California rolling blackouts, who here is affected?

Wow looks like you’re totally right… bet they wish they hadn’t shut down a zero emission nuclear plant Green California has the nation's worst power grid | Washington Examiner

Planning to kill the last one soon, Diablo Canyon is on the chopping block now. Green energy is swell and all but you’ve got to have a backup plan don’t you??

In a way, good for them. They keep electing the same greenie looney-toons to power, so what do they expect?

And about banning gas-fired appliances in houses, and phasing out gasoline/diesel cars, I love that quip, “So when the power goes out, not only will you have no AC, but you also won’t be able to drive or cook your food”. And I just said that a while back about putting all their eggs in one electrical basket, too.

Solar doessn’t work at night, and wind-turbines don’t work when there’s no wind. Yet these idiot politicians (Ill-inois most recently) are “committing to 100% renewable energy”. Yeah, good luck with that…

Seriously, those politicians are so retarded, they shouldn’t be allowed to fly but be forced to take the Special Bus back’n’forth to Congress.

What?? And let Reality™ interfere with Political/Environmental Idealism? You gotta be kidding…

Or maybe it’s closing, because it’s making all the “green” nudists, at Pirates Cove, glow?

I think I’ve found some kindred spirits here… the ironic part is that California has some of the highest taxes in the entire country. Now that the rest of us don’t have to pay their share of federal taxes, all the high earners are moving

I’m too lazy tonight to look for a good source but I read a while ago that if the US went zero emissions tomorrow that it would make like a 0.01 degree difference in “global warming” because countries like China are burning coal as fast as they can dig it out of the ground with the belt and road master plan

edit There is no climate fix without China and India | Washington Examiner

Just went for a walk where they’re building all these houses near me. There was a huge area that was all dug up. Kicked my MS18 to 100k lumens and lit the whole area up like the sun came out. Doesn’t get much better than that

LOL a guy around here was just saying that California is the Haiti of the U.S.
Further, it’s the only place where they turn off the power if it’s too windy (might start a fire) or not windy enough (to run the windmills).

Well, don’t forget that it’s also the state that when they also had rolling blackouts, agents were going around ticketing people who hung their laundry outside to dry vs using dryers.

I am happy for the system in which we have. It is not centralized, so it is very hard to attack the american power grid. If a cyber attack forces power offline, because most of the grid is not compatible with the rest of it, it will not affect the US aside from a small area. Flaws like this are a cost.

They must be doing something right
$2.747 trillion
California’s economy is now the 5th-biggest in the world, and has overtaken the United Kingdom. New economic data puts the California economy at $2.747 trillion — bigger than most nations. The ranking puts in fifth in the world, just ahead of the United Kingdom, which is on $2.625 trillion.

Up to recently it also was a donor state, paying into the federal government more than it receives back. It is now revenue neutral.

In San Jose, power was out for 6 hours earlier this week. Bought myself a generator. :-)

That’s interesting, I didn’t know all that. Hopefully they use some of that money to buy fire trucks and stuff next year

One might make the argument that every state should pay more to the fed government than it gets back, since there are federal expenses like the military, paying for the UN and NATO, and foreign aid. Sounds like there are some deadbeat states mooching off the other ones

The problem with “pooled” money is that everyone wants to take more than he gives. It’s certainly so with politicians who get reelected for “bringing home the bacon”.

Think of it like this. You go out to eat with a crowd, and decide to split the check N ways at the end of the meal. So the dumb shmuck who orders salad and water is going to be subsidising the slobs who order steak and lobster with a few drinks to wash it all down.

That’s government. 50 pigs at the trough trying to get the most they can, or at least more than others around them. So there’s that incentive to spend, spend, spend, and no one’s going to be fiscally responsible.

Let each state pay its own way, period, and have each one be assessed “its share” of what the feds spend. More accountability all around, as each state then can piss’n’moan about spending too much on foreign aid (when its own citizens are living in refrigerator boxes), etc.

Then it’d be lots easier to toss the bums out of office for being wasteful of state funds, vs being rewarded (ie, reelected) for spending the most.

And no one said there can’t be an “emergency fund” for states that suffer wildfires, flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. But then those emergency-prone states can be assessed more to pay into said fund (like assigned-risk car insurance in case you’re a lousy driver).

I love it! Let me know when run for Pres (: you were awesome in Breakfast Club btw

I believe the US is a nation not 50 separate feudal states.

LOL
I see what you did there :slight_smile:

but there are those who will differ

Thanks LB for being a donor state.

The Articles of Confederation were never repudiated. Each State is still technically sovereign.

I am in Santa Fe, the air is hazy from smoke of a nearby fire.

I have family living in Oakland, there is ash falling on their cars.

I have a friend burned out of his home in the Santa Cruz mountains.
He got out, but the house and everything in it is gone.

This is whats left of a VW Camper I left with him, less than a year ago

here is the PM2.5 air quality for those three places

Terrible news, though it is good to know the people got out okay.

My relative in Scotts Valley is staying with a friend in south Santa Cruz. They are 1 house from the ocean and have a 109 right now.