Brass lined wood battery tubes?

PM sent…

Until the box of goodies arrives, as a further proof of concept, and to gain some practice the first one will be my own edc since it will likely have flaws from unforeseen problems. Also, this one gets turned on the drill press by passing the spinning wood past a fixed hack saw blade so sanding will be required. Here it is mounted on a carriage bolt(tape wrapped to fill the void) along side a test piece of lace wood on an as yet still unfinished DIY light I hope can soon get done.

Here it is after about an hour and a half. Worked pretty well.

That’s quite nice to hear. I may even re-think my EDC standards and requirements.

Also, what wood is this that you’re using on this latest one? That color goes really well with the yellow of the brass.

That DIY light is brilliant! Do you have any more pics of it?

From a 4’ piece of 5/4 oak(no idea what exact species) that’s been in swimbo’s basement since she bought the house. The first 6” cut from it went into handles for some fireplace tools I forged for her 15 years ago. There’s an entire Thread on the little DIY 10440 light and another DIY 10180. The builds stagnated when I became dissatisfied with the looks of the battery tubes and too much brass. Now they can proceed again.

Just finished reading the build thread and I am struggling to find words to express how impressed I am. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

How do I sign up to the MRBDASS club? (Do we put club on the end or is it just MRBDASS?) :bigsmile:

Thanks, I’m anxious to see them both finished.

The next step was to cut the threads from the shorty tube. So here’s how it works. The last bits of knurling need to be sanded off and the wood trimmed even and to length but it works already with a 16650(brass tube also needs reaming). Don’t think I’ll leave it this way but here it is with just some natural oil finish.

Can any of this be done with really thin wood veneer instead?

Edit: This is what I had in mind.

Sure but I don’t like the seam so I do it this way.

The white aluminum oxide came yesterday so I hope to give it a try at some point this week.

Post some photos of it for our appreciation too :wink:

The cabinet while nicely compact is a bit constraining in movement so I’m thinking of replacing the left glove with a block I can mount the wood blank to and turn from the outside. Yes, pics are a must.

Just popped in to complement on your idea and work, :stuck_out_tongue:

I received a nice box today, it had a variety of woods inside including a mystery piece. I have an idea what it is, do you? The box of blasting media came short 1 package of aluminum oxide but I called and left a message and the call was returned a bit later and they’re sending another package. Nice folks, family operation up in Vancouver WA. I hope they do well.

Is the mystery wood Roger?

Was it harvested in the ante meridiem? 0:)

The mystery wood looks a bit like some ipe I have for knife scales.

Well if it was then it wasn’t done by me, morning coffee is only enough to get me cutting Notholithocarpus densiflorus.