Cerakote on a flashlight: Dale's Official Review - Test - Contest thread (no more contest entries)

I'm putting OL down as the toughest of anything here. Can someone help me pay the shipping to get him to DBC's on time for the testing?

I would think that a quality Anodizing maybe better than the Ceracote but the Ceracote better than cheap anodizing. I'm going with if we can get him there OL.

Edit. Ceracote will triumph.

Ceracote will be the winner vs SK68 anodizing.

It’ll be Ceracote!

As nice as the Cerakote is, I think he will go with anodizing for OL’s above reasons.

Think about it……$5.00-$10 light? Type III Hard Anodize = NO. Lucky if it’s Type I http://www.alphametal.com/ Cerakote wins!

Cerakote expertly done by n10sivern.

I think tests that are done with abrasion in mind the type II anodizing is probably going to be tougher to mark initially but will wear through to the bare metal easier because it is thinner. Aluminum oxides created in the anodizing process are 65-70Rc and don’t rely on a soft epoxy binder.

I’m guessing anodizing, but it’s going to be a close race.

Who knows, only the tests will tell. As with everything, there are varying grades of Cerakote and anodizing. I’ve seen some poor Cerakote jobs and I’ve seen plenty of cheap anodizing that comes off easily. After dealing with firearms for quite some time, I got into Cerakote because I because frustrated with anodizing. The makeup of the metal affects the anodized color. Not all aluminum is created equal. I’d build an AR-15 and the upper receiver, lower receiver, buffer tube, hand guard, etc would all be different shades of anodizing. Some would be tough, some would scratch if you barely used it. After some use, it would become a mess with the finish worn off some parts and others looking great, and none of the parts matching. Cerakote is one of the tougher firearm finishes, and it applies to the various compositions of aluminum the same color. Each has it’s perks and downfalls. This should be an interesting series of tests.

If Ceracote is so good, why don’t we see more of it? This is a bit of a catch-22 - if anodized comes out on top, who wants a Ceracote job? I do believe Ceracote may have some usefulness in harsh environments, such as near/in the ocean, :wink:

[Edit - Yeah, that’s being facetious, of course - I like]

Cerakote is not more prevalent on cheap $10 flashlights because it’s expensive ($7-10 per ounce) and it is labor intensive. Lower class anodizing is easy and cheap. Class III is more expensive than the other anodizing, which is why you see a lot of stuff advertised as class III but really isn’t. China is the land of 6000mah 18650 batteries, do you really believe all the companies claiming Class III anodizing are being sincere? Not once have you seen me say Cerakote is better than true Class III anodizing. The only advantage it has over real class III is Class III anodizing can only be in a very few color variations. Hell, it may not be better than Class II. I’ve never tested it. That’s the whole point in this thread. I will say take a look at firearms and the number of them now coming from the factory Cerakoted. If it failed miserably then there wouldn’t be as much of a demand for it.

Me. I want a Ceracoted flashlight.

I want a Cerakoted Moose so I can test it with the lights. Be fun to do demolition on a little Moose, right? :wink: lol

I have this sig 1911. The finish looks amazing and still looks new after 1,000+ rounds. There’s just a tad bit of wear where it slides, but that’s going to be the case no matter the finish.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-carry-scorpion.aspx

If the finish on a flashlight will give a similar appearance and hold up as well, then Cerakoted lights are gonna be da bomb!

From what I’ve seen you do so far, I’ve no doubt that you’re going to produce some top-notch stuff. Personally, I can’t wait to get a hold of one.

I have the Sig 1911 Scorpion as well. It’s the only firearm I have I didn’t Cerakote myself.

One of ya could send your Sig and I could try to destroy it along with the lights if you’re curious. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Only joking around, please do not send firearms. :wink: Nearly 16 yrs ago, my ex wife used my guns as a platform to divorce me. Got me charged and stripped me of all my weapons, now I am prohibited from owning guns. Wimmen!

Cheaper not to own them and just shoot somebody else’s! Unfortunately I found that out too late and own a lot, never too many though. The thing about MOST gun owners is we are always willing to share at the shooting range and let others try out our weapons.

I would also like to have my lights Cerakoted. Really dig the FDE and Black maybe with some Titanium highlights? Or something like Jungle Camo,Tiger stripe in Black Titanium and FDE? Damn Dale my heart sank and tears started to well up when I read what happened with your gun’s? :_( It would rip my heart out! Dang Wimmen! J)

Cerakote for the win! (I’m dreaming of a safety orange Small Sun ZY-T08…)

I expect Dale to find Cerakote to be as durable as type 2 ano (less durable than type 3) but ultimately pick carakote in this test because he likes the look and feel of it.

Something like “I wouldn’t use it as a coating on my EDC lights, but it’s a cool option to make a light stand out from the pack.”

Can you Cerakote my billfold so I’ll quit buying lights? My credit card?

Yeah, I had a finely tuned Ruger Vaquero in .45 Long Colt that was ported and had G10 home made grips, one of the most accurate handguns I’d ever had. And a customized 7 shot Titanium .357 from Taurus. They’re either melted down or in some cops collection somewhere. The little Sub Snub .357 SP101 that was ported and supposed to go to my son, gone. Along with the tiny little NAA .22 LR.

Oh well, that was long ago and now when I shoot things I also blow em up. I tell people I specialize in shooting children and blowing them up. Of course, that only applies to photography. :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha

Gotta admit, I do kinda miss Good Guy Bad Guy and double tapping, what a rush. :wink: