Budget knife recommendations, please

On the 681 you trade the additional blade length for the additional finger choil on the 605. But I like 50/50 ratio knives better overall. On the 605/604 two thirds of the overall length is grip/handles. The 605 is only better in one area... and that's one handed opening and closing, but with knives this small that's way too fiddly for my large hands anyways... so I mostly open/close them two handed and in that department the 681 clearly wins. The SRM 718 can still be bought from this German seller,(at least for Europeans), but there seem to be 2 versions - with FFG and hollow grind. (I have both ;-) ) On British blades are several informative threads about this knife.

Didn’t see the 681 on LL but the T01a looks very promising. Bit fat, but the size and weight should be fine, deep carry is good. Haven’t been a big fan of the safety knives, but this one might be the one. And under $8 on Exduct.

Also, if I’m not mistaken the back end of the blade when in the closed position is exposed. I’m not fond of that style. Just something that is easy to overlook if anyone else feels the same way.

I’ve ordered knives like that before not realizing what they look like in the closed position.

I also like the 50/50 look, so I’ll keep it on the radar.

Which knife? I can see every edge of the 604 when closed, too.

Looking at the T01a in the LL video I didn’t see the knife of my dreams, but it didn’t put me off especially, either. $10 and change shipped is a an easy risk . . if I don’t like it I’ll take my Sypderco back from my wife’s ash tray and find someone else who likes that to more than pay for it. :slight_smile:

Plus I’ll have another chance to win in the next Exduct drawing! :party:

Here a video of the 681 and others. I have 3x681 and 2x605 BTW. It should give you a better idea how small these knives really are.

I was referring to the 681. You can see the back edge of the 605 but what I”m referring to is when the back edge is sticking up and not all the way at the back end of the knife.

The SRM 6261 is like that (although I’m not liking that knife). The 763 that many like has the kind of edge that I don’t like.

The TO1a isn’t a thing of beauty but I keep it in my backpack for the serrated edge and I like it for that purpose. The secondary lock for the liner lock is unnecessary but that was easy to take off.

@gcbryan I can dig what you’re saying about the back edge sticking out. That’s why I opted for the ganzo 710 over the 704. They beauty with budget knives is I can get both (which I want to do now, that 704 looks nice). I don’t mind it on the SRM 763 though at all. The design on that is awesome. It’s a bottle opener and the raised part that doubles as bottle cap lever/finger guard also keeps that exposed edge from snagging stiff when close. The 763 is super as an edc blade.

I have a Kershaw Junk Yard Dog II (Not the one with D2 steel) and think it’s a beautiful knife! The flipper is super easy to use and in fact, I don’t use it anymore since a simple flick deploys the blade easily.

The Kershaw packrat is a knife I might be able to live with, but not at $65+. Also wish the clip was deep-ride style. Not sure I’d buy the mini cyclone again for almost half of that.

spyderco persistence,resiliance, or tenacious. all under 40$ im pretty sure you can get them partially serrated. easy question. only hard question is do you want a big knife or a not so big knife haha

Have you checked out the CRKT Ripple Alu yet (plain edge only)? Its IKBS bearing system rocks! :slight_smile:

Kershaw makes a bunch of great knifes for under $30, I think they are hard to beat.

+1 on the spyderco tenacious. I’ve had one for years and haven’t been able to find a replacement. Especially for the price. Except for the new black version. If you want to go even lighter you can go with a byrd knife with FRN handle like this Cara Cara2 combo egde. But I see no use in serrations, they are hard to sharpen right. A sharp plain edge will cut just as well.

So far no one has suggested anything that is 60-80 meters long... Closest I can find is 1 meter. :P

Very interesting! Good reviews, there is a serrated, but pricing on that is like 3X the straight edge I’ll put my hands on this one to see, but it rings a LOT of bells for me. If anybody sees a killer deal on this please post or PM.

Fixed - always one in every crowd! LOL, thanks!

The CaraCara2 I’ve been looking at. Delica just doesn’t have blade heft/feel, otherwise it’s a good choice for me. Also want to heft a Kershaw Echelon.

If the CRKT above feels good as a fairly small knife, it may be my next buy (especially if I find a great deal in blue with serrated). LOL, I’ve got 3 on the way now and just know none will be my perfect EDC.

Serrated sharpening is fine for me, they just don’t need much and I don’t need a lot - prefer less in fact - just enough to cut thick, rough rope more quickly.

Not sure I would classify it as budget, though….

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

+1 on the Kershaw offerings by the way.

I have quite a few of them, and have been pleased with all of them.

THIS is a very inexpensive and light weight one.

Not sure if it is available with a combo blade, though.