Budget Camping Flashlight

Sofirn and Wurkkos are probably the brands I’d look at, personally wouldnt start with a lantern because I’d want some throw

1 Thank

I had my eye on the wurkkos fc13 but I’m not sure if that can sustain enough lumens. But I don’t know how many lumens I really need, I would rather have more lumens when/if I need them instead of not having enough.

You are not alone. A lot of new people come along having no idea what they’re really looking for and they somehow land on 1000 sustained lumens as a “want” or “need”.
What do you have now? How are you going to carry it? Are you sure you want a flashlight versus a right angle headlight that can be used as a headlight or handheld? Do you have a preference for color temperature? Do you believe that the white"r" it looks the brighter it is and it must be better? Do you believe that you can get by with just one flashlight?
Are you camping in a desert or a forest where you can’t see more than 30 ft because of the trees? Are you color blind?
These are all serious questions.
And there are at least five more questions depending on how you answer the above questions.

This would be my first actual flashlight purchase other than my phone flashlight or a cheap 5 dollar Walmart flashlight. I would like a right angle but I’m not so sure about the weight on my head, I’d prefer to only carry one light and I don’t mind what color temperature the light is. I’m planning on camping in the forest but not very dense forest and I’m not color blind.

I would add Convoy to that list as well.
It’s hard to beat a Sofirn, Wurkkos, or Convoy for bang for your buck. :+1:
Here you can find their official AliExpress stores, which makes it easy to do some shopping:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/flashlight-manufacturers-and-distributors-on-aliexpress-new-layout/217744

1 Thank

This is my lantern of choice.
If you’re quick enough, you might be able to get one on sale…
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/aliexpress-super-deals/218941/6

Do you need it for an hour non-stop though? There’s a big difference between having it when/if you need it and being able to deliver for an hour non-stop. There are plenty of budget lights that can give you 3000+ lumens for an hour, but not continuously. Like, 1 minute on, 1 minute off kinda deal. But less that can maintain it nonstop for an hour. It’s a cooling issue.

I don’t think you want 1000 lumens running for an hour continuously when you’re camping anyways, every flying insect for 100 miles will be on that light.

1 Thank

Ignoring 1000lumen for an hour, you could look at the Skilhunt H04/H04RC, it’s on offer on AliExpress for about $37 from a seller called “Super Outdoor flashlight Store”

I’d probably recommend the reflector version with the 4500K 519A LED.

You can always carry a headlamp in your hand, but it’s more tricky to wear a regular flashlight on your head.

I’m not in favor of having only one light but you have to start somewhere.
The wurkkos HD15 with 4000k is a very good place to start. It is only available on the wurkkos web site and ali. With the two LEDs (both hi cri on the 4000k model) you get a spot for sort of throw and a nice wide flood for everything else. It charges very fast with the right power source. The clip is pretty good for clipping it onto a belt or other clothing to use it hands-free. You get a very low moonlight. You have to take the clip off to put it into the headband. It does have a magnet and a lanyard. After you’ve used it for a while you’ll know whether you want to use it on your head or handheld or belt mount or whatever. So if you’re going to have one, it is hard to beat that one.

As a camper myself, I’d say that 200 sustained lumens is more than enough in a flashlight (lanterns benefit from more, though, because their light goes in all directions). Most tasks can be done quite well with 50 lumens or so. A light that can burst 1,000 lumens for 10-20 seconds is handy at times when you want to see something farther away (like, what made that noise in the woods? :flushed: ) but I hardly ever need sustained output of that brightness. JMO. You might take a look at the Sofirn SC21 if you value compactness and light weight. It can clip onto the bill of a ball cap for hands-free use.

If you need more runtime, the Sofirn SC32 is similar. Or consider one of my favorites, the Emisar D4V2. I have one with a “warm white” tint so the beam will look more like that of an incandescent, but you can choose from many options of LED, body color, etc.

1 Thank

Sustained 1000 lemons for a half-hour will require some serious oomf, batterywise, and some real good heat-shedding. Maybe something like a Q8 or similar donk might do it.

“Waterproof” and “rechargeable” don’t usually ever go in the same sentence. Charging ports are the weak link.

1 Thank

Specifically for this reason after a lot of experiments i consider floody headlamp + handheld thrower to be the best combination for this. Both can be fairly small, because a lot of brightness is not practically needed and weight matters. It is quite nice to be able to illuminate something in the distance without flooding everything with light, and more focused light works great for those times when you wake up at night and do not want to disturb everyone around. 2 lights are also great for redundancy, being in complete darkness is no fun at all.

I also consider dedicated lantern, like suggested LT1S, to be a luxury at best, a waste of space at worst. Any flashlight can be a lantern with nearly weightless diffuser, while a lantern can not be reasonably used as a flashlight.

As for specific suggestions, ignoring “1000lm” completely…
Headlamp - skilhunt h04 is great, either mini (which i prefer) for lower weight or regular one for runtime. With 519A. For outdoors i prefer reflector version, even though TIR has prettier beam.
Thrower - i’ve been using acebeam l17 for a while. It worked well. Eventually i replaced it with fireflylite T1R with included 22430 cell and i like it a lot. Smaller, lighter, does the job. A lot of options here though, so this are more of an examples than specific recommendations.

Are you sure you need 1000 lumens? I mean is this something you have tested? Or is it just an arbitrary number?
I ask because, though I have many lights that can do 1000 lumens (though very few, if any, that can do it for an hour straight) I seldom use those levels. Except maybe to WOW non-flashlight people for a few seconds.

