Boruit RJ-02 headlight... 2 thumbs up...

Don’t forget the useful thread search tool at the top of every page.

For example I can find my earlier comments including cross-reference pointers to other threads about these lights:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/39265/search

It was for $6.55 a couple of times recently.

This is the busy season with GB and BG, lots of sales going on. 11.11 had really big sales. I think 12.12 is another big sale day.

And 13.13 after that! :smiley:

you will prolly miss that one too.

Tell me about it…

Got one last week on a gearbest deals thread for 7$ and have to say ,I like it …
Added some DC-fix to the optic and it smoothed out the beam entirely .It really didn’t need it ,but I have a bunch and it can always be removed if needed .I think it helped .
PWM is noticeable but not horrid …and I’m pretty quick to start screaming about low PWM.
it’s big ,It’s clunky, but kinda cool .

It got wrapped up in paracord just for fun and may get modded some day after it’s brothers and sisters start showing up in the mail.

Clap on ……clap off …clap on clap off … the Boruit

Mine arrived a couple weeks ago. I like it but hard to get it to dim in the wave hand mode. But once I get it on a lower output it always goes hack to High when I wave my hand again. That part sucks so it makes the wave part useless. Always on in a lower mode works for me though.

Am I missing something in the UI here?

What I read on the forum and reviews I’m afraid thats how the U.I. works…

Maybe it can be modded to a constant “low” high, but I don’t know how to do that myself.

Mmmmnope, that’s the way mine are, and I got ’em a long time ago.

Would be nice to wave on/off in whatever brightness you set it to, but that ain’t the way the UI does it.

Thanks,
well that just ruins the hands free part don’t it?

Nah, not to me. If I’m using it throttled, I usually just flick it on/off as needed anyway. When I really do want it hands-free, going full-tilt is fine. It’s only a few hunnert lumens anyway.

Yeah but run time would be longer and the hands free part is great if I am up to my elbows in grease. My work would also be in a closer (arms length) environment.
I could live with the high part with an emitter swap to a warmer tint just to ease eye strain of the higher output. But I ain’t got hot air to reflow that odd board.

Will see what I can do with it.

Try changing the TIR to something like a 60°?

Maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother me even full-tilt, that the light’s more spread out over a wider area.

I didn’t like the spotlight in front of me and having to keep aiming my head like an owl just to put the beam where I wanted it, so I swapped TIRs, and now it’s sooooooo nice.

Yeah, still too CW for my taste, but I can live with it for grubbling around in the dark, doing some quick soldering, etc. Still feel like sticking a 219B in it…

I can confirm, having swapped in a warmer emitter and a Carclo elliptical lens, this makes closeup work a lot easier.

Only trick is deciding if you want the elliptical spot oriented up and down or crosswise. I fiddled with that a lot.

Circular. Don’t have to decide which. :smiley:

I just got my RJ-02. Seems alright overall, build quality may not be that good, but for everyday use I think it would be fine. Tint is a bit on the cool side, but definitely not like the very bluish-white tint of the generic XML-T6 flashlight that I have.

My question about “changing the TIR to 60 degree” — where does one get the 60 degree TIR that works on the RJ-02? Can you point me to such an item? Also, how does one change the TIR of the RJ-02 — I mean: what needs to be disassembled? (pardon, I’m no modder…)

Look at this new Boruit:
http://s.aliexpress.com/NVbqU7jm
It is much better than Rj-02.
125 gramm with battery and headband (skilhunt h03 - 120 gramm), 5 modes, hidren strobes, usb charging, PWM 16 kHz, normal xml-like led (fake) on normal 20-mm star. You can use 17-mm tir from skilhunt or 21-mm tir from convoy. Driver - fet. Current 0.05-0.16-0.45-0.95-2.05 A.
Starts on medium. Long click to switch modes, short click to on and off.

:+1:

Try LEDDNA here. You want the 21mm with white holders. Pickup a selection as they are quite cheap. There is a BLF coupon code for LEDDNA too (“BLF” I think).

To replace the TIR, just unscrew the front bezel (IIRC).

-Garry

Yeah, it’s fine for what I use it for. Got a few, thinking them to be disposable, just have more if/when the first breaks, but that first one is still chugging along just fine, well, minus the rubber flap covering the usb charging-port.

Here, go crazy…

These are more a la carte, but if you want multiples, look on Amazon under “20mm collimating lens”.

On the ’02, all you need to do is unscrew the bezel holding in the TIR lens, and it drops right out. Put in the new lens, carefully centering the hole over the LED, then lightly put the bezel back on loosely. When you’re sure everything’s centered, gently snug up the bezel. Done.