Budget CR123A flashlight recommendation

Hello,

is there any current recommendation for a CR123A flashligh? I mean around $20 or so.

Can the Sofirn SP21 Pro use them? As far as I understand it can use 16340 batteries only but maybe I am wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Patrick

Jetbeam Jet IIMk

Thank you.

Any other options?

Sofirn SP31 V2 will take two CR123As, or one if you get it with the 18350 tube available separately. It’s ~$22-25.

But if you use 18650, the money you’ll save on not having to buy CR123As may allow you to up your budget.

Sofirn HS10, Streamlight protact 1L-1AA or Streamlight Protac 90?

The Sofirn lights won’t run on a single CR123A since they’re 3v batteries. All you’ll end up getting is LVP.

According to the Sofirn website

6. Battery Option: The headlamp runs on one CR123A battery or one 16340 battery, which gives it significantly more power. And you can take CR123A batteries as a backup when 16340 is not available at hand.

I looked it up after I saw your post and it does say it works with a CR123A. So that must mean that there’s no LVP or that it cuts in at a very low voltage? Since the HS10 has on-board charging it will be interesting to see what happens when someone tries to charge a 3v non-rechargeable CR123A in it :open_mouth:

Then again I see that there are some rechargeable 3.7v CR123 being sold so perhaps that’s what Sofirn is referencing?

“I looked it up after I saw your post and it does say it works with a CR123A. So that must mean that there’s no LVP or that it cuts in at a very low voltage?”

My Fenix PD25 (16340/CR123A) features ‘low voltage warning’. The descriptive text says:

Low-voltage Warning Function
When the voltage level drops below the preset level, the PD25 is programmed to downshift to a lower brightness level. When this happens in Low output mode, the flashlight blinks three times every five minutes to remind you to replace the battery. Note: The function only works when the light is powered by 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery. If the voltage of the 16340 battery drops below 3V, this function will be invalid when the light is turned off and then on again.

My guess is that it sets a ‘cell type’ bit/flag in the hardware on power-on to enable it, but that’s just speculation. It does, however, work.

Wurkkos WKC05 can take two CR123As: