Can you recommend a budget monocular?

I tried looking to confirm whether the nikon prostaff atb/travelite ex were fully multicoated or not. The nikon website only claims to be multi-coated (but doesn't say it isn't fully multi-coated). A few of the online stores such as bh photo and eagle optics seem to indicate they are fully multi-coated.

This may be a generalisation, but from what I've read, there are different quality roof prisms binoculars. When comparing cheaper roof prisms vs cheaper porro prisms, porro prisms tend to have better image quality. You need to spend a fair bit of money to get good quality roof prisms. In the sub ~$100 range porro prisms will probably give you better image quality. Mind you roof prisms tend to be lighter and more compact.

I've found some of the budget roof prism bushnells to be fairly cheap considering they offer waterpoof features and bak4 glass, but I've stayed away due to 1. concerns with image quality 2. lack of decent eye relief (I generally wear glasses)

I also read that, but I think it was Nutnfancy who mentioned that in general alignment issues are more dominant in "porro designs" over "roofs". This might be the reason why I haven't seen 2 pivot "porros" yet. The affordable ultra compact binos are almost always 2 pivot roof designs. Zeiss has a nice compact 1 pivot solution, but until someone is giving me the correct lottery numbers for next week... that's out of my price range. Or to put it in Don's words.... I want 80-90 % champagne performance for a premium beer price.

Since my main goal is to have something on me at all times, while doing sports outdoors.. I am aiming at "decent quality", while maintaining light weight and portability. What's the use of binos that I don't have on me, when I need them. (often I don't know that beforehand) I already own enough dust collectors in form of flashlights. ;-) The Typhoon and the Trailblazer are both roof designs, but the typhoon looks like it would be more compact when collapsed. An eye relief of 17mm on the Typhoon isn't bad either.

I had a little email conversation with Eric from wolfs.es , which might be interesting to the people who are interested in both Vortex monoculars and can't decide which one to buy:

Hi Eric,
I just wanted to thank you for your thorough reviews. I mentioned your page in
a thread on budgetlightforum.com .
Best regards and keep the reviews coming
Vectrex

Thank you for your detailed reply. So did your initial conclusion on the Vortexes change over time? Do you think the Vortex 8x36 is worth twice the asking price of the 8x25? I paid €47,55 ($61,59) for the Vortex 8x25 with shipping included... I think for this kind of money it is hard to get anything better value/money-wise.... I want to see how much I really use it, before investing more money in some higher class monoculars/binoculars. Actually I wish Vortex would make a 6x25 or even a 6x36 version of this mono, to hold the 8 power really steady I have to use both hands. Especially when bike riding in the mountains. I can see the sight picture "jump" with every heartbeat. Additionally I would love an even wider field of view.
Best regards
Vectrex

[quote=Eric via mail]

The problem is that I already got the 8x36 and going back a step is always hard. The 8x36 is indeed brighter and really clean. By clean I mean that you get the feeling that there is no glass at all. Very accurate colors and the amount of light doesn’t change but seems even brighter than the amount of light seen with the naked eye. The 8x25 has a little color cast. It looks a little bit red or yellow or even both, I can’t tell for sure but it’s there and it gets a little bit darker than viewing with the naked eye.
8x36 can show more detail because of the bigger objective. When looking at traffic signs at great distances, I can read them better and from a greater distance than with the 8x25. Than, there is the exit pupil. Because of the bigger exit pupil it’s just more easy to use it. You never get the feeling that you have to search for the right position where you have to place your eye. And finally the eye-relief. I wear glasses and the 15mm of the 8x25 is just a tiny bit to short. The 18mm of the 8x36 is really suitable for eyeglass wearers.

Maybe, just tiny things all together but they all provide you with a much nicer viewing experience. So, for me… YES! It is worth the extra money but when I passed the two monoculars to my wife and asked for her opinion she hardly couldn’t tell the difference between the two. I hope you have an opportunity to compare them yourself before you decide.

Best regards, Eric

[/quote]

Thanks again, but I already bought and received the 8x25 and so far I am very happy with it. Compactness and weight difference along with the cheap price made me order the "small" version. Do I get your permission to post this email conversation into the aforementioned thread on BLF? Might serve a few people well, who are on the fence which version to buy. The "conclusion" on your website is a lot more "neutral" regarding the comparision between the 2 versions (36 vs 25 mm).
Best regards
Vectrex

[quote=Eric via mail]

Sure, no problem. You can use anything you want!

Best regards, Eric

[/quote]

I guess for your purposes, the vortex typhoon seems like a good choice. It's pretty reasonably price too. If it suits you, go for it!

Actually, I think it is kind of too cheap... that is always suspicious. I don't want to go lower than the quality of the mono I have and the stuff about the diameter of the exit pupil lens got me thinking again. Maybe it's time to hit the nearest optics store and loan a few for a "test drive" first. Picking binos is a lot harder than picking a mono.

