Brightest <$15 thrower I can get on Amazon?

bat house ?

I may try that.

nearest water from here is miles away, no idea why the bat is here I’m in a southwestern desert

Bats are Mother Nature's vacuum cleaner for sucking up flying insects by the tote sack full (southern slang for a whole lot) especially good for taking care of mosquitos. Nearly all bats thrive on an insect diet. A single bat can eat up to 1,200 mosquito-sized insects every hour, and each bat usually eats 6,000 to 8,000 insects each night.

You won't get rabies by him/her swooping at your head.... wear a cap!

Check out this bit of trivia about a bridge in the capital city of Texas here in the USA -

1.5 million bats spend their summers under a Texas bridge.

Buncha plans…

And just call BCI to get direct advice how to lure Mr Bat away from the garage. They’ll be more than helpful.

Bats Are Your Friends.

You usually find where bats hang out by looking up from a pile of bat guano.

Bats become active at dusk and after feeding for a while, they rest for a while, and repeat this cycle of behavior before returning to their roost near dawn. Bats are creatures of habit and use the same resting and roosting spots even after their annual migration or hibernation period.

I'm assuming you cannot screen or secure the openings into your "outdoor garage" to keep the bats out which would be the best solution. If that is the case, the next best humane method for deterring bats located in a specific area is with an electric fan, since bats usually will not rest or roost were there is a breeze, even a gentle breeze from a small electric fan will suffice.

You are lucky to have a bat around, bats eat thousands of mosquitoes each night and many once common bats are now endangered due to the white nose fungus that has killed millions of bats. The reason why they swoop is to get the mosquitoes that are looking to make you their next meal. Building a bat house would be a good idea.

You attract the bugs. Bugs attract the bat. That’s why you are being “bat bombed.
IF it touched you (REALLY big if) the only thing that would happen is maybe hurting yourself freaking out. Try not to do that.
To get rabies the skin has to be broken with a bite from an infected bat. Since it’s an insectivore, has a small mouth and tiny teeth, very unlikely to be infected (infected bats are sick bats, as in not well), tiny +fragile, and more afraid of you than you are of it, that is an extremely unlikely event.
Bat maneuverability is amazing. It simply is not going to even touch you. You may touch it if you swing wildly at it. Again, try not to do that. Be calm, or at least not wild and erratic.

If you can pull together the courage and curiosity, just stand there and watch it work. It’s amazing. I’d love to be in your place. Amazing critters.

What horribly misinformed person told you a “touch“ would mean rabies? That’s an awful lie, continues the misconceptions, and spreads fear about bats.
We really need to be grateful for the benefits they provide.

Many bats here. It’s fun to go out in the yard after dark with a floody flashlight and watch them swoop in and out of the beam. I have them come within inches of my head at high speed without touching me. The locals love them bbq’d.

I never really liked the 502.

I much prefer the 504, but these P60 hosts (as they're called) are not throwers.

With an XP-E2 they were pretty good.

I liked a more “general purpose” beam, so usually stuck with an XM-L/-L2.

yeah i may be able to put up a lot of bat screening later on, but it will be a big job. ultimately that will be the long term solution

electric fan is interesting… i may be able to figure something out with hat, hmmm

standard medical dogma unfortunately is, for zero risk, to treat a bat touch as potential infection and start treatment. this is because once someone begins to show symptoms, they are done for and cannot be saved. its a better safe than sorry approach

>be calm

lol no total panic over here lol

so i did receive the flashlight from amazon, my initial impression is that it’s pretty darn good considering the size and price. excellent throw for size, on/off and no other BS, just works. Decent but not great spill. Nice yellow/white beam, not awful blue.

it’s still daytime here, I’ll try to get a better review in here tonight, i had to start dealing with the murderous bastard first

I was kind of hoping it might throw like the old yellow plastic waterproof 6v incandescent lanters (they eventually were called brinkman maxx or something before they were discontinued after being sround for several decades) but i can tell already this wont be able to do that

i snuck into the garage AND THE BASTARD BAT SWOOPED ME ONCE!! ahhhhhh!!!

i plugged in this thing:

amazon ultrasonic bat thingy

as close as i could get from where it swooped from, then got the heck out of therr

it’s quite loud on max setting, seems to sweep/oscillate from about 12,000 Hz up to higher than i can hear, when its at the lower oscillation range the sound pressure is painful at 2 feet away.

my dog was initially curious about the sound then left the area

i left all the lights on in there, maybe it wont like the light. there’s only a few dim bulbs though, and i couldn’t find it with just that light. i did a few seconds of sweeping with the flashlight after plugging in the ultrasonic repeller but still didnt see it, and panicked and just ran out. on full swoop I’d estimate it’s wingspan is about 12” across… so maybe a mexican brown bat?

if it doesnt go away, my next step is either fan… or snake shot which i really dont want to do, I really really dont want to hurt any animals ever

i dont even wqnt to hurt bugs or spiders, but sometimes it’s a “them or me” situation, especially with spiders :frowning:

sigh

Hey, you don’t want the bat, send him here. I’ll take him.

I will name him George, and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him.

That’s because they read your heat signature…

+1 :smiley:

We used to have bats fly inside our house when we opened our entry door at night before using the breeze from an electric fan to persuade them to rest somewhere else. Fortunately, unlike birds (who keep bashing their bloody heads against the interior walls), bats will find and fly out a window once you open it and remove the window screen.

Our house is in a clearing on a river and surrounded by woods with lots of flying bugs which is an ideal environment for bats. Our entry door is on the inside corner of two outer walls under a corner porch roof with a diagonal ridge. I'm guessing the sonar echolocation navigation system bats use in the dark attracted them to the inside top peak where the triangular porch roofs intersect just above our entry door.

The bats just about completely stopped hanging around under our porch roof after two years of nighttime electric fan use. Now we only run the fan occasionally if a pile of bat guano appears on our door mat.

You may end up having a more serious problem than bats once you start buying flashlights and discover what is available that you do not have yet.

oh, i had my flashlight phase long ago, back before LED lights were even really a thing, and surefire… was that the name, i think so… well they ruled the flashlight world and charged obscene amounts of money, and got it, especially from my tax dollars to various agencies and departments. are they even still around? and that giant d cell thing cops used to beat people wih lol

i remember building my own high powered LED light somewhere around 1999 because such a thing didnt even exist commercially yet

i got sick of paying rediculous amounts of money for what was to be outdated in just a few years, and that phenomenon is even worse now

at some point i realized the light on my phone was good enough 99+% of the time, and eventually i just didnt have any good flashlights any more, and didnt miss them

until suddenly his week i needed one

I’m old. I’m retro into kerosene lanterns now :disguised_face:

i finally had a chance to try the lamp outside in the pitch dark, no moon yet.

holy fsck impressive!

it’s been many years, but I’d say overall its at least as good, and maybe even a better thrower than my old 6v lantern

easily lights up all the trees at 100 yards, with the spot at that distance about 50 feet wide, and good spill all over lighting up everything else pretty well about 200 feet to each side from the main spot. Color is neutral white, with slightest tinge of yellow, no blue at all thank goodness.

construction is impressive too, very sturdy, tailcap screws on smoothly. I think it’s painted, not annodized.

this is the best flashight of my life

as for the bat, i think the ultrasonic repeller actually works, though it’s painfully loud. I also have left the lights on. Combined, no more bat seen… yet anyway.