Build Thread: Triple XHP50 Monster (done)

I’ve got it to 30 seconds on high, packed with thermal cubes (about 13) driver is as far away from the leds as possible

Think I’m Going to stop now before I fry an expensive driver!

What are thermal cubes? I have an idea of what they are, but I’ve never heard of them before.

http://intl-outdoor.com/thermal-conductive-pad-10x10mm-5pcs-p-411.html

Somehow I completely forgot about expander boards from LD-1 era. For LD-2 this should be much simpler,because just mosfet needs to be on mcpcb,and mcpcb for 1w generic leds is great of the shelf solution.Idea is to put mosfet on mcpcb and mount\glue it to flashlight pill or body. This way allowed dissipation would be much higher,as long as that mcpcb is mounted somewhere in flashlight.Driver wouldn't overheat because source of heat is not on driver pcb anymore. I'll do some tests and see how this works.

Hmmm, maybe mount it outside on struts? Very cool …

Hey, this is illegal!!! :bigsmile:
Very very very nice work man, bravo!! :smiley:

Congratulations on the build, and thank you for showing us how you did it! :smiley:

BTW, do you have a pic of the reflector by itself?

And since you sell some of these parts, how much if we bought the parts you sell from you?

I’ve solved step down issue, the driver gets a lot hotter on fully charged batteries, after a couple of runs on turbo the light will run for <1 min, I think this is a light that is pushing the limits of the driver!

Not on its own, it sits on top of the pill with a bolt going through to hold it to the pill.

I’d have to work it out, the parts needed are the host, XHP’s on noctigon, thick silicone wire, Arctic epoxy, thermal cubes, LD-2 driver with the li-ion parts and probably some stuff I missed off the list :slight_smile:

How did you get the LEDs so well centered?

I didn’t see any centering rings, and when I tried to do it freehand once the results were okay-ish. I used Arctic Silver and anchored the LEDs with a dab of JB Weld. Only about 2 minutes of realistic working time so hard to fit the reflector, take it off, adjust, etc.

I think 5K to 6K lumens out of a light this size is pretty dang good! Too bad the light is only available as a complete light and only from edc-light or cnqualitygoods.com.

There not really centring rings, more of a thin plastic that has a bit of an indent.
I put the emitters on the pill with arctic epoxy (with no wires attached) put the plastic discs on top and then the reflector, moving each led slightly until aligned, bolted the reflector to the pill and left it for a few hours to set, then when I took the reflector off the emitters were set perfectly in line, then I just wired it up and put it back together!

Quite a bit of work but easier then messing about trying to centre them once the wires are attached

Yep
Only available as a complete light, I just stripped everything out, but you will need the PCB (odd size (26mm?)) to piggy back a driver

I was thinking about modding either the TR-J19 (GIANT, heavy club of a light) or the one Racer86 did with that 12x light. Yours is a LOT more portable, though, and something I’d like to try myself.

I wonder, could you have used a BLF17DD or the FET+7135 driver? I’m just thinking out loud, I bet even if you pushed more amps, it would have heated up that much more quickly.

I could have used another driver, but because it’s not as big as the TR-J19 the heat from the emitters would be a problem, the driver is already being pushed hard (effectively 3 XHP50’s is 12 XPG2’s) so that heats up fast

I’ll probably be selling soon anyway! I don’t need a light like this, just wanted to build one to see what it would be like!

I don’t need one either, I just love the, “Ooooooh! Ahhhhhhh!” wow factor. :wink:

Nice mod i am looking forward to do mod like this but with a 2C or 3C MAG

Test with external mosfet - or how to drive high power setups(big leds,triple xpl,xml2,xhp50/70,mtg2...):

Lovely work James! Do the three crosses cancel themselves out in the final beam? I was thinking of doing something like this with an M6. Thank you for acting first :slight_smile:

More than a single emitter in a single reflector yes!

They merge together with the triple reflector

Woohoooo!!!