Changing over to LED lighting.

I recently decided that I would do my bit to help the environment by changing to LED lighting but I recognise that I will need some help in the form of advice.

I have four wall lights in the living room marked, "220-240V50/60Hz24mA. I have no idea what wattage that is or if I should go for Bright or Warm lights.

wattage is Volts x Amps, so 220-240 x 0.024 is about 5 to 6 Watts.

Are they bright enough for you in that location, that seems really low unless they are already LeD bulbs.

i would have expected 240 mA for a regular 50-60W bulbs

As far as color temperature of the light, that is a personal preference if you want very white-blue (bright) or yellow-orange (warm)

Welcome to BLF!

The specs you report for your bulb are odd for an incandescent or halogen light. If it is already a led bulb you can tell by the low heat it produces compared to old lights which become burning hot.

As for color temperature, you’ll probably want to go for warm.

They were meant to be for background lighting and as such they worked but not knowing what they were i.e. either LED or not I went to Wicks today and told the assistant I knew not if they were LED. He looked at it and replied that neither could he tell from the detail on the bulb. I then asked for some alterative warm LED ones. I got home and took two of the existing ones swopping them with two of the new ones. Switched them on and they all feel slightly warm so the original ones must be LED. The Warm ones looked nicer so I then replaced the remaining old ones and the room looks better.

The chandelier had three bulbs Softone 8W energy saver T 230-24050-60Hz and seemed to take forever to fully light up so I replaced them with the "220-240V50/60Hz24mA which I hat taken from the wall lights and with all of them switched on the room looks fantastic although possible a trifle bright but I’m happy with that room the next one is the study.

The first two lights are Angel poise desk lights with a marked advice of no more than 60W and my question here is what do I replace the existing 60w bulbs with and I would not mind a trifle brighter than the existing 60w.

Personally, I use warm white in the living room and cool white in the kitchen and other areas.

The first two lights are Angel poise desk lights with a marked advice of no more than 60W and my question here is what LEDs do I replace the existing 60w bulbs with and I would not mind a trifle brighter than the existing 60w.

Welcome to the forum.

“Looks nicer” is just as valid reason to upgrade bulbs as energy efficiency. The “chandelier had three bulbs Softone 8W energy saver T 230-24050-60Hz” ones were probably the older CFL types so the LEDs will likely look better and be more efficient (plus, instant light).

Re. replacement bulbs for the Anglepoise, for reference, the old style (tungsten filment) 60w bulb does about 800 lumens… If you’ve a halogen, it’ll be doing about 950 lumens.

Check the fitting (Bayonet cap or Edison screw) and go for something that’s 950-1200lumens. Colour temperature is up to you. I’m actually still on the hunt for a UK based, task lamp bulb with high CRI for a Anglepoise style lamp…

Regarding what led equivalent will replace a 60, 80, 100W… bulb, a decent rule of thumb is to look for a bit more then a 10th of the wattage. Ie 12W to replace a 100W bulb. More or less…

The information on the fixture is for incandescent or halogen bulbs only. It is a warning to avoid overheating the fixture because incandescent and halogen bulbs get hot. As you have discovered, LED bulbs may get warm but you can pick up a bulb that has been on for quite some time and it will never burn your hand. I bought a true 25W LED bulb from Banggood in China with the idea I would use it to replace the overhead bulb in my garage.

It measures 65X145 mm so is quite a bit larger than an ordinary 100
W bulb. It was so bright you never would want to look directly at it. The same area is now well lit with seven 50cm, 36 LED bar lights spread across the garage. You don’t sear your eyeballs if you look at one. When I buy these “corn bulbs” I use cool or natural white. A bulb with 64 5730 LEDs cool white gives 720 lumens and is equivalent to 60W incandescent. I have a few 108 LED bulbs for places where I wanted the equivalent to a 120W incandescent bulb. What a great improvement over the CFL bulbs that my local electric utility got us to use for energy efficiency.

Many thanks.

Brian

Many thanks.

Brian