1000 lumens will generate a bunch of heat and eat battery capacity quickly.
As others have said, really 200 to 300 lumens is enough for doing about anything around a camp site. There are lots of lights that will do these levels for even multiple hours. Many of which will give you bursts for 20 to 30 seconds of 1000 lumens and even much more. Most lights that will give you 1000 lumens for an hour or more will be multiple cell, multi-emitter, large lights.
Which gets you into the realm of lights that I don’t consider to be “Budget” lights.
I can’t think of any in that class with magnets. Though in some cases you can add your own. So, for me to start recommending lights, I need to know if you really have a need for 1000 lumens for an hour? If so, I am very curious to know why you need it.

Soon after writing the above, I ran across this:

His testing shows it will hold close to 1500 lumens for around 2 hours. He also really likes the light.
@Mortadude
You didn’t mention much about what you are looking for other than lumens (battery type, beam style, etc,)… maybe this would work for you.

OH, and it looks like there may be enough space in the tail cap to add a magnet under the spring.

With cooling*

Still impressive. I find the non-anduril 21700 wurkoss lights get hotter than I’d like though. But I’ve never tried this particular one to be fair.

Very true. But he has explained that he uses minimal cooling. Obviously more than tail standing the light in a closed room. But maybe not much more than outside with a little bit of breeze or even just hand held.

I agree, Impressive, and might fit what the OP is looking for. If we only knew more about what he is looking for…

Ya, I don’t see it discussed much, but ambient temperature and even a little air movement makes a huge difference.

Like during this past winter when I was walking my dog at night here in canada I’d sometimes bring my sp36 pro, switch it on turbo, and leave it in my jacket pocket for the entire walk on turbo as a hand warmer. And it never got hot. Never got even as warm as I would’ve like a handwarmer to get. Just stayed on turbo the entire time, and it wasnt in a snowbank it was in my pocket.

So who knows. But if any emitter is gonna do that it’ll be a cool white xhp70. They are real efficient.

Two problems here . Thinking that one light is all you need or want . This thinking keeps people from extra batteries or multiple lights .
Reading between the lines here ought to show you that the people you are asking all have many lights . The reason they do isn’t because they are stupid and you could get around the inevitable.
I’ve always held that anyone looking for solutions to the darkness of night need to arm themselves with about 7 basic lights .
#1 a headlamp . The fact it can be used as a lantern , headlamp and a torch make it the most obvious choice . I like a D-10 Boruit or Sofirns D25L version of it

Great 15$ headlamp
#2 a keychain light because it’s almost always with you . Because it’s such a small item it seems like it ought to be an easy choice but I’ve found it to be one of the harder lights to figure out . my suggestion is a small plastic rovyvon clone. Again … about 12 bucks.
#3 a small, 18650 light. Something as small as possible lightweight pocketable , simple nothing any bigger than your basic Convoy S2+ …preferably something smaller $ 20
#4 a thrower… Something to throw a thin beam 500meters. Doesn’t need to be overly complicated a Convoy C8’s with a nice Nichia 519a hi cri emitter $22 .
#5 something chunky like a Q8 . Multiple batteries multiple emitters . Long runtime lots of flood . Add a styrofoam cup and forget about ever needing to buy a “ true lantern . $$$ not cheap and probably the most unnecessary.
#6 An EDC …something very pocketable to play with . Wurkkos TS10 . Andruil , aux lights ,hi cri … what’s not to love . $20
#7 …. A aaa ? A aaa worm or a aaa tool , a c01s. ???

Yeah, that bugs me beyond belief, “What’s THE perfect light I should get?”.

Like, if there even were one, we’d all have it…

Oy! That’s moine! :rofl:

Ironically, headlamps are among my least-used, despite probably needing to use 'em more often, and having a half-dozen that were hanging on various doorknobs for ready access, only to be charged then put… somewhere.

Like just an hour ago, if that, I had to clean out the litterboxes for garbage-collection tomorrow, and could’ve used one. My motion-activated lamps stay on like 10sec, and I gotta wave like an idiot to retrigger them. So I got my… oh, what was that first touch-activated lamp that I think Gearbest had? Zanflare… T1? L1? Whatever.

Love that little bugger, stuck it to the fixture (magnetic), and used that for light. Headlamp would’ve been so much easier.

You make a distinction between that and an AAA light, but I’d keep an AAA twisty (secured with scotchtape so it doesn’t twist/untwist accidentally). Otherwise, my “keychain light” is the light-up key-blank I got.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNWVY4/

Dunno if this is the exact one I got, but it’s close enough.

MH20. Can’t get any more compact than that, with sideswitch and usb charging.

Mmm, can’t really go wrong with C8s. Also the Catapult Mini for small, IF22A for more oomf, and so on.

As long as you got something with more capacity Just In Case, yep. TS10, GTmicro, etc., are all great compact lights, but the 14500 is an anaemic cell, all things considered.

Nice cheap lightweights like the infamous Glaree AAA twisty. the Skilhunt series (incredible value for the price!), and others. I tend towards twisties, because a discrete switch like on the Tools lengthens the light to the point you might as well just go to an AA/14500 light line an SP10.

I think the Sp10 sucks . The tint is abominable and like someone said the other day it’s impossible to find the switch . It’s a light that could have had real potential but had a bad tail that someone felt needed cut out for no reason and … it’s a trashy ugly green ano …
“Always wanted a slate grey skillhunt AAA really nice looking color imho

• search for “best light of the year “poll that chibiM does every year and buy anything that the majority of folks here say is their favorite.
1 Thank