Can a cree XHP50 3v be driven by 1xaa?

Ah, sorry. At 3V it’s 2.8A that makes 1000-1200 lumens.

This chart shows in percentage, so if a 5000K 90 CRI is shown as making 1000 lumens at 2.8A this chart shows relative percentages.

1 Thank

I fitted a 3V XHP50.3 into a Convoy S2+ and have been surprised that it doesn’t heat up as quickly as I’d expected. Even at the highest setting (5A). The SST40, that was fitted in it stock, generated a lot more heat.

A lot of the Convoy drivers do not make claimed output. Have you measured the amps or are you just counting on the nomenclature?

Forward Voltage differences may also come into play.

Just spitballing.

I can check it sometime. It was over 5A (around 5.3- 5.4A) with the SST40 and some older posts have mentioned that particular Convoy driver actually exceeds the rated 5A.

Ya, sorry DB, gotta say I have found that to be true. My 519a s2+ is over 5A at 100% with a fresh battery everytime.

5.4a checks out. Touches a little higher sometimes. At the tailcap. It doesn’t last long though, only with a fresh fully charged cell. I’ve also got an M2 with a 5a driver and cslnm1 that I haven’t seen >5a from though. I’m gonna go test a couple different cells right now on it and see what I can get.

It has recently been noted that a 5A ( or 6 or 8) Convoy driver can come in putting out a pretty wide variety of numbers. Buy 10 and see quite a variance.

I haven’t seen this in a lot of these but I have seen it in several.

Alright my highly scientific test results are in.

Two 5a drivers one with an S2+ and 519a, one in an M2 with a cslnm1. And I assume they are the same driver because they were both sold as 5a drivers and they are both red.

With the 3500mah liitokala the s2+ came with, at 4.1V, neither went over 5amps. The s2+ around 4.3a, the cslnm1 in the m2 about 500ma lower at 3.8a. Give or take.
With a molicel p28a at 3.9V, again neither hit 5a, the s2+ around 4.5a the m2 again about 500ma lower at 4a. Give or take.
With a Samsung 20r at 4.2V, the 519a in the s2+ was at 5.3a, the m2 didn’t go over 4.4a. And I put the 20r in the m2 first.

So there you go…something. I estimate the margin of error to be well under 99% probably.

So it’s not like a 5A driver makes 5A.

I did manage to push a 6A driver (making less) to 8.7A, so there’s that. Little bit of creativity with sense resistor stacking.

I’m a bit puzzled why they fit the 5A driver with both the 519A and LH351D. I thought it was a typo, but the 519A I ordered does indeed appear to have the 5A driver. I’ll test it and the modded one with the XHP50.3 3V.

Why’s that?

Are you use a clamp current meter, or a DMM? If using a DMM that would explain some of your lower values (and also the high capacity battery that will sag more at load).

No I broke my clamp meter last week just a DMM. Hence the margin of error disclaimer lol

Wattage (Max) : 9.8 W @ 3.0 A

Absolute Maximum Rating
Pulse Forward Current IFP 2400 mA

Yet Convoy fit them with a 5A driver.

I just checked the S2+ with Convoy 5A driver, XHP50.3 3V fitted and a freshly charged Murata VTC6 - using a clamp meter I got 5.57A.

Well spec is spec, real world is different. Fitted with DTP MCPCB with adquate cooling, they can handle a lot more current than rated. It’s like overclocking. Yes it shortens the lifespan but nobody cares. It doesn’t matter if your LED torch lives 10 or 20 years because by then it’s obsolete anyway. Also 5A is turbo and no flashlight can hold that current for any meaningful length of time. 5A for 60 seconds is fine.

If you go strict according to spec, at 2A max rated current it only generates 600 lumens. Do you want a flashlight with 600 lumens max output, or do you want one with 1200 lumen short bursts just in case.

Cree rates the XHP-50.2 at 5000mA. Just sayin.

It peaks up around 9 or 11, I forget.

Edit: From the data sheet…

Maximum drive current: 6000 mA (3 V), 3000 mA (6 V), 1500 mA (12 V)

And I guess the X6 I ran for 10 minutes at 4A wasn’t a flashlight.

We aren’t supposed to be hooking them up to rewrapped 18650s with no BMS either but we aren’t exactly doing everything by the book here. Pretty safe to say your LED’s warranty has already void.

Warranty? For anything bought off AliExpress- good luck! :wink:

I just don’t see the point in over driving them in an S2+ (which doesn’t have the best heat dissipation)- especially with no warning to the buyer. I don’t want to destroy the 519A so will be setting the 12 mode driver to the max 50% o/p mode.

The 3V XHP50.3 is rated up to 6A so it’s safe - providing the heat protection on the driver works as advertised. I can have it running for a couple of minutes on the highest mode and it doesn’t get too hot.

@inIRL if you want I can hook up a 3V XHP50 to a 1.5V boost driver and see how it goes? I’ll need to pull two flashlights apart to do it, but have got the parts in them to try it out.

Oops! I kinda put an 90.2 in a little tube light. My bad!

:japanese_ogre: