Close call - battery meltdown out of the clear blue

That’s why I also included……

It’s not a military hand grenade :stuck_out_tongue:
I do a lot of welding, brazing and auto refinishing so I’ll be alright with this little battery I’m sure :innocent:

Correct. Lithium ion cells don’t come with a safety pin, hehe. :wink:

lol

I’m sure you’ve seen this before… I suddenly had to think about this one again… It’s a classic.

Haha!
That’s hilarious :smiley:

To quote our esteemed host:

Famous last words

Scary. Glad nothing terrible happened. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Zebrettaaaaa…… where are you :question:
You didn’t use a torch to open it did you?? … :cry:
:slight_smile:

Zebrette……… I hope the “autopsy” did not go wrong and you went……………

That would be sad indeed. … :cry:

Seriously, looking forward to your findings when you have time to post them…… :+1:
:slight_smile:

Just saw this and glad for the safe outcome Zebretta. My stash is small and only good cells, but it’s totally unsafe should something go wrong like this. I’ll now be addressing that sooner instead of later :wink:

Phil

SoCalTiger, I’m concerned about this. Is it at ALL possible for this to occur with such a small battery as that UltraFire 18650?
It was right on my desk in front of me when it went nuclear but as mentioned, there was no smoke or flames. Does anyone know if it’s at all likely that that battery could have vented hydrofluoric acid (HFA) gasses?

However, I don’t “think” I have to worry about that because according to post number 26 of this thread at candlepowerforums.com there actually has to be FLAMES for the HFA to be created. There were never any flames with this battery. Just high heat to the point I could not touch it.
HFA!

Calcium Gluconate Gel or Saline solution are the antidotes for HFA poisoning…and it’s said that you should have some on-hand if you work with potential sources of HFA…but WHERE can you get it? Don’t call Walgreens looking for it if you need it immediately. Their process to reach a pharmacists includes an automated reading of the entire “helpful” Global Pharmacy Ettiquette manifesto first.

Truth be told, I haven’t been doing so well the last few days but I’m attributing it to lack of sleep and possibly fighting the flu?
No chest pains or violent coughing. Just feeling awful. Like you do when you are coming down with flue (which has in fact been going around lately).
About to go read up on it now. But again, EVERYONE has these batteries around. If it was that dangerous would they be allowed?

I don’t specifically remembering “sniffing” the battery…but I might have instinctively.

If you had been smoking at the time, so you would have been inhaling the vented gas through a flame, the combustion products could include HF.

Same hazard as from burning chlorofluorocarbons. Any synthetic fluorine compound, basically, burned in air will emit hydrogen fluoride. You could have been running an open flame heater, or burning incense, and the vented gas could have passed through those flames. You could have been using a carbon arc lamp (grin) … endless scenarios are possible, but unlikely.

Hm, I wonder if any of the chemicals put in li-ion cells are CFCs?
Anyone seen a list of the chemicals that might be used?

Of course, with these fake batteries, they could be pouring anything into them.
Need to get rid of your toxic waste? Package it in, or as, something and ship it out ….

Anyhow:

Thanks Hank. Wasn’t smoking and no flames….so I’m thinking I’m probably just fighting that nasty flu going around and it has nothing at all to do with battery mishap or Hydroflouric Acid. Just coincidence that I had a LiIo battery meltdown a few days ago.

whew!

Here are a bunch of places to get Calcium Gluconate Gel

And some more for Saline Solution

But I think they are mainly used to neutralize external contact so you don’t end up looking like this………. :wink:

And as far as what you said here… “EVERYONE has these batteries around. If it was that dangerous would they be allowed?”
Sure they would be…… things that “can be” dangerous are allowed all the time.

You probably do just have the flu or the ‘crud’. But, if you have any doubts at all; it might not hurt to get checked out. Reading other peoples opinions on the internet is not always the best way to diagnosis a potential problem.
Think about it……… :wink:

Hope you get to feeling better soon…………. :+1:
~
Now, shifting gears a bit. Did you have time or feel like taking that battery apart yet?
It would really be good to actually know what was in it. :slight_smile:

And like I said, if you don’t feel like doing it; if you’ll mail it to me I will. I’ll even pay postage……… :wink:

Yeah hopefully it is just a cold/flu and unrelated. Just pay careful attention to any symptoms you are having. A cold/flu would have a temperature associated with it and HFA exposure probably would not, so take your temp.

Also, regarding the calcium question, some people with fluoride exposure will take OTC calcium and magnesium supplements. Both bind with flouride IIRC and help combat systemic exposure. Aside from that, most people are magnesium deficient anyway so normal dosages of mag won’t hurt.

And yes, an 18650 is big enough to produce a toxic amount of HFA especially in an enclosed space. HFA exposure can have delayed onset symptoms (days or weeks later).

Want a dead-as-a-stump 26650? :smiley:

No physical damage, just “protected” to death.

Can probably still find it. No idea why I even kept it…

Only if it did something weird like Zebretta’s did. Then I’d be glad to take it to see what is actually in it. :slight_smile:

I have a feeling his may in deed be interesting. … mini cell & sand, rocks, dirt,…… who knows? :wink:

Well I'm surprised to learn just how much toxic mess these can release. It's not some trace amounts. The first paper I found also measured it in fire and my reaction was the same as Zebretta. Then I found this:

http://www.mdpi.com/2313-0105/2/1/5/pdf

And not to scare you but in the conclusions they say:

"If the ignition of the cell is prevented, which can be done most effectively by a textile composite, the gas emission is far more dangerous."

Hmm..