Choices choices.... advice needed on purchase decisions!

So I am looking to buy a few new lights (shocking right?) but being newish to the community and open to suggestion, I would greatly appreciate the input of anyone willing to share!

To start off, I am looking to fill the [empty] shoes for three positions of my growing collection;

1) a multi-led torch capable of putting out a lot of light reliably such as;
Trustfire TRJ-12, TRJ-16, TRJ-18, and the TR-3T6
Ultrefire WF-1200
Uniquefire WF-500

2) Single emitter- large bezel thrower such as;
Fandyfire HD2010
Small Sun ZY-T620
Jacob A60
Ultrafire C8 XML-U2

and

3) Small AA/14500 or AAA/10440 light such as
Sipik SK68
Olight i3 (is this 10440 compatible like the old iTp A3?)

The lights listed above are what I currently have my sights set on and I would like to get input as to which lights more advantageous than others, which ones to avoid, or even ones that I do not have on my list that you think I should!

nobody?

If I haven’t already said so elsewhere: Welcome to BLF!

The most expensive light thread helped me to think back on my purchase history. No regrets, but for me I started with what is still my most expensive (and probably most impressive to the uninitiated) but I’ve found far more enjoyment and utility with some of the cheaper and smaller budget lights.

I get quite a kick out of seeing people so thoroughly impressed with a Ti or an SK68 when you pull one out (always seems to be unexpectedly even for people I’ve known for years). Simply amazing what a smart, cheap purchase can yield for both utility and WOW factor.

I like seeing what OL and E1320 and Match and others do with their mods.

I’ve enjoyed doing a couple simple mods to few old aluminum lights that were so dim it’s now embarrassing to even think about. Still have a few more to go, too.

I’ve really enjoyed participating in some of the threads and fun contests (whether winning or not - have and will stay out of a few more since I have been lucky once).

Don’t see myself as a collector, but I am impressed you are trying to set up categories - that is good and I encourage you to think more about what you really need/want both for the kinds of categories and what you need/want in each one.

I haven’t bit in this group, so far. Most seem to be too floody for my tastes. Suggest you find the thread about the driver mod for the TRJ (I think it was) series as it seems to transform the low draw oem into a beast.

You don’t have a King in this group? Pretty highly regarded to not be on the list, though I’d want one that has a good medium, high, and turbo.

If this is supposed to include throwers, then these are the wrong lights. I was considering something like these and now think I’ll probably go with a HID but most likely will wait to see what texaspyro finds with the OL shower light he recently bought and if other similar developments are throw worthy.

Big range percentage wise in prices - back to what you want/need. Me, I’d buy the A60 and see whether you want more after that.

A very important and personal preference area. My own preference was a group of 3 regular lights for this one category, plus another for play:

A - keylight (fauxton since it is completely unobtrusive)
B - backup and light edc (was Ti, now T10 - both are very nice)
C - regular edc (E1320 modded 2100 - wanted 18650 power, small size and WIDE range of draw)
D - test edc (currently a couple different SK68 clones)

I also prep a small gear bag that travels with me and it has a few more batteries and lights which add functions generally not in my pockets (strobe, throw, laser).

PS - You should patent “Tacicacool” since Tacticool has been used! You may have to hang around to find out the history on that. :slight_smile:

1) a multi-led torch capable of putting out a lot of light reliably:

I don't own any multi-led lights yet (well, besides those cheap 5mm LED lights) so no input there (although I was looking at the TR-3T6 with the resistor mod to bump the current up). Skyray King might make a good choice as they aren't too expensive and well liked.

2) Single emitter- large bezel thrower:

I'd get both the Jacob A60 (hurry, before it's gone for good!) and an Ultrafire HD2010 (although the FandyFire HD2010 should be the same and fine). Beware that you may wish to have the HD2010 modded to a 3.5A current regulated driver with low voltage protection (possibly an E1320 driver) and do something to protect the emitter contacts from shorting on the reflector.

3) Small AA/14500 or AAA/10440 light:

Go ahead and get an SK68 (or twenty) since they are so cheap and make great gifts. I am currently looking to mod the Trustfire F20 (I bought from T-mart and it shipped from US warehouse and is 5 mode with "mod-able" driver) with an XM-L (mine is U2) as seen in this thread. This may be one of the best choices to utilize both AA and 14500's. It's only a simple emitter swap, so it isn't very hard.

EDIT: Oh, and I forget whether it's Trooplewis or Jacktheclipper who recommends the Balder SE-1 in XM-L and Neutral White as having a fantastic beam and tint.

-Garry

That is really close to what I was about to say. Garry you put it much more better then I would have though!! :bigsmile:

edit - another TEXAN welcome

Welcome to BLF! You’ll love being here! :slight_smile:

1) Skyray King NW
2) Fandyfire STL-V6 (or maybe a Jacob A60)
3) Balder SE-1 NW and DQG III NW

AND a dozen of SK68s (for playing around, loaning and gifting)

For the small light, I’d assume this would be a keychain variety? In which case you might want to use a bit more budget on this entry. You really want a AAA sized one ideally. Maybe a CR123 size.

Yes the O3 will work with a 10440, though I highly recommend getting a protected battery which is available now (look up AW batteries). It gets really hot really fast and isnt endorsed by the manufacturer.

If you absolutely want a keychain rocket, you can go with a CR123 XM-L emitter light and put a rechargable in it (RCR123) which will overdrive it slightly. All of them will work fine. I personally have a 4sevens variety and on high it gets hot quickly but not THAT fast… you can use it for a minute or two…more if you hold the light (to heatsink it with your blood…yeah seriously).

Another interesting option is a guy who is making HIS OWN flashlight series. Its worth a read!
http://www.matchboxinstruments.com/mbi-torpedo—–500-lumen-aaa-flashlight.html

He basically takes a 10250 battery (thats like 2/3rds of an AAA!!!) with IMR (so it can handle the high current), and shoves it into a tiny flashlight with an XM-L U2 emitter!
Comes with its own little charger, but you have to be careful. Only 90mAh of capabilitiy and no protection circuit, though the light itself has an overdischarge protection. Also comes with a standard AAA body to use whatever you want.

For a keychain light I highly recommend the Tank 007 E09 around $14. I EDC it and love it! Use it a whole lot on a simple cheap AAA alkaline and haven't changed the battery yet (have had on my keyring about 10 months now).

-Garry

For each category:

1. Multi-emitter light:

I only have an old TR-1200 5X XR-E light and my latest monster, the UniqueFire S7 in this category. The TR-1200 is too outdated to consider. The S7, on the other had, is VERY bright, but is mildy driven. 7x XM-L emitters make it extremely floody, but I haven't had it long enough or used it enough to recommend it yet. I really like it though...

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/uniquefire-ufs7-cree-xml-u2-7led-5mode-flashlight-black-aluminum-alloy-finish-2318650-p-9990

2. Big-Reflector thrower:

I would say go for the Uniquefire V2 unless you want something smaller; it's a great light, and a very good thrower.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/uniquefire-v2-cree-xml-t6-led-3mode-memory-flashlight-black-218650-p-8649

A C8 is a very good option though if you are willing to sacrifice throwiness for smaller size.

3. Small AA/AAA light:

I'm very partial to my Tank007 E09. Surprisingly bright from a AAA-cell. Twisty-switch, three-mode, no-blinky operation. Very highly recommended.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/tank007-e09-xpe-r2-3mode-led-flashlight-complete-aluminum-box-set-black-aaa-p-9258

It has just been brought to my attention that I am illiterate…. and as such I seem to have misspelled my user name upon registration……

GottaZoom- good recomendation on the SR King I will have to look into that. That section was not intended for throwers, just lights that put out a lot of lumens for good area lighting.

Also, as I am relativley new to the modding scene (meaning I have never done it before…) I will for sure need to look into the mods you have listed, thanks.

Garrybunk - thank you for the recomendations! looks like an A60 and 20 SK68’s are in my future! I’ll look into the Tank007 E09 as well. I have a Microstream that uses 10440s but I am open to other small edc lights that would take those Li-ions.

apt323- thanks for the welcome, what area of Tejas do you hail from?

the - Thank you! Finnland huh? Thats where all the best Rally drivers come from!

joe1512- Not keychain lights per se. Small in size for carrying everyday but I won’t literaly affix them to my keys.

keltex78- That S7 looks cool! Tons of lumens indeed! Will that thing take 26650s? Would it need to be modded to get the most out of it?

Thanks for the help sofar everyone!

Your Welcome! We're here to further enable your addiction assist you.

-Garry

Haha I’m sure my wife will thank you for that!

Not all, but most :wink:

Certainly do appreciate the attraction, but (for me) there seem to be practical limits to the benefits of many lumens in the spill area of an XML so I tend to not like high setting for much more than a wow effect. Which is why I’ve gravitated toward more interest in good beams and a range of throwers with varying levels of useful but not annoying spill.

As I’ve used my T6 (similar to a large C8) with a nice balance of flood and throw I find that high intensity floody lights outside just have a lot of bounce-back or reflection off of leaves in the fill area, which IMO is fairly annoying - and being on the other end of the light is much more annoying.

That might be less of a problem in a more desert-like or some urban uses (haven’t tried my T6 extensively in those settings).

Edit to add post from Garry that may explain this better than all my words above:

Garry’s post

Hi, Tacital Oatmeal…

A hearty welcome from one not far at all from you. It’s a riot here! I love the ones you picked. But lately, I’ve been staying away from multi-emitter lights. They just don’t “do it” for me. Although you ought to investigate the T70 (not TK70)…

I might even make an exception for this baby with its 350 meters of throw!

Again, welcome!

Rusty Joe -

Thank you! That T70 is awesome but a tad over my budget.

GottaZoom -

I like the T6 I might have to add that to my list.

The TR-3T6 is IMO the most practical flooder. It can even use 4 AA’s! (even in high mode, 4amps with eneloops). The king is better quality for more $, and it’s available in NW.

For throwers, I really like the small sun t13 for the price. The 2010 is a direct drive light so kind of risky with a 26500 (can overdrive the emitter), which is what it’s intended to be used with.

If you get 4 18650’s, you have backup cells with the 3t6/t13 pair.

For small lights, I have most of them and thrunite ti is the best. Twist some for low, twist more for high. Excellent.

I don’t know what you ended up getting, but the TRJ18 is a power hungry power house. I just came back inside after lighting up the clouds through the rain. It’s amazing, ever seen anything like it.