Look for something you can get an extension tube for that has a head size you can manage. I actually have an M1 2 x 18500 tube(not an extension but a single tube)that Bucket made for me (his DIY ano was not quite there but otherwise fine) you’re welcome to it for postage as now I can make my own wood handle long tubes. A pair of 18500’s would more than double your run time over 2 x 18350’s while still being shorter by 30 mm of 2 x 18650’s.

The X6 is indeed a good quality host.

If you are still interested in going the 6V emitter route, a 1x26650 light that fits 2x26350 is also an option. These 26350 cells have about 2000mAh capacity, available from banggood.

The 2x18500 route from Rufusbduck also seems like a great option.

I would really appreciate that! It would be a true custom light. With that tube, i could get imr cells that would have no problem powering an xhp50.

With that tube, I can use the light I’m used to, but I’ll have the output I am looking for. I never would have guessed that someone had made a custom tube, and that someone would offer it like that. Thanks rufusbduck!
Down the road, I may have to try and build that x6 triple. As of now I have only done basic work soldering single led that already were on copper from mtn. A triple sounds a bit more complex. In time though.
This has to be the only place somebody Can ask a question like I did, and get all sorts of electronic formulas, how the eye works, optics, cells, all sorts of info on drivers. How , and why they do or don’t work. . All of this information, and then get offered a custom fit tube to work with what I have.
This is a great group
Thanks guys.

I’m getting on the road for home. As soon as I get there I’ll upload a pic. It’s for the original removable pill M1 and I assume the threads haven’t changed but in the meantime you might ask around if anyone one has both to verify.

Thank you, no huge rush I have fire fighter class little later, I won’t be home until 930-10 moat likely. I’ll make a post asking about the threads.
Thank you

What’s the latest on 18500 cells? Looking at HKJ’s discharge curves, it looks like the efest and shockli and windyfire 18500 cells are the best high discharge cells at around 1000-1200mAh and 50-80 mOhms. The sanyo 18500 cell has ~1600mAh, but has a significantly higher IR so less high current capability and performance in a direct drive setup.

I think I would go with a higher discharge, probably will last just as long, because voltage won’t sag as bad. When using high mode at least.

do I need a spacer for the cute3 optic on x6?
where is my best bet to get one if its needed
I ordered an x6 xpl, I just don’t know what else I need, cute3 optic, and a triple led from mtn. and a 17 mm driver?
is it the same as building a normal single led light? I have done a few m1s.

You do need a spacer. You can get a spacer from BLF user kiriba-ru.

Yes, it is like building a regular light, but there are a couple extra steps in this case. The XP32 triple MCPCB happens to be just a bit too large to fit in the X6 head, so you have to sand or grind it until it fits. You also need to drill a hole through the center of the MCPCB because this is where the wires feed through. These steps are not too difficult, but you need to be careful to not damage the LEDs in the process.

You also need to drill a hole in the shelf of the host. Just big enough for whatever wires you use.

This might be the closest one:
http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=2248

But never seen a 17mm boost driver.

the way they explained it makes sense, there is not enough room for it to work in the light at the size I want. one member offered me a tube that would work so I can have two cells in series, but my host has a different thread pattern.
now I am wanting to do a triple x6, or quad m1. I just hope I don’t lose the throw distance.

it does seem pretty in depth, but I am hoping its something I can figure out. the hardest part will be drilling it correctly, so no sharp edges. soldering 2 wires is easy enough.
thank you

Take a look at the ld-3 driver, works on 2 cells 2x 18350, output from 2-12A. You can buy it on ebay or here on blf!

A triple or quad will throw less than a single in the same light, by a fair amount. The difference is in the wall of light produced by the extra emitters into smaller optics. Using smaller die LEDs will help but see if the XPL X6 does what you want first. A triple of that host would be similar to a single in a tube light like an S2 or A6.

The beam size will be similar because of similar reflector size, but the beam intensity will be greater with the X6 triple because there are 3 reflectors. It won’t quite be 3x the intensity, though, because the emitters in the triple won’t be driven as hard as in the single, typically.