Close call - battery meltdown out of the clear blue

Reading this thread reminded me that I have two protected Trustfire 18650 2400 mAh cells sitting in storage somewhere. Been there for years, bought in 2011. Hoping they don’t go nuts one day and set all my stuff on fire. Could a cell still act up after many years of non use?

What I take from this thread is that a poor quality cell is dangerous even not in use/charging and go cause problems so I think “better safe then sorry” and going to discard of all no name / bad name cells ASAP, it is just not worth it

if you were nearby i would take that fridge off your hands.its a 1948-49 model.
iirc thats the next generation after the “monitor top” which i own.
my mom still uses a monitor top ge as a spare.

It’s no wonder airlines are now banning the shipment of these 18650s. I would hate to be onboard when a cell(s) decided to let go.

Yes it does, perfectly!
For the first year or 2 I used it to cool soda and beer, but turned it off as it ran too much.
How elegant it would be to store my Li-ion’s in it as I could keep them chilled to prolong their life :slight_smile:
Now that would be living large :wink:

You sure do know your stuff, I just looked it up and it seems to be a 1949 model.
We didn’t replace the stove, it’s a 1955 40” GE. Cleaned up it looks almost new. My wife loves it, and shows it off to guests.

I have tried to keep our house all original. Any fixture I have to replace I box up and put in the attic.

Some may ask, how does this stove relate to BLF?

I use that right front burner to reflow my LED’s :smiley:

What does it say about some of us, as forum members, when we see an ancient refrigerator and instantly relate… even to the point of making offers on it? I saw that and immediately thought how nice it’s condition is and how it reminded me of the old fridge we used at my dad’s lumber yard when I was growing up… :slight_smile:

The problem is that the companies putting these cells on the market aren’t being shut down or that companies building hover boards without adequate bms are allowed to ship. These give the entire industry the black eye that ends up affecting us with ever more restrictive shipping regs. Edit- Regs poorly targeted.

Only if you’re trying to give yourself/your family lithium poisoning. Lithium is toxic too. In fact, my aunt was overdosed on lithium because it is used as a treatment for bipolar disorder. I wouldn’t simply put it in the earth anywhere near me.

I wish we could find out what’s inside the case of that cell.

Research requiring outdoor workspace, gloves, respirator, eye protection, hacksaw, video ….

Actually, someone on CPF did this several years back (like 5+ years ago). They went through and they intentionally abused a range of different cells like intentional overcharging and subjecting them to intense heat. One of the key takeaways was that the cheaper cells like Ultrafire went into thermal runaway with less abuse than the more expensive cells. In otherwords, they are “less stable”. In some conditions, the cheaper cells went into run away something like 80% of the time whereas the better cells only about 20% of the time. I believe that the person also filmed some of this stuff and put it on YouTube so you can see what happens when the cells go into runaway.

Thanks. I was after this information.

Thank SoCalTiger…… :+1: I’ll try to find that.
I wish The Miller would try it too and report directly back to us first hand. It would most likely be less dangerous in the long run than the fertilizer ideal. :wink:

I agree, I would love to know that also.

Zebretta, seriously; why don’t you do an autopsy of this cell of yours and report back what is really inside of it??? :+1:

Wonder what is really inside……….

But you might want to nix the hacksaw idea and use a pipe cutter… picture below. I think you would get a much more harmonious and cleaner outcome. :+1:
Pipe Cutters

Below is a link to where HKJ took one apart. It might give you some pointers, if you need them that is. :slight_smile:
Disassembly of some UltraFire batteries / HKJ
http://lygte-info.dk/info/batteryDisassemblyUltraFire%20UK.html

…grenade sump.

Oh I totally agree. My problem is I don’t know where exactly in storage they are. There are hundreds of boxes of junk in there and I have no clue which one these cells sit in. Will have to wait until we empty out the storage units and unpack everything.

Expect the cells to be completely dead. The protection circuit is a small but definite parasitic drain, that’ll drain a topped-off cell in months with no use, and if left for years, will drain it down well below what the protection circuitry will allow to be revived, even with all the “tricks” (jolting it, etc.).

I got a few old protected cells that were bricked that way. Otherwise perfect cells when I got ’em, but…

That’s fine. I only want to find them so that I can throw them away. I’m just hoping they don’t go kaboom before I get to them… it may be another year.

You are right, I have them ready for disposal
Our own DBSAR did some testing on cells and trying to get them to vent.
My son was up for some serious abuse on our big island far away from houses and animals but my wife was not amused so we are not going to make videos and do the right thing, I think :slight_smile:
Still curious what is inside them, small cells, copper foil, but would not know what to do with remaining parts (I can think of some uses for copper foil yet being no name / bad name cells there could be small cells and sand in there, nothing cool :wink:

Your son has the right idea. What the wifey doesn’t know… won’t hurt her. :smiley:
Go for it………. :+1:
:wink:

[quote=teacher]

Sir,that is an EXCELLENT idea and I wish I had thought of it. I left the battery outside and my wife, being the neat freak, of course, tossed it.
Garbage pickup occurred about 3 hours ago :frowning:
Now I’ll never know.
:person_facepalming: