Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available

Is anyone selling a kit of board+components for $5? Send me a PM. For many non-US residents, the competition aspect is irrelevant because they’ll never buy from RMM. I can’t pay shipping costs at 140% the price of the product.

I just built my first FET driven light, a C8, a couple of weeks ago. Up to then I was using 7135 boards with only 8 drivers, can’t really see well enough to stack them and most are P60’s. With good braiding on springs I could hit 3 amps on a good cell, but when I built the C8 and saw 4.8 amps and the output… Wow! I still need to copper mount an XP-g2 that I have for it and get that installed, but the aluminum XM-L2 U2 looks great, but the heat does get to it quickly. I do have, or should I say my wife has a copper FET driven dropin in her 18350 Solarforce L2n and it really draws as well. I was planning to keep the dropin for myself, until she saw that it had moon and made a wall of light rather than a bright hot spot… I lost that one.

The idea of a great driver with a strong UI and all the goodies is actually exciting. I do plan to EDC this light in 5A, or in 1A with 7 modes sounds awesome. I really like the idea of 7 modes, almost ramping with a reverse anywhere in the mode set.

Matt

I’m definitely interested! :smiley:

Wonder how hard it is to roll your own spacer by stacking copper. Probably a pain in the tail.

Ordernd mine Monday, ships today! Can’t wait to get it! Thanks bugsy36!

3D In Stock!

Ordered mine on 14 Aug, shipped on 18 Aug. Now waiting begins… :slight_smile:
Thank you!

The links to the parts and Oshpark are in this thread

i ordered 3 different tints on 14.8 and today they are still pending even i requested send them one by one also for custom reasons the order processing not that great with banggood i have to admit

today 5a tint is daid to be in stock again on 5th sept if they hold my order for al llights till then i will think about to cancel all my orders

i agree with you agrolite its a free market makes no sense to protects friends for an open source product

I just placed an order for a 1A. This is going to be a great light for biking.

Thanks bugsy!

As I have hinted before, I agree with jack and argolite, I greatly admire Richard for what he has done, starting here on BLF and setting up his very friendly business, making and selling our BLF-designed boards for what I think is less than the normal costs of components plus labour, and in general he runs the best flashoholics shop in the world, but even though he ships all over the world nowadays, it is not attractive to buy from him from overseas. Even though the initial shipping costs are reasonable, most packages coming from the USA get checked by customs over here and 18 euro's charged for handling. That never ever happened to packages from China.

Apart from this, the design and UI of this board is a BLF-effort, not a MtnElectronics effort, so I don't see a reason to keep this a MtnElectronics exclusive. I do think that apart from what the legal rights are for board and firmware, I would still like to see wight's and Toykeeper's personal approval for having this driver sold separately by Banggood.

As for the costs compared to a 105C, I do not see why this board can not be sold for less than 10 dollar. All components but the FET are exactly the 105C components. I guess the single FET is still more expensive than the 7x7135 chips that are not used, but it is not several dollars (I can buy a suitable FET for 50 cents, the best one for less than a dollar). The costs of 'development' are already done because the driver is already in production. What's leftover is the costs of limited amounts produced compared to a 105C, and that remains to be seen, this will sell well.

I understand that bugsy and Krono are certainly not going to initiate this, and I also am not in a position to put time in this, but I hope that it will be picked up by someone because if there's one driver that deserves to be easily available for flashoholics worldