Cheapest zoomable single mode xml2?

Hi all, I’m looking for a single mode, zoomable flashlight with the xm-l2 LED to replace my current xm-l flashlight with multiple modes.

Any suggestions?

Trouble is, most lights these days aren’t single mode. Because the output of them means having multiple modes is required to allow you to use them close up and for distance. And to regulate heat.

That said, if you want single mode, it can be done quite easily, but you’ll probably be required to solder.

As for zoomies. Well the Zuesray from Dealmetic has been very popular.

http://www.dealmetic.com/

Review here: Review: Zeusray FL05518 Domed & De-Domed

Main thread for the Zeusray: trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts

NOTE: There is new version just out called the EDC120. I’ve not tried one, but hoping to get one to review soon. I have 2 of the regular Zeusrays (as per the review) and they have been nothing short of brilliant. Even more so when you consider the price.

They are multi mode, but so long as you leave it off for a few seconds, they come back on in high. So unless you are turning it on/off with say less than 5-10 sec interval. It will appear to work as a single mode light.

Thanks, that looks great value for money, would you recommended de doming it? And would I still be able to just soak it in solvent like you did in the review?

If you want throw, then yes de-doming an XM-L/2 sized LED is necessary in a zoomy. Or swap in an XP-G2.

If you want it more for flood, then there is less reason to de-dome.

There lots of good threads on here about de-doming, but soaking in petrol (gasoline) is the easiest way. You should really de-solder the led and just soak the star with the led on. But I was being lazy in my review. That said, it doesn’t appear to have caused any harm on my sample.

Although it will be used as a general use flashlight so id like maximum performance for both flood and throw, would dedoming cause a noticeable drop in performance for flood?

It didn’t on my sample. I actually saw in increase in OTF lux in flood and throw.

That’s great, what’s the biggest difference between the regular model and the newer edc model?

> what’s the biggest difference between the regular model and the newer edc model?

about the ZeusRay — it’s being figured out, have a look at the thread about it as the news comes in there:

There are other zoomies, if you want to keep this topic as a general one for suggestions.
How big a light do you want? AAA, 3xAAA, AA cells ok? Or do you expect to use lithium-ion?
How about D-cells, or 26650 cells?

Narrow down what you’re looking for a bit — have you put “zoom” in the search box (upper left corner of the page) and sorted by date?
That will suggest a lot, and you can narrow that search effectively by adding other terms.

Besides using the BLF search here, there’s always 26650 zoom flashlight - Google Search

or searching for “3xD zoom flashlight” turns up stuff like
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MXDL-SA-203-CREE-Q5-Zooming-LED-Flashlight-3xD/708513_500503688.html
(5 modes, but replacing the driver might be possible)

I thought placing this thread in the 18650 section would show I’m after an 18650 flashlight, I have a Cree Q5 which is my smaller flashlight and a Convoy C8 on order for my larger one so I thought an 18650 zoomy would fit fairly nicely in the middle.

I’ll be using Sony VTC4 cells if that helps :slight_smile:

Ah, I’m just seeing it in the “new posts” view — failed to look up at the top of the page to notice you’d posted in the 18650 category.
Ok, that narrows it down to a few dozen possibles (grin)

I often find it’s handy to use Google and then choose ‘Image search’ to find interesting possibilities.

This might be clickable

This one wasn’t terrible: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WF-UltraFire-12W-cree-XM-L-T6-2000Lm-LED-Zoomable-Mini-Flashlight-Torch-18650-US-/121488060892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 now about $4.40 shipped.

prior thread here: Deal alert; 18650 size zoomie $3.50 e-bay

hmmm, ebay added a feature “trending at” that shows around $9 for that sub-$5 light; the popup says

I thought that the zuesray was the one for me until I read the latest, it doesn’t remember the mode, neither does it start on highest so that’s put me off.

What’s the next option?