Cheap UV Flashlight to detect/test sunglasses UV protection

There is purple/blue there but the beam fluoresces stuff very well and charges GITD items nearly instantly. Those are what I use UV for and it does them very well.

Curious about this light; the description says plastic, and all of the SK-68s I've seen have plastic lenses. Based on djozz's testing here:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31542?page=2#comment-719507

...plastic lenses are quite good at blocking true UV emissions. I'm betting that the UV is being blocked by the lens and all you are seeing is the fluorescence from the low-level visible blue light that isn't blocked.

This would be cool if you could get a glass replacement lens for an SK-68 though...

Not all plastic blocks UV-rays. My clear lens Oakley sunglasses (Polycarbonate) blocks all UV. My prescription glasses (don't know what kind of plastic -but not glass) blocks almost none.

Place a modern money bill under the Uv-light. You should see som patterns light up. Place your sunglasses between the UV-light and the bill. If the patterns dissappear, the glasses block UV rays. :-)

Thanks, finally a proper response.

Is that UV? Does not say anything in the description….

It says 365nm. Though that seems to not be the true wavelength. Probably just around 400nm.

For what it is worth, back when a worked in a lab, I took a couple pairs of cheap $12 sunglasses that claimed UV protection and ran a UV absorption spectrum on them in a UV/Vis spectrophotometer. They all met or exceeded their claims.