chopped c mag: 26650 XML2 custom 3.5a driver

They won’t break the bank and have all the power you need for that build. Runs my HD2010 quite well anyway.

Good luck!

i may have to look in to that. thanks

the reflector i ordered was out of stock, luckily since it was going to be too short. so they let me change my order to replace the out of stock items.
(BTW DX, TAKE OUT OF STOCK ITEMS OFF LINE. PERIOD. i dont want to look through a bunch of items i cant buy to try to find one that will work that i can buy, to find out its also not in stock)

http://dx.com/p/sst-50-smooth-aluminum-reflector-5-1cm-diameter-47997
thats the reflector i changed it to. i may need to do some file work on it also, but its height is something i can work with hopefully
i wanted an OP reflector, but right now it is what it is

Or does it take a different reflector? Cause I have several D Mag reflectors, and a couple of smaller aluminum ones I got from Cutter that are just a little small for the D mag. Will either of those help? The one’s from cutter have that zig-zag lineage to em, odd looking but they make a nice beam.

Got measurements or a link to the cutter ones? Yeah, the c and d reflectors are the same, but I’ve really got my mind set on an aluminium reflector :wink:

Edit: think I found it - 45x23.3mm? That would look pretty bad@$$ in the head of this.

It’s just a little smaller diameter than the stock reflector at the top, and quite a bit shorter. Those zig-zag lines radiating outward to break up artifacts are pretty cool. They also work. I didn’t end up actually mounting one as the hole for the emitter is smaller than the XM-L and will need to be opened up a little, shouldn’t be a problem as it sits on a flat before the reflector sides start their upsweep.

Yes, a "D" sized Mag LED reflector does indeed fit into a C sized Maglite (at least the newest available C size Maglite that I bought a year ago). I did an XP-G 3C Mag build using the Mag LED reflectors from zbattery.com.

-Garry

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1112 , I’ll check it out today and double check the beam on it. See how it works with an XP-G2 I’ve got mounted on a copper SinkPAD.

anyone besides DBCstm have a battery suggestion? im ready to buy some tonight, and not totally sure. im more concerned with voltage sag than mah…
i would prefer an unprotected cell…

thanks in advance for any help guys

He’s been doing some testing, will know what cell will give you the most bang for the buck. :wink:

ok, i got that reflector filed down to fit. might end up doing some tweaking later, but im pretty happy for now.

did some runs on the lux meter. now my lux meter reads my ea4w consistently at 17300-17400 cd.
i took my readings on the x10 setting

2m = 980 = 39200@1m
3m = 422 = 37980@1m

think xml in a c8 beam profile. almost the same size hot spot and spill size.
with my trusty new sanyo 1500s, im reading just over 3a at the tail now also. need some 26650s :expressionless:

edit: updated first post with some more build details
edit: took some readings off my uniquefire c108 (c8 sized, 2.8a nanj, ar lens) for comparison
2m = 561 = 22440@1m
3m = 271 = 24390@1m

Have you modded the tailspring with copper desolder braid? Could net you some valuable mV :wink:

Not yet. Ordered some trustfire flames 26650s unprotected cells yesterday, hoping they will keep voltage under load better than my 18650s

got my 26650s, charged one up and popped it in. still just 3.05a. according to matches vf graph, i should have plenty of juice to hold at 3.5v. its not the tail cap because im testing with the tail cap off. its either got to be resistance in the switch or the driver.
its still an amazing light, and is just what i wanted, a shorty blue(ish) 1x26650 mag 8)

I did find that my xm-l2 draws significantly less current on the same 4a driver to an xm-l, and that was using a king kong at 4.2v.

I think they are just happy with less current tbh, mine is on an alu star rather than a sink pad but we’re talking 3.3a for xm-l2 vs 3.7a for xm-l u3.

its a real nice build, your very justified in being happy with it.

one of these days I’m going to have to do a mag build, I feel left out :frowning:

was the price worth it? i dunno lol :money_mouth_face:
but i sure am happy with it now that i got a proper reflector in it. good hot spot with plenty of spill. def plenty bright. love the color of it. perfect for checking my 2 acres for critters.
cant wait to see what youd do with a mag mod

yeah, thats the problem……

I want to get my dad to machine a couple of heat sinks, since he has an older mag and I have an old mag, both 3d, I was going to do a primary build and a li ion build, now, I’m building him a nice 55mm single 18650 xm-l light and edc as a set for his birthday.

If he’s got li - ion already, I might do a couple of wilder builds.

One thought I did have was I’d seen an mtg-2 reflector on cutter, its huge, but I could maybe get an aluminium billet and have my dad machine a new head/heat sink assembly, it may turn out to be a thrower, it may be a huge flooder, it’ll certainly be interesting :bigsmile:

The resistance you’re running into is most likely in the positive contact spring on the bottom of the switch, it’s deceptively long and removing it in favor of a shorter spring or a copper rod will gain you considerable power.

if it dont sell before i leave in a few hours, I will probably take it apart and do resistance mods. add copper braid to the tail spring, copper braid to the switch, and some shorter thicker wire from the switch to pill.

but to be honest, I am satisfied with the current output

Blast from the past.

Tracked down the light, and just got it back today! Pretty excited. Need a new heatsink and lens.

Pretty sure I am going with MTG2 with an OP reflector in it this go around. Possibly SST40, but leaning towards MTG2

so let’s see………….

5 years ago you modded a Vintage flashlight, now 5 years later you are going to upgrade your own mod.
Boy, you must be an old timer. :smiley: