Bruiser-9000, 9000 lumens, 110+ watts

Is that a street lamp over on the right across the road? If it is, it's completely washed out...

It would help for comparison if you had a control shot with no light on too. Nice camera.

Bruiser-9000 Beamshot, out into a field, perhaps 200 yards:

Just took this shot tonight, out in the country on a big ranch, about 30 miles north of Roseburg, Oregon.

Here is a link to a web page I created for Bruiser-9000

Wayne

That can no longer be considered a flashlight…but more like an invasion by lumens!

The beam from all those TIR’s and massive flood reminds me of a metal halide stadium light. Congratulations on a great build.

The tree line is about 200 yards? Looks like you are getting a lot of spill also. Nice! Do you think it puts out more light than the picture is showing or is it a good idea of what you were seeing. A lot of times the pictures don’t do the light justice. Thanks for posting. Also would the extra 3000 lumens of the Bruiser 12000 be a huge difference?

Vinh just finished up 3 of my lights with Cu and 90 CRI X-L2s, 2 are Neo Legion IIs (one is dedomed)

One of them is the Bruiser with 3 90 CRI XM-L2 put onto Cu

I don’t think the light output is quite as bright as it looks in the picture. It is difficult to get a photograph with the brightness to be the same as the eye sees. The picture is not far off from what I actually saw. There were a number of friends there with me, they were all impressed. I would think that 12000 lumens would appear brighter. This flashlight is obviously impressively bright. Bruiser-12000 would be bigger, longer, etc. As the Bruiser-9000 is as you see it, it is only 12” long overall, which is very short for a flashlight like this, and that is what I was trying to do, make it relatively compact for it’s power level of over 110 watts.

Wayne

Did you get brightness level testing done, before and after?

Wayne

Wayne,
I wish I would have since i’ve been doing some testing lately, but mostly with higher lux lights. I’m mostly concerned with tint here. The light was quite good before, but with Cu SinkPads and 90CRI XML2s it will be better. I will certainly post back my impressions when I receive them. I know the 3xml by itself was very bright and had a good tint.

This is high/low right? How has it been handling heat?

Yes, I accomplish high/low by offsetting the power input post, so when the head is spun it can have two different contacts, one with a power resistor in it.

It is getting hot. Not too hot for the LEDs, though, just a bit warm for the hand. I am increasing the flashlight head size to 5” long, adding in more fins. I think it needs more convection heat sinking. The mass is enough, but needs more surface area, so, more fins, and possibly longer fins. The sinking fins are not just for looks.

Wayne

Sent you a pm Wayne. Thanks!

Are u loosing a lot of output with optics like that? Are there different kinds that can be used? They look different than the ones in the bruiser.

There is always a loss of lumens through any collimator or reflector. These are the exact same optics I use in the Big Bruiser.

I use the tri-optics so I can reduce the overall diameter of the head. I fit 9 LEDS into a 3.5” diameter head. It would be difficult to do this with individual optics or reflectors. The beam pattern is 19 degrees, exactly the same as Big Bruiser, but 3x brighter.

I’ve been trying to find a tri-optics with a narrower beam, but so far no luck. Anyway, the beam is fine for this level of brightness, as you can tell from the beam shots. Not a narrow beam by any means, but does throw well, and, a very useful beam for many purposes.

Wayne

So has anyone pulled the trigger on one of these bad boys yet?

I’ve sold a couple of Bruiser-9000, but I don’t think the customers are BLF members.

Wayne

Here’s a picture of the latest Bruiser-9000 I have built (and sold).

I made the head a bit longer with more mass, for better cooling. High (9000 lumens) low (1000 lumens) power levels, by spinning the head. The ultimate ‘pedal to the metal’ flashaholic power piece. :slight_smile:

Wayne

Have you made/sold any of them with the dual switch?

Yes, of course. Works really well. Low power is about 1000 lumens, high power 9000 lumens

Wayne

At 9000 lumens, this would smoke the FFIV I’m guessing?

Edit: nevermind, reread previous post about this