BTU Shocker - 6 x 18650 carrier and battery tube kit?

It's harder to get two inline carriers connected in parallel.

I'm still curious about the mechanics of connecting the rear section to the front and the front section to the rear. A post through the center is the obvious part, but how you get them to go around each other through the middle divider is the part I can't get a mental picture of.

Each carrier could remain 3S as they are now, then connected through hollow tubes holding them together for 2P. Maybe a double plate would need to remain between the two carriers to isolate them.

Did someone post a pic of a carrier similar to this about 1 or 2 months ago? I think it was from a production light and in the exact same config we are discussing now… if memory serves me correctly. Thats what gave me the idea for the 6-up BTU when I saw it.

I kind of like the 3s3p option myself. You’d just need one of cnqg’s parallel carriers and legs long enough to accommodate 3s cells. You’d also want to wrap a para cord shoulder strap, but wth, as comfy points out, it wouldn’t be outlandishly long

3s3p would make it about the size of an 85W HID, wouldn’t it?

That would make it longer than the TK70. Maybe a S.W.A.T. team could use it as a battering ram and then blind the crooks with strobe mode.

Lol :smiley:

Must be missing something here, but been down this road before, The carrier posts are conductive so that takes care of the neg problem, remove switch from top carrier. Switch feed = down bottom carrier post to switch feed. bottom carrier

As said new post in middle of top carrier carries pos,

contact plate connects existing neg spring (bottom carrier) to what would have been switch out on top carrier

connects existing pos spring with new centre post on top carrier for pos.

connects neg from top carrier to post of bottom carrier

Contact plate will be an interesting design 8)

Apart from probably a beefier switch what am I missing

Couldn’t it just be one carrier able to hold 6 cells?

fp - got to order a Shocker host from RIC soon, so I'd order 1 or 2 more if this battery extension kit is a reality. I know you are just gauging interest now, but do you have a little more of info on the plans?

I see several phases - interest, R&D, design, prototyping, manufacturing. I really can't see how it could manufactured economically in the US for the price we'd like to see it at. An overseas connection for the manufacturing would be a big plus -- clearly lots of pros/cons going overseas, but all depends on the details of course. RIC of course may be a possibility if he has interest.

My interest lies in it's advantages for the "Super Shocker" - maybe slightly more amps, able to hold high amps longer, etc. Heat sinking of course is taken care of with this host. The stock battery carrier has several deficiencies - besides the springs and possibly switch, I've even wired over the longer traces to reduce resistance. I'm thinking replacing the current carrier with one that can handle the 3S2P you are talking about. For me, I see it important to improve the design but leave it fully compatible to current Shockers and the driver electronics, so 12V is a must for that.

Just an extension tube and a spare carrier would be fine with me and all I would require. Which would keep costs well down to just machining the tube.

In fact just the tube would suit me.

I would go for just an extension and spare carrier too, if it works out better/cheaper, either rigged up to connect, or posted how to do it - I can't visualize exactly what would be needed. Always difficult to find high qual springs, and the switch could be debated, but can always do the copper braiding - gotten good at that.

I'm not ruling anything out for sure... Lots of compromises of cost tradeoffs.

Hikelite's battery carrier has extra thick traces. It may be better if we come up with our own carrier that has what we want like extra thick traces instead of depending on someone in China to figure it out. I'm sure they can do just fine with a battery tube though.

The added capacity is an obvious no-brainer for this light, and nearly everyone with a Shocker will probably want one. It moves the CG back and balances much better in the hands with the added weight in the tail. Its also obviously a modder’s dream accessory. I dont think it will cost that much to manufacture and sell.

Im almost positive that someone posted another light with the exact same carrier configuration (3S2P 3+3 stacked) a month or two ago. If anyone can find it, please post a link. The light may have been champagne colored but Im not sure.

There is no R&D yet… its just to let Ric know that if he makes them, we will buy. I created this thread just before emailing Ric about our proposition. Im sure he’ll drop by some time soon and realize the huge sales potential for his store. If this works out, I have another more challenging light concept for his shop, but this is a great start to get things moving. Ric has always been a do’er… not a talker, so this just may happen.

So far we want:

• Extended full length replacement 6 x 18650 battery tube & carrier (not an extension to the existing tube).
  • Direct swap compatibility (6 cell @12.6V)
  • Beryllium copper springs of available. If not, FT sells a version that Relic tested to have an advantage over steel gold plated springs (thank you Relic).
  • Thick traces/wires to carry additional current.
  • Robust switch.

Anything else?

Would it be an extension tube or a single tube that’s double the length of the original ?

I prefer this even though it'd cost more.

Would these work?

http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Connection-Cylinder-Battery-Batteries/dp/B00GYWT5XQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389976884&sr=1-6&keywords=18650+3+battery+holder

http://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Connection-Cylindrical-Battery-Batteries/dp/B00GYWT1U8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389977020&sr=1-2&keywords=Parallel+Connection+Cylinder+Battery+Holder+for+3x18650+Batteries

Bulk for a WHOLE lot cheaper...but you have to order alot at a time

Edit: Nice find. Looking again, these could probably be easily modded to accept higher amps.

I’ve thought about this recently because I wanted a 2 x 26650 SL3. If manufacturers would sell spare standard length body tubes making extended ones would be relatively easy and cheap.

Matching knurling, threads (especially Chinese ones) and anodizing is a nightmare which is why extension tubes are few and far between. And difficult to make by non OEM manufacturers.

However, if you had a spare body any Ma-n-Pa machine shop with a lathe would be able to cut the spare body to the correct length and machine a counterbore in the head end. You then just need a matching counterbore in the tailcap end of the original body and a stainless steel sleeve made up that’s a tight fit to the counterbore and 2 x the length of the counterbore. Put some structural adhesive on the sleeve and push it into the spare body, line up the knurling and push the two bodies together.

Voila, an extended body with the correct threads at each end, matching knurling and anodising, you could even make the final length suit your preferred batteries. Only problem still, is how to get hold of spare bodies.

My X60vn actually has the 3 x 3 stacked carrier. Its series at that, 25.2V out of the carrier.
I can take a shot of it if needed.

Thanks RDR. Thats probably where I saw the carrier. And stop reminding us of your awesome light. You’re going to make us all go broke!