Canada Wild Fire smoke

Just wondering how bad it is where you live?

Really tough here in southern PA all week but yesterday and today you can actually smell it.

1 Thank

Not too bad the last couple days. Pretty bad today. Hazy, smelly and tough on the sinuses. Eastern Massachusetts

I do not want this thread to get out of control so Please don’t go there.

This is just about what you are getting in your area, not any causes.
Thanks

2 Thanks

Interesting time-animated map

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

1 Thank

Woops, I guess I lit my own fire.

Anyways I haven’t noticed anything in western PA, maybe I just haven’t been outside at the worst times.
I did see that the air quality index in the weather app was in the 130s or something this morning, now it is 68.

1 Thank

Just checked weather underground and closest reading is 254, don’t know how often is is updated or if that is current real time but is was really smoky at sundown so could be live. Scary.
One near Wallace area is showing 500!
here is link;

Thanks
Keith

Here in northwestern PA it had been very hazy for the last couple of days. Late Tue. afternoon it seemed to clear up somewhat. We are on day 18 since it has rained and only one day of rain, .65 inch, in the last 34 days. That’s unheard of in this area especially this time of year.

As the day progressed the smell of smoke has worsened and the AQI has gone up.

The photo of the Sun was at 6:11 a.m. this morning. It was a lot more orangish red 15 minutes earlier but it was behind the trees and I couldn’t get a picture of it.

At the moment , The AQI is 179. Code red. I guess I should skip my hike tonight. Just got the mail a few minutes ago and I noticed how much stronger the smell of smoke was.

I am in my Hometown now. Phoenixville,PA. Wellsboro,PA. where I spend more time the AQI is 210.

A chart for those who don’t know ( like me before today) how they calculate AQI

The local meteorologists said we would have some bad air here in NE WA but hasn’t happened yet. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Last 2 days have been yellowish here in NEPA. Smells like a camp fire.

1 Thank

MN here, there have been days where I could smell the smoke, not today though. AQI is at “moderate” now.

It “snowed” ashes in Scranton, Pa. yesterday.

1 Thank

Never been in Scranton, PA but learned about it in the Harry Chapin song–“30,000 Pounds of Bananas”. :grin:

1 Thank

In Maryland, we have a code red/unhealthy air alert for tomorrow. We have a lot of farm animals, and I feel bad for them. Hopefully it’s not awful.

Wow, this wildfire smoke is crazy!
We’re not experiencing it here in Southern California, but when we used to live in Central California (in the San Joaquin Valley), the air quality was frequently very bad in the summer.
Stay safe, everyone! :slightly_smiling_face:

AQI up to 190 now. Rose by 11 in two and a half hours. By tomorrow morning it is supposed to get better.

MLB games in Philadelphia and New York are postponed.

Taken 7:15 Eastern Standard time. In real life it’s much much more red/orange.

I’m not sure why cameras or at least the camera on my phone is not more realistic? White balance?

AQI is 195 now. Most certainly will pass 200 before it starts to regress.

Yeah, AQ hit someplace in the 400s on the 7th.
Worst major city in the world for a day.
Supposed to hand out one million masks.
Try not to breath too hard.
All the Best,
Jeff

1 Thank

About 15 years ago we replaced the original 1984 furnace in our home with a newer one and added air conditioning with a HD 5" thick MERV13 air filter included in the system. MERV is a measurement system that rates the effectiveness of filtration. IIRC, MERV 13 filters down to 1 micron and wildfire smoke is small as 2.5 microns. That filtration level made a noticeable difference. When smoke levels get high I program the unit to run more frequently to simply move air through the filter even if there is no need for cooling or heat.

Not all furnaces and central A/C can use such a filter as it does place more load on the air blower system motor. We changed the furnace and A/C in the home we moved into last year as well. MERV 13 again.

Using a portable HEPA air filtration (purifier) can also help in the room one is using.

EDIT: Our systems included an air handler with heat recovery to provide an exchange of inside air so filtration for that was mandatory as far as I was concerned.

3 Thanks

Yes I saw that on the news. They they had some interviews at the airport because some flights were delayed or canceled.

One of the guys was from california. He said it was the worst he’s ever seen.