Close call - battery meltdown out of the clear blue

WAIT!

She put in in the wrong trash can and I still have it ! YAY!

Ok, will try to open it without damaging the already toasted insides……Pictures to follow :+1:

PS
Is there any danger from that toxic gas mentioned earlier or is that danger passed?

Hey, I wasn’t kidding about the grenade sump.

You cut into one of those the wrong way and it starts going supercritical, and you’ll have only seconds before Bad Things happen.

Just for s&g…

I would open it with a pipe cutter like I pictured above. It is clean and should do the job nicely. Just go slow and it should work fine.

Look at the link I gave you of HKJ’s review of one he cut open.
I am positive he cut his the same way I told you…. and he didn’t blow himself up. :wink:

If you decide you don’t want to do it…… mail it to me I’ll do it. :wink:

Seriously, double check what you do. Please be careful.
(I personally would never do it)

I don’t think this one has any energy left at all. Completely inert now because it already shorted, went thermal and cooled down.
Nothing left to react or get hot.

But….I will wear an OSHA hazardous materials respirator and goggles when I open it JIC.

Thanks for all the concern, advice and feedback. Great forum with great people :+1:

You start your sentence with “I don’t think” instead of “I’m certain”…

That sounds like proper autopsy attire to me. :wink:

Don’t rush it but looking forward to the results. :slight_smile:

That’s why I also included……

It’s not a military hand grenade :stuck_out_tongue:
I do a lot of welding, brazing and auto refinishing so I’ll be alright with this little battery I’m sure :innocent:

Correct. Lithium ion cells don’t come with a safety pin, hehe. :wink:

lol

I’m sure you’ve seen this before… I suddenly had to think about this one again… It’s a classic.

Haha!
That’s hilarious :smiley:

To quote our esteemed host:

Famous last words

Scary. Glad nothing terrible happened. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Zebrettaaaaa…… where are you :question:
You didn’t use a torch to open it did you?? … :cry:
:slight_smile:

Zebrette……… I hope the “autopsy” did not go wrong and you went……………

That would be sad indeed. … :cry:

Seriously, looking forward to your findings when you have time to post them…… :+1:
:slight_smile:

Just saw this and glad for the safe outcome Zebretta. My stash is small and only good cells, but it’s totally unsafe should something go wrong like this. I’ll now be addressing that sooner instead of later :wink:

Phil

SoCalTiger, I’m concerned about this. Is it at ALL possible for this to occur with such a small battery as that UltraFire 18650?
It was right on my desk in front of me when it went nuclear but as mentioned, there was no smoke or flames. Does anyone know if it’s at all likely that that battery could have vented hydrofluoric acid (HFA) gasses?

However, I don’t “think” I have to worry about that because according to post number 26 of this thread at candlepowerforums.com there actually has to be FLAMES for the HFA to be created. There were never any flames with this battery. Just high heat to the point I could not touch it.
HFA!

Calcium Gluconate Gel or Saline solution are the antidotes for HFA poisoning…and it’s said that you should have some on-hand if you work with potential sources of HFA…but WHERE can you get it? Don’t call Walgreens looking for it if you need it immediately. Their process to reach a pharmacists includes an automated reading of the entire “helpful” Global Pharmacy Ettiquette manifesto first.

Truth be told, I haven’t been doing so well the last few days but I’m attributing it to lack of sleep and possibly fighting the flu?
No chest pains or violent coughing. Just feeling awful. Like you do when you are coming down with flue (which has in fact been going around lately).
About to go read up on it now. But again, EVERYONE has these batteries around. If it was that dangerous would they be allowed?

I don’t specifically remembering “sniffing” the battery…but I might have instinctively.

If you had been smoking at the time, so you would have been inhaling the vented gas through a flame, the combustion products could include HF.

Same hazard as from burning chlorofluorocarbons. Any synthetic fluorine compound, basically, burned in air will emit hydrogen fluoride. You could have been running an open flame heater, or burning incense, and the vented gas could have passed through those flames. You could have been using a carbon arc lamp (grin) … endless scenarios are possible, but unlikely.

Hm, I wonder if any of the chemicals put in li-ion cells are CFCs?
Anyone seen a list of the chemicals that might be used?

Of course, with these fake batteries, they could be pouring anything into them.
Need to get rid of your toxic waste? Package it in, or as, something and ship it out ….

Anyhow: