BORUIT Z001 meets the Beast Driver. The coat pocket torch I've always wanted.

On general basis I would prefer if it was not in series.

The BTU is too large (and heavy) for wearing in a pocket... Id take a SRK or similar over DRY.

There is a 12 emitter fatty.

But its too large for the jacket pocket IMO. A very interesting mod host though.. Edit: Here is a mod thread

Twelve is two many for me. Three to seven is good. I’ll go nine, but wouldn’t even know how to go about a mod for twelve emitters. I’m still on a learning curve.

I’ve read that thread by Hyprmtr. I’d want to make sure I had a better understanding of those Task drivers before I start messing with them.

No beamshots? :_(

I left it on high to see how it handled the heat. It’s was getting pretty toasty, and just after the two minute mark it shut down. I know the driver has a heat shutoff, but it’s not coming back on. I tested the switch and battery holder, and they’re OK.
I’ll leave it overnight to see if it miraculously starts working, but I doubt it.
If it’s not just a wire that desoldered itself the drivers fried. I’m not in the mood to start ripping and tearing, so it’ll have to wait for a while.

The beam shots should be similar to the one that Old-Lumens built :slight_smile:

Bugger.

No problem. It’s a flashlight. There’s nothing that can’t be fixed.
It would be nice if it’s just a wire that came loose, but if it needs a new driver, it’ll get one. Getting the driver out may be a problem. It may involve some ripping of wires.

I pulled the driver, and it’s DOA. I have another 9xdriver, but it’s three modes. I like being to be able to bring the the current down to 75% without losing any perceptable light, so I’m going to hook up my 7xdriver that has five modes.

I was lucky. I thought I’d have to rip out a bunch of wires to extract the driver. I didn’t think it would come out since it was press fit in…with a hammer.

I’m curious though. My 5xdriver is running 5 LEDs at 4.2A per, and running nicely. I noticed the 9xdriver was real sluggish changing modes. Press to change modes and it would turn off for a second, and then the next mode would light up. I tested the 7xdriver and it seems to react the same way. The 5xdriver changes modes instantly with 5 emitters. All are running from three cells. Could it be that there is less available voltage for the series of 7 emitters and it needs time to process? I have no idea.
The new driver is all connected to the contact board and should be up and running by tomorrow night. I just have to pack the boards with Fujic tonight.

Ohhhh, Ouchy! My J18 9X beast driver light is still fine, BUT - I don't use it much . Also got a J18 with 6 LED's and the 7X driver, and that's still doin well. These beast drivers seem to come with high risk. My first J18 w/beast driver didn't last too long - Daylighter had it and died after bout 15 mins of use. With all the 7X and 9X drivers I've seen, same slow mode changing.

I was really hoping the fujik would help to keep the driver alive, though it's not the ideal heat-sinking setup, and I'm too afraid to really test them for any length of time...

Thanks Tom. I’m glad to hear the slow modes are normal. The 5x driver isn’t slow though and is running 5 XM-L2 superbly. This Boruit is really a nice light and I’m determined to get it running smoothly. The current of the 7x is only a tad under the the current of the 9x with 7 emitters. Quite frankly, when I dropped modes down to 75% (2.0A) I couldn’t see any difference. If I hadn’t tested with a DMM, I’d think it was still on high. This light starts getting pretty toasty after two minutes on high.

I’d like to get another 5 x XML driver and test it with three emitters with two cells. If it could produce 3A per emitter, it might be the solution (expensive) to those triple lights that only take two 18650s.

Oh man. Sounds like a very sweet light.

I can’t wait to see the beamshots!

It is a sweet light… especially after it was modded by the master himself aka Old-Lumens… every time I showed it to non flashaholics at night, there’s always somebody in the crowd that says” What the F*!? was that? or Holy $#!.. dude where did you get that? ” it’s not really meant to be use for continuously for a long time but it’s always a crowd pleaser :wink:
heck… at 50% it has enough light to lit up the road :bigsmile:

The Boruit is back in action.

I installed the five mode 7 x XML KD driver that I had handy, in place of the dead 9 x XML version. With three filly charged Sony US18650VTC 4 I got an initial 2.5A per XM-L2. By the time I cycled through the modes and recorded the readings, I arrived back at high with a reading of 2.37A. Pretty soon it was down to 1.92A.

Yep. With XM-L2, the 7 x driver just can't keep up with seven emitters the way the 9 X driver did, although it hasn't blown up yet. It's still insanely bright even when it gets down to under two amps, but I'll probably install another 9 X driver when it arrives. Remounting the driver is the biggest pain in the butt part of building this light.

Anyway, no rush. When I have a new driver, and feel like rebuilding, it will get done. I like the form factor of this Boruit too much not to have it running at peak intensity. My "show off Light".

As a side bar, in the OP, I mentioned how I like to use Silver Teflon Wire for hooking up emitters. Especially multi emitter lights where space is tight and you have to be aware of clearance so you can fit the reflector down flat and avoid shorting. This wire is very low profile, and not as bulky as silicone wire. very high quality also.

In this photo you can see the difference between the green 24 AWG silver teflon wire and the red and black 24 AWG silicone wire. I've started acquiring this wire in various gauges. It sure comes in handy for those tricky jobs with an unforgiving reflector.

That silicon wire looks ginormous. Besides the gauge, the thickness of the insulation can vary wildly. I bought 24 gauge silicon covered wire that is totally useless for me because the insulation made the overall thickness larger than typical 20 gauge. If you go to a true wire supply house website (only big qty), you can order wire in various gauges, various strand counts, various coatings, and various thickness's of insulation. Unfortunately most resellers don't specify all those details, so it's a mystery what you will get.

I’ve been getting getting good wire from a guy in Iowa. He’s got an eBay store with a really good selection of Teflon wire in all sizes and assorted lengths.
Navships I like the silver teflon wire 19 strands.

Interesting... I think O-L is onto something with wire. He found he could reduce the gauge if the strands were less and thicker, getting the same output/amps. Also the silver coating could make a difference too. Interesting way to go - Teflon silver coated, maybe you got thicker strands - hugh help in reducing resistance and keeping a low profile.

Fantastic!!

That is a mod I will have to try.

Great write up too!! Thanks and congrats on a very killer build!

I think OL mentioned that he did not think the silver plating made a difference, only the strand thickness. See his post #447 in the Oshpark Projects thread.

17 strand is a low strand count compared to regular silicone noodle wire, so definitely thicker.

EDIT: clearly Ouchyfoot said 19, not 17 - still a low strand count, so still thick strands. BTW nice work on all aspects of this light Ouchyfoot!