Candy colored 501b's

Yeah, I don't see why it would accept a CR123, not sure why you consider them safer though. A cr123 is 16mm diameter and a 18650 is 18mm.

Scaru, its not so much that I consider them safer, I’m just lazy and can’t be bothered with measuring and testing batteries all the time. I get the 123s in bulk and just simplify the whole process. There is a thread somewhere around here that has pictures of everyone’s charging set up. I get dizzy just looking at them.

Diameter aside, if I use one of those plastic sleeves or some other type of shim, would it work?

Link to light that takes both

Yeah, you don't need anything fancy. Just roll up some paper and stick it in there.

If you want a simple set up the I4 is plug and play, I just stick the batteries in and let them charge. It won't charge if they are put in backwards and it always cuts off. I only bother with measuring voltages in multi-celled lights.

And personally if I had to not use a volt meter and just trust that it was ok I would be much more confident with a 18650. The CR123 batteries can come unbalanced and this could easily lead to a reverse charging incident. I know someone on CPF had this happen to them and it was with 2 batteries permanently packed together.

Thanks apt, but, just for my own enlightenment, is the only difference between the light you linked to and the original one Johnnymac linked just the drop in with a greater voltage range? As far as the host is concerned, they are the same, right? I mean, can’t most, if not all 18650 hosts take 2xcr123 while the opposite is not true (i.e. 2xcr123 going to 18650)?

Scaru, I realize that that my way has its own inherent risks, but it provides the illusion of safety. And what more could a cone ask for?

Could you define “permanently packed together”? You mean like shrink wrapped together or something?

Yeah, they came shrink wrapped together. He was just running the flashlight and it dimmed and then exploded.

Ooo 5.0 I’ve got a 5.0, but it’s an old beat up crown vic I bought for $475.

cool

Hey, DX official, you know what would be “cool”? You telling me if the colored lights, with a proper voltage drop in will work with 2X cr123a batteries instead of an 18650?

Yup, that would be “cool”.

Cone, yes they will.

It would be nice if the TS add the golden and the standard black version to the list.
There is also the silver and dark gray version. Did I mention the camouflage type ? :slight_smile:

http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-xm-l-t6-1-mode-700lm-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-1-x-18650-116189?item=15
http://dx.com/p/aluminum-alloy-flashlight-housing-casing-for-ultrafire-wf-501b-grey-154747

Is there any chance DX can get 501A hosts in the same colors as the 501b models in my original post? Even empty hosts would rock!

Plus one on this. You already have the blue one offered this way. Why not the rest?

@ scaru- Thanks, pal.

There is a blue 501A available?

Edit: I searched DX and there aren't any 501A I could find, let alone a colored one. :(

Yup! Brted posted it up in post # 5. You have to actually read these other posts my friend. :nerd_face:

Here the link… again, LOL!

I looked around for the other colors without any luck. As a percentage, with an SF L2P being 100%, where do you think these are?

edit- Sorry, JohnnyMac, that link is to a 501b, not the 501a which is what you inquired about. I guess i should read these things more carefully too.

What’s the difference between the b and the a anyway?

That's a 501A...

Thanks scaru, but I was already editing my prior post. Can you tell me what the difference is between the two?

A B is 18650 and A is CR123.