Breakdown of Ansmann Futura AA (2 x AA host)

Nice “destructive de-construction” operation :wink:
But now we want to see the next step!
Good luck/job!

Nice breakdown info and pics. Thank you.

Are you thinking of putting a driver against the back of the pill for more diameter or where the plastic contact thing was?

I need to measure the pill, both ends (surprised no one has asked yet :laughing:. I’m hoping they’ll be some “standard” size.

I just looked at the pics again. I guess that plastic contact plate was behind the pill. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this light.

I kind of figured you would give the diameter eventually.

Yes. The black plastic thing was where you’d normally have a driver board board. It (the black plastic thing was actually not EVEN a contact board. It was more a “diameter-adapter” to make the tiny diameter driver fit into the larger diameter battery end of the pill. That brass contact in the center that you see sticking out is actually part of the driver itself.

Some more pics (with measurements)…

This shows the back of the (actual) 14mm emitter board:

A kind of fuzzy pic showing that the full width of the pill is ~20mm:

The driver end of the pill:

The emitter board separated from the 20mm width “surround” PCB, which kind of acts like an insulator:

A Carclo triple optic fits inside the head (note: when the pill is screwed as far forward as possible, the distance is still too large, so a small spacer, maybe 1/4” or less, will be needed between the triple PCB and the front of the pill to push the triple PCB slightly “forward”. Either that, or an O-ring could be used between the back of the lens and the front of the Carclo.):

And, what it will look like when assembled:

Hi,

The tailcap switch on one of my Ansmann’s stopped working… it won’t click.

Here’s a pic of the tailcap:

Does anyone know how to disassemble this? There aren’t any holes in that black plastic ring, so I can’t figure out how to get it out without maybe destroying it?

Thanks,
Jim

Maybe pushing the tailcap forcefully from the button?
Like how they did it on the Sipik SK68?

power911,

That (whacking the boot end) worked, and I got it apart:

And, it does look like the switch itself is bad (duh :)!!). Unfortunately, it looks like a kind of unusual shaped switch. I don’t have a replacement, and I don’t know if/where I can find one.

I’ll email the Ebay vendor for the light, and see if he has any spares :(….

Thanks,
Jim

Does anybody have a picture with the light in one piece?

Well maybe if you pry the switch apart with an xacto knife you can probably see what’s wrong?
I’m suspecting dirty contacts that can be cleaned with alcohol or zippo fluid but if you have a cracked switch then I guess its replacement time XD

It’s this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ansmann-Future-2AA-Plus-Metal-Flashlight-/271623486943?

I probably wan’t clear, but when I said “the button doesn’t click”, after I took the tailcap apart, I found that the button on the switch assembly was kind of free-floating, i.e., it wasn’t staying pushed outward at all, no spring tension on it.

The switch assembly doesn’t appear cracked externally, so something inside the switch broke, I think.

gasp — that’s a solid pill, right? The star doesn’t just sit on a little ledge, it’s got a whole back surface to carry heat away.

And it comes “with a 1 watt Digital White LED”
So much nicer than those old analog-type LEDs :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if you were being sarcastic, but yes, the pill is “solid”, as shown in some of the pics.

Also, post-note, I had written to the Ebay seller about the switch and he already responded that he’ll send a replacement (I’m not sure if the “replacement” is just a switch or tailcap, or a complete new light, but am afraid to ask :laughing:.

Jim

> solid pill
Serious applause, not sarcastic, amazed and impressed to see a solid pill, almost anywhere.
That makes this light worth the trouble of fixing the other problems.

> Digital … analog-type LED
Ok, there I was being snarky

No problem. I ignored that last part anyway, cuz I didn’t understand what you were trying to say :)!!

EDIT: BTW, not only does it have a solid pill, but the pill is quite deep, deep enough to fit one of these buck drivers in there:

Hi,

FYI, the tailcap switch on the 2nd one of these lights that I got just failed in what appears to be exactly the same way as the tailcap switch in the 1st one failed… it fails to click. I’ve messaged the Ebay seller, but wanted to let you all know so you’re aware.

For the record, I messaged the seller and he is sending replacements. One of the nicest sellers I’ve dealt with in awhile :)!

Jim

Edit: P.S. He said he uses this light “every day” and hasn’t encountered this problem before.

Recanting somewhat: Now the seller wants me to send both failed lights back after “talking to his partner” :)???

I told him I will, but one of them (the one I had modded with the triple) will be missing the pill.

It still seems strange that 2 lights would fail the same way. I’m kind of sorry now, because I had ordered 2 more which are on their way here. I guess if the tailcaps of those 2 fail the same way, that pretty well puts the nail in the coffin for these lights for me :(!!