(closed,all sold out) Review: No strobe,L/M/H,no memory "BLF MINI" Light

Awaiting delivery in VA. Tracking results as of today. I paid the extra $2 for “fast” shipping.

First-Class Mail International
Processed Through Sort Facility
October 25, 2012, 9:27 am
ISC NEW YORK NY (USPS)
International Letter

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Processed Through Sort Facility

October 21, 2012, 3:46 pm

GUANGZHOU, CHINA PEOPLES REP

Acceptance
October 20, 2012, 12:32 pm

CHINA PEOPLES RE

EDIT:
Mail was just delivered and the Mini arrived!! Looks and feels very good with no observed flaws. Love the tint - perfect, IMO. Low is plenty bright in the dark. There is a definite pre-flash going to low when cycling through the modes but not significant to me. It has a very strong battery spring which tends to impede the closing after battery change and requires careful threading - at least on mine. Once secured, mode changes are very smooth with no surprises. Threads were dry upon receipt.

Bottom Line: I like it. Thanks, Rey for all your hard work putting the deal together

Got today (California).
I should have ordered half a dozen, is my first take.

Using a CR123 primary that registers dead on a ZTS battery tester — not even 10% — I get all 3 brightness levels — the high drops quickly to medium, as it should with a “dead” primary cell.

No flash before “low” using the “dead” primary.

Li-ion RCR cell: sometimes a brief flash before low, not always; and
sometimes after using it on low, then turning it off and setting it down, and turning it back on, it comes back on medium — probably I haven’t got the timing down yet, or haven’t unscrewed it quite far enough — I put a tiny bit of electrically conductive gel on the threads and it both feels much smoother and seems more consistent with the brightness level.

Removing and cutting the inner spring by 2 or 3mm will significantly improve and lighten the twist tension. Add some electrical lube on the threads and you have a hell of a little torch!

I would order another one if it’s made available but I would like a CW LED instead of a NW LED, just to change things up.

For those who have already received their lights, can anyone confirm fast pwm?

My two arrived in NYC sort on Oct 25th - may take a while. Iv'e recently seen an order sent to 2 different Conecticut locations before getting to L.I.

I tracked my order and its still in singapore. At least I know where it is… :email:

Mine's in Hong Kong, and it was supposed to get here quick with the fast shipping.

If I believe the tracking information, my is still in Singapore. With DHL it should have been in my hands since a few days . . .

All we can do is sit and watch the time go by :wink:

I got 3 nice RCR123A's, charged, waiting for these bad boys, but looks like Sandy will be here before they arrive . I just may have enough lights and batts to last a few days (u think?).

> pwm

On the low setting, when I wave the light at arm’s length back and forth as fast as I can, I see a dotted line of afterimages — it is pulsed, as expected, to dim it.

I don’t notice any flicker at the low setting when using the light normally.

I don’t know what rate of flicker I detect — the cutoff frequency differs for individuals — but I used to be fairly sensitive to it.

Can’t hear any whine from it.

Thanks for the info hank

Received mine today.
Also noticed the flicker, and had problems with switching modes.
I tightened the pill and pushed the spring downwards, and it looks like solved.

The thing I also noticed was the scratch/durt on the led.

The threads look to cross easily as well.

For the rest happy with it.
I measured 1.2A on high.

I just picked up my lights from our shipping department (Southern California). It was actually received on 10/27/12.
Very happy with the overall product.

> I would order another one if it’s made available but I would like a CW LED

chuckle. And I’d like a high-CRI (after comparing this to the LED in my Ra Twisty high-CRI)

It’ll take a while to shake out as we use this model.

I hope the folks who made it are thinking about how to improve it, along with those of us who bought version 1.

Personally, I’d like a bit more grip — I’ve put some o-rings on the outside — as the smooth stainless steel gets a bit slippery fairly fast.

No complaints, always thinking.

Yep, today they arrived. Personally I prefer a bit more warmth in my neutral lights but it’s much better than the usual blue. The rest of the light is really nice, better then expected. Two thumbs up from me.

Hello,

I was in my way to order a mini-01 and discovered this thread just before.
I’d like to buy this BLF wonder but it seems that I come too late. Real shame…
So my question to Rey is simple: Are you planning to make new BLF minis ?
In this case, I’m in but if it’s too long (1/2 months), I’ll buy a standard Mini-01.

Let me know.

Thanks !

zecampesien

I got mine today also… and it’s awesome!!! Thanks alot Rey!!!

Luckies, I am really excited to get this light considering all the good words about it.

Our task now is to use them hard and beat on them until they break, to get the information needed to make version 2 better :slight_smile:

Or at least, I hope so — I hope this has been rewarding enough for all those who helped make them work and get them built, so we can do more.

Meanwhile, what’s the thread, and has anyone seen a 2xaa battery holder that fits it??