can we clean up the forums??

I just use the search function when looking for something. Works perfectly for me. I’m not one to break something so I can fix it.

Didn’t there used to be even more stickies?

Don’t question Justano. He’s the R guy, not the questions guy.

I never even look at the subforums so to me it matters not what they are.

If I’m just browsing I’ll look through recent posts and if I want something specific I’ll search.

This is free-form here, where almost anything goes, and threads can go wildly off-track.

Think Jazz.

Which is why I like it.

You seem to be super straight, wanting everything lined up into neat boxes and categories and censorship.

By some dominating (malign, maybe not, you decide, presence).

There is another forum for that, it might suit you better.

I don't like the BLF search feature at all :D

These days I rather do the following.. Go to google and type this: site:budgetlightforum.com _empty space_ "search query".

so something like this: site:budgetlightforum.com how to review

And it works even better when you add a nickname that you remember from the thread.

In the past I had been looking for this thread many times: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/20189

But when I use the search feature in BLF I almost never found it, so I changed the title a bit in order to find it better, but still would not be able to find if I forgot what the exact phrase was... If you use the above mentioned Google way, you can much easier find the thread you were looking for! I mean.. MUCH better.

That’s pretty much how I do all searches, including BLF. I hit a hotkey for a new instance of a lightweight browser, then a hotkey for search, then do a search like that. As for the search widget, I have it hidden in my stylesheet to reduce the amount of stuff in the sidebar.

is it possible to list all new topics of the day/week? I don’t see this. Only freshly active ones, but that gives every single 2016 topic as well if it had a reply recently. this message is going to bump the topic to the top of the list, and it’s briefly going to be there even though it’s 5 months old already. Is there any way to stop the forum engine from doing this? (I mean a user setting or a hidden url or something) sorry for the mini-rant.

Probably not. But we do mock someone who revives a dead thread. Enjoy…

Not that I’m aware of. It’s designed to show what’s active, not just what was recently created. However, other places (like Facebook groups, and /r/flashlight on Reddit) focus more on only recently-created threads. This leads to a large number of short threads, while BLF’s method encourages longer and deeper threads. Different social plumbing, different results.

I agree with TK.
I couldn’t count at the times I have searched for something specific in google and find a hit that ask the specific question I had, open up the link to a forum where the question was ask and there was absolutely no reply and it’s a few years old. Usually all questions get answered on BLF and then over time more and more info is added to the thread. Because as the thread gets new reply’s and comes back to the top of the forum, it’s seen by fresh eyes to contribute to the answer or the solution ever time it comes back. So over time a question or a cool mod can gain alot of usable info.

This is called a “digest” email in some forum platforms. I believe that it’s possible with this one, but it would add more complexity and I suspect it wouldn’t be used very much.

Wellp, sometimes even a thread from 2016 or earlier deserves a “reply” if something new comes along that’s worthy of mention.

New light, new LED, new something that wasn’t available before, but now is.

Not all that long ago, you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting a thread that involved dedoming LEDs. Now, everyone and his grandmother is throwing in XHPs into this light or that. Bigger chips vs smaller. “Tastes” change, and topics drift. But if someone wants to dedome that Angry Blue™ LED to get better throw and warm the beam somewhat, old is new again, and replying to a “long dead” thread revives that info and “puts it back into circulation” for those who need/want it.

Yeah, we don’t really have a rule here against necrobumping. Obviously if it makes sense to start a new thread feel free to do so. But personally I don’t enjoy participating in forums where they categorically prohibit necrobumping, it feels like a waste of administrative time and quells the users’ goodwill.

5 months = necro thread. LoL

If it’s intentional, that’s all that matters. Thank you for all the replies. It makes sense; having a “solution” for a years old thread is good.

Too many lost souls moving to the light?

Can we at least have a 20700/21700 forum?

At one point I thought 21700 would replace 18650 but it seems like a new “in-between” form factor for flashlights at least.

This.

Reviving necro threads are very helpful.

They’ve been helpful so many times.

To electroplating, springs, LEDs, etc.

Reviving them allows for people to get interested in the subject again, and help people out.