(closed,all sold out) Review: No strobe,L/M/H,no memory "BLF MINI" Light

Sorry to hear that Pulsar, to anyone still waiting for theirs good luck. :) I just got out my second one (ordered 2) and it also works fine. The tint seems to be closer to a 4C then a 3C but I still like it.

I had a blonde moment tonight and stuck one of the cr123a batt’s in my charger :open_mouth:
After about ten minutes I noticed what I had done and pulled it out. Read 4.0 volts. Wonder what would have happened if I left it longer.

Since I ordered two Minis I can understand the different opinions on the color tint. One of my minis has a nearly perfect NW (maybe a tiny little yellowish tint), but the other one has a noticable green tint, which isn’t too nice. The greenish one also seems to be a little bit darker with the same Yezl cell I used in the other one.
I think there’s a huge difference between the individual LEDs everyone has got . . .

Glad to STILL have you here…

That gives an idea of how led's are handled in the Trustfire factury (and for that matter, all chinese budget light companies I suppose). I can imagine they receive reels from Cree with all sorts of bins and tints and start putting them all (or most of them) in flashlights with not much regard for what tint it is. Having said that, the cool whites I have are pretty close together, so why is this more a problem with neutrals?

Pulsar13, i'm sorry to hear that.

actually i tested all the lights together with my colleague.

I did noticed some defects and ask for repair.

but some just flee away. Really sorry for my carelessness.

Will start a new post and prepare on the next batch.

Then you will have a replacement.

Sorry for the trouble.

Best regards

Rey

Maybe just got a not good batch.

First, your hair turns from Blonde to Flame Red and then to Charcoal Gray….

smiles

I am really tempted to go try that...

I am still waiting for mine. Any day now, I hope. :santa:

>> the next batch

Next batch? Hopeful.

I was lucky enough with the LED I got the first time. Don’ t know if you have any hope of better control on that — but if the shop wants to start making a higher quality product, you’re getting them the feedback and testing they could use.

>> in … budget light companies …. imagine they receive reels from Cree

I imagine they get end scraps from reels, whatever’s cheap.
This could change though.

>>> slippery

No kidding. I found a nice rubber ring in my plumbing box — a “dielectric water heater washer” — that’s a perfect fix for the battery tube. These things have a triangular cross section, flat outside, point toward the inside of the ring, so they give a good grip yet move easily: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ShDXD8rAL.jpg and the outside diameter is still less than the head of the flashlight. Solves the slippery problem for me while leaving it still pocketable.

Both my BLF MINIs have a similar yellowish tint.

Looking at the 2% Low: & using the provided 3V Primary, followed by AW Protected & IMR cells; both color tint & output lumens levels appear fairly constant.

At higher (30% & full) levels the yellow tint washes out - possibly due to the higher brightness levels.
(This washing out effect was not so apparent [to me] when using the 3V Primary at M/H).

As flagged our BLF NW appears yellow in comparison with my Balder SE-1 NW.

HOWEVER, I paid double for the Balder. Perhaps, for a small custom job, like this, more needs to be paid? … At least $20, or so, to get a desirable quality?
With my AW cells the UI also seemed more ‘dicky’, particularly with the IMR.

Bottom line though - for the price paid, a very good custom version?

I did it in my i4 charger and had a 18650 in the other slot. strangely i was thinkinv of doing it agai for 2 mins or so.lol dumb idea i know

—The final results are consistent with the position after 50 hours, posting #489 earlier.

My continuous Low (2%) run died overnight. Runtime, using the included TrustFire 3V Primary, might have been around 90 hours. (Others have said that a TF primary may not have the same capacity as some other primary cells - I don’t know).

Relative dimming of output (compared to my other BLF MINI) was observable from around 45 hours; with further dimming over time. Due to voltage drop?

Some 30 hours on, I finally got around to checking the voltage of the used primary. My open circuit (unloaded) reading was 1.60V. Having been rested for 30 hours I reinserted it, & my MINI has now been outputting a very weak light for over two hours. When it next fails to fire the LED I will immediately check the cell voltage.

I also checked the OC voltage of my other two TF primaries. That from my original TF Mini-01 was just 3.06V. The primary from my other BLF MINI was 3.15V - it having only been lightly used: initially to check the operation of the torch; & then to test comparative light output.

I’m prepared to sacrifice a second TF primary - my lightly used 3.15V cell. Testing a BLF 30% Mid will enable a comparison with the output from the second MINI; as I did with the test on Low to check the dimming output over time. My only concern is whether the 30% Medium output will run too hot for an expected 3 - 6 hour continuous runtime?

Should I expose our SS MINI to a continuous 1/2 watt, or so, warming? Suggestions, other than - “Go for it : it’s your MINI, or you have two” - would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Alternatively, I could test my original Mini-01 [10%] Low - but I wouldn’t have a clone to check for output dimming over time. The user interface efficiency might also differ between our BLF & the Mini-01 versions.

I guess I’m attempting an assessment of the efficiency of our new BLF UI.
(From memory, there may be a NITECORE A123 CR123 torch, that on High is rated on a par with JohnnyMacs OTF 173 lumens, & runs on a 3V Primary for 1.8 hours).

EDIT: My NITECORE sens CR is rated at 190 lumens for 2 hours. However, again from memory :~ , a review shows that full output may halve after just 77 minutes.

I received my Mini today. Good condition. Tint is fine, a normal NW Tint (advance towards to WW, but still NW). “No green”. Modes are well balanced. But I’ve a flash between mid and high mode. Sometimes it rebounds to low mode.

Edit: Problem solved for now. I adjusted the spring.

Rey:

Mine finally arrived and each one had the same excellent warmish neutral tint. Mode spacing appears spot on.

Thank you again for doing this.

Now onto A8 :slight_smile:

You lucky dog!

EDIT: W00T! Checked the tracking and it shows it hit my local post office this morning around 4am. I should get home to find a yellow "sorry we missed you" slip in the mail. Looks like I will have them tomorrow. :)

EDIT #2: Looks like the boy was awake at home and was able to sign for the package. I'm gonna have some fun tonight! The Mini's as well as a UF-F10 I've been waiting for. :love:

Received my mini a few days ago.

Thanks Rey.

I’ve had this light a couple weeks and I’m very happy with it.
It’s my first nom CW tint but wont be my last.

Strangely in a quick ceiling bounce comparison this light seems to output about the same as my Quark Mini123 XPG-R5 at 180lm and only slightly less brightly than my Incendio V3U XML T6 at 216lm. On the other hand it is slightly brighter than my Quark TurboX 123 on high at 260lm.

I’d do more of a round up but if my wife saw all the lights I’d be in a discussion I didnt want to start.

Just wanted to show the not so nice machining marks on my tails, other than that I’m pretty happy.
Yes I added some o-rings for traction :slight_smile: