Can a cree XHP50 3v be driven by 1xaa?

Sorry to ask what is probably a very noob question but I do not see this addressed anywhere here or online at large, and I am pretty new to modding/dealing with emitters. Can the new cree XHP50 3Vs be run on a boost driver powered by 1xaa? What kind of efficiency can I expect vs an emitter more commonly used in this configuration i.e. any popular 3v 3.5mm emitter such as the 519a or xpl.

I have plans to put an xhp50 behind a ridiculously tall reflector from kaidomain (20mmx33mm) but I want to be sure the emitter can be properly driven at these levels before committing to the parts purchase. Thanks for the help!

2 Thanks

The 50.2 3V likes a good deal of power. 11 Amps if it can get it. Boosting an AA will be very difficult to get much out of this kind of emitter. It’s a quad core, or essentially 4 XPG2 if memory serves me correctly. Now, you might could boost to 1 XPG2, but don’t expect much from 4 on that tiny amount of power.

Welcome aboard!

2 Thanks

Welcome on BLF !

2 Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses!

1 Thank

What kind of output are you looking for from the small light? Any particular reason you chose the 50.2?

Typically a square ratio on the reflector, 1:1, serves best for the most pleasing beam. This type of parabolic curve lends itself to our LED output patterns. A really tall for its width reflector, especially with a quad die emitter, is likely to be ringy and ugly in it’s beam profile.

You might like it, you might not, building it may teach you what to like and dislike. :wink:

I think a Wurkkos TS10 is from “Wow, bright” to “eats unpractical quick batteries” already to far on the later side. :wink:

I’ve got a couple of them and they’re running 5 to 6 Amps. They make a great flooder, but you can only get the 3V version in cold white 6500k and not with a high CRI. Use a orange peel reflector with them- I’ve tried smooth and it shows up their bad characteristics more.

If it was me, I’d go with a 519A or LH351D. I have got a 1 x AA boost driver running an XPG and that works well.

1 Thank

Intended output is less than 400 lumens. I chose the 50.2 because I thought larger emitters make for larger hotspots with reflectors, especially for the tall one I had in mind.

When you say square ratio, which dimensions do you mean?

I do have 2 519a’s on hand, just considering options on bigger dies.

inIRL, by square I mean as tall as it is wide… like 30mm diameter and 30mm tall.

That’s considering though that a tight hot spot is desirable. Shorter than wide makes for better flood. Or in my experience that’s been the case.

What size hole does the reflector have? That will limit what size LED you can use.

7mm. Not sure what the rules are with links here so the item ID is S029253

On topic links are fine. So it’s got a 7mm hole and is smooth

So an XHP50 will fit with one of these gaskets http://kaidomain.com/search&search=5050%207mm%20gasket

The data sheet for an XHP50.3 (latest version) is here The graph at the bottom of page 22 gives LED current vs % of output for the 3V version up to 6 Amps. Bottom of page 7 gives flux output for given test currents. Top of page 21 gives current vs voltage curves. That will give you some stuff to mull over re the XHP50!

Realistically a AA boosted is probably going to not be suitable for it.

What host are you considering using? Any reason you’re limited to AA?

What’s your intended outcome? Weird big reflector makes me think you’re trying to build a light with “throw” and but LED selection is floody.

Link to test of Eneloop AA

Right, someone check my back of envelope calculations:

For a LED driven at 3V X 6A is 18W; let’s assume perfectly efficient driver, AA is 1.2V, so for 18W, that’s 15A current draw…

That does give you more output than you need though…

At max 400lm, current draw will be more reasonable, maybe need 2A for the LED, so 6W, which is minimum 5A from the AA…

If you want throw in warmer tint or high CRI, you could look at cree XP-P, or dedomed 519a…

IIRC one of the zebralights could manage ~500 lumens from eneloop
It had like 4 parallel coils, I think.
So, it’s doable. Driver will be the challenge. Low CRI, cool-white XHP50 will help efficiency some.

Edit: the SC5 series (Example) could break 500 lumens with eneloop.

I just really like aa lights, I get peace of mind from having many lights that will usable in a scenario where li-ion charging may not be feasible. I chose the xhp50 simply because it’s got a huge die and I wanted a floody beam. What would be the floodiest emitter that works in the 1xaa voltage range? (1.2-1.5v)

LED’s are pretty much all 3V emitters, or more. The XM-L2 is essentially the same size die as the 50.2 with much lower demand.

The Cree datasheets show that at 700mA the 50.2 should make around 1000 lumens, with a forward Voltage in the 2.8V range. So it would produce considerably more light at low current than the XM-L2 (300ish at 700mA 2.7V) Makes sense given that the 50.2 has 4 dies vs the single larger die of the XM-L2.

Heat may be the bigger issue, given the small light you desire.

Give it a go! Have fun with it.

I wasnt aware the newer xmls even came in 3-4k and just read about the efficiency upgrades to the xml2, will definitely be ordering these! I have some older xml lights and while the beam patterns are great out of a reflector they were always very cool white.

I think Skylumen did that, the Spec B.

Are you sure about that?

2.8V X 0.7A = 1.96W

1000lm/1.96w= 510lm/W.

If the datasheet is for a 5.6V led, that’s 255lm/W which seems more reasonable?

1 Thank

It’ll work great. And it will give you more lumens than anything else you’ll be able to drive with a 1AA boost driver afaik