I've got one of these Tasco Essentials 10x25 Compact Roof Prism Monocular

They can be had for around $10 shipped from Amazon

I've had mine for over a year, I keep it in the car, it works really well for getting a quick view of something without holding a huge pair of binoculars up to your face. It's suppose to be rain-proof , although I never get mine wet.

For the price, I'll probably get another one to keep in my other vehicle, they are handy to have when you need to check out a hot chick walking at the other end of the park :D (I mean, watching birds, LOL)

Keep in mind though, that monocular is very budget, I'm not sure how much your wanting to spend, but I've got everything from budget all the way up to Nikon quality stuff.

I thought this post would be more budget lol. Although I know a good optic is worth every penny in the small details from the world of hunting scopes.

I bought tasco 2x21 binocs recently. They are cheapos at <$20 but so far so good for my limited needs of a glove box binocular. I use them to see potential mines from a distance before hiking there.

I think i might look into the monocular mentioned above...that would suit my needs very well and be smaller

The difference between flashlights and optics is that the best manufacturing processes cost serious money and the differences can be seen even by beginners in a side-by-side comparison. At least for me the Vortex 8x25 mm (and its bigger brother) is "budget", or good value for the money and if I search for the next competitor with the same attributes I have to spend €50-100 more to even have an alternative on paper. That's at least saving 2-3 times the money you would normally spend. Also optics are something you don't buy every day, really good monoculars/binoculars can serve you well a lifetime... they also rarely get replaced by something fundamentally better, so a investment is not obsolete in 3 or 4 years like with flashlight technology. I think it's like with flashlights and knives.... find your personal sweet spot... the last 5-10% performance to absolute high class are often incredibly expensive. The Vortex I bought is more expensive than every flashlight I own (around 30 pcs by now).... but to me it is absolutely worth it and I wouldn't go lower in quality. It's money well spent.

BTW: For the people not willing to spend the money on the Vortexes and that don't need a long eye relief (for glasses) or waterproofness. The Vanguard DM-6250 6x25 has gotten good amazon reviews and it's rather cheap in the US now with ~$23.

So, I got my binoculars today, and while I'm not sure how informed my opinion can be (as I have no other experience with quality binoculars), I think they are incredible.

They were quite expensive (£108), but they feel solid, just the right weight to allow a steady hold even with the 10x magnification, but not so heavy that you would get tired holding them up even after prolonged viewing.

The optics appear to me to be top class. Probably objectively similar in image quality (colour, crispness/contrast, brightness) to the Vortex, or a little better, mainly in colour reproduction if anything (perhaps due to phase coated prisms), at times with the Vortex you don't feel like there's glass there at all, this is an almost permanent feeling with the Barr and Strouds. But the 10x magnification seems to be where the biggest difference is.

When I say image quality is similar, objectively the contrast etc on what you can distinguish is similar. But the amount of detail/distance that you can see with the Barr and Strouds is so much more, this is simply due to the magnification I think, so I can't tout it as being a much better optical quality. However, the difference in subjective image is a big one.

For example, without optics I would estimate I could easily recognise someones face at around 150-175 metres, with the Vortex this would increase to around 550-750, with the Barr and Strouds I think this would jump to around double the distance or more, about 1400-1500 metres. The field of view doesn't seem greatly compromised either, probably due to the lense size. In addition to this, the very nature of binoculars means you get infinitely better depth perception, which really helps with the subjective reality/tangibility of the image.

To sum it up, while objectively the image quality seems only slightly better on the Barr and Stroud binoculars (primarily in colour reproduction) when compared to the (already really good) Vortex Monocular, where they really excel is in maintaining a similar if not slightly better clarity and brightness to the image and without compromising much at all on field of view, while giving a much higher magnification; which subjectively makes a massive difference to what you can see. In my opinion the binoculars, while being only 10x to the 8x of the binoculars, about double the effective visual range, while also providing a solid platform which are easy to hold steady even at this magnification, along with providing all the traditional benefits of binoculars such as better depth perception, making the whole image seem more real (like a 3D film compared to a 2D one I guess).

However, I do not have experience with other brands of similar prices and specifications, so I can't say that these observations are unique to the particular set that I bought. What I can say is that I am very pleased with what them, and very impressed with their performance.

So are the B&S binos pretty much what you expected? Or are there any surprises positive or negative? Could you post some pics of the vortex next to the B&S, that I can get a better idea of its size? Or should we move to a binoculars thread first?

BTW... I looked for binos with even lower magnification and stumbled over this thread about 6-6.5 power binos.... which led me to the remarkable Pentax Papilio.... now that's something completely different from the rest. I don't know what I would use it for... but I kind of want it now. ;-)

I guess they are what I expected, I was just pleasantly surprised by the massively increased range (I think the fact both eyes are used also helps as more information is available for the brain, if I close one eye and use it like a monocular the distance clarity doesn't seem so good, despite image quality staying objectively the same). I am also very pleased with the quality of the lense caps and case for them.

Here is a link to an album with a comparison picture and a number of pictures taken with my digital camera through the monocular/binoculars:

Obviously when taking a picture through the binoculars I only used one lense, so it can't capture essential differences in image quality between mon- and bi-noculars.

the first picture is a reference with three main houses, this was taken at full zoom with the camera, but with no external optics attached. These houses, or parts of these houses are often the subject of later pictures with the optics, all should be explained in the image notes anyway.

It's also worth noting that with the Vortex I often couldn't get the camera to get a fully clear picture at full zoom, in any pictures where the edge of the image is circular as opposed to filling the whole rectangle that is because the camera is not fully zoomed in. In the clock pictures, the Vortex one looks blurred, in real life the writing on the clock wasn't blurred on either, but the zoom of the clock in both pictures is accurate, so a much more detailed/closer up image with the binoculars on that is accurate. The Vortex was in general much harder to focus with the camera and hold steady and get a good picture through, so some slight blurring/image contrast loss on the Vortex pictures is due to that rather than the optics themselves.

Hmm, interesting .... the B&S binos you got are not as big as I thought they would be. The optical quality seems very good for the price paid. Perhaps I should take a look at their smaller binos (like the 8x32 sierra or their 8x25 Sahara models).

Is this too good to be true? Fully multicoated binos, nitrogen filled, waterproof 8x32 which look very similar to the B&S ones for only $35 shipped in the US?.... too good to be true imho.... Amazon sells those for $84.97...

Wow, they do look like the Barr and Stroud ones and it seems a few of the old Bresser models are now sold under the Barr and Stroud names so it may well be the same thing. Those 8x32 Bresser Condors are £130/$200 in the UK so they seem the real deal. The price does seem too good to be true though, have you looked into Meijer's reputation as a seller?

Also use code RETMENOT15 or BLUESKY for 15% of everything.

Unfortunately shipping is over £20 for me, they only do UPS international.

I also can't seem to select paypal as a payment option.

They seem very harsh on Customs and Import charges too. If I select to pre-pay import duty it adds on £24.15 to a pair of binoculars which are only £18.

What we really need is someone in the US who can buy two pairs and for a small/reasonable fee + postage costs forward us one each via basic USPS postage with each package marked at under $20 value ;) (which isn't asking too much as they come down to $23 after discount codes anyway!)

Although now it has let me know that discount codes can't be used on international orders.. Which means they would stay above the import duty threshold at that price.

So, If I were to buy direct from them I would be charged for: £20 binoculars, £20 shipping, £4 import duty + £10 customs charges. I'm assuming it would be similar charges in Germany?

It still adds up to a decent deal but with their strict no returns or exchanges policy I would rather get the Barr and Stoud versions for £76 within the UK with the 10 year warranty etc.

However, if someone in the US could get them with free domestic shipping and the 15% discount (so for $23 shipped) and then forward them to me for under $15 via USPS with the package marked as under $20 value to avoid any customs or import charges then I would happily make the total up to $45-$50 for their trouble.

I am tempted to write a PM to someone ;-) ... but my gut tells me I should leave this one out... that it is listed at ali isn't exactly reassuring either...

I looked through same Nikon Sporter EX 8x42 yesterday. Pretty nice for the low price that they are sold for (around €100).

Any thoughts about this one

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/nikula-103025mm-quickadjustable-zoom-monocular-protective-pouch-set-silver-p-9963

If Mananfont sent you money, it still isn't worth it.

With optics, they're worth what you paid for them.

In good sunlight you can probably see quite well with it, and the large magnification might compensate for the low resolution of the lenses. But in the shade or when the sky is overcast, not to mention at night, you'll probably see very little if at all.

It's a nice toy, don't expect too much from it.

And you can get it cheaper on eBay.

I tried some zooming monoculars and binoculars and I found they really are a step down from fixed magnification ones. Just look at the field of view angle of 3.6° at 10x and 2.0° at 32x. The 25mm vortex has 6° at 10x and the 36mm has 6.2° 10x.

I was following this thread and just wanted to show the result from that.

I subscribed to an ebay search for the Nikon Prostaffs a week ago and couple of days ago when I woke up around 5 in the morning to prepare to go camping for 4 days I see my first ebay mail concerning that.

It was 70 bucks = shipping for a brandnew 10x25 Prostaff with the "make offer" option. I offered 60 bucks hoping I could have some possible awesome deal that I could update / pay while in the car with some friend's android.

Seller responded within 10 minutes and bang I got it for 60$. Had to add 10$ extra for shipping and CA tax so paid 70$ for the item all included and it arrived yesterday, just as advertised in new condition! That's for half of what they sell at amazon.com!

Best binoculars I ever owned. Had only some Russian military ones before and some sh*tty quality Chinese optics.

These are nice compact binos you bought there... and the price looks like a steal. I think those are sold under the name Nikon 10X25 Travelite EX outside the US. Magnification would be a little high for my taste on such lightweight binos... but maybe you drink less coffee than I do. ;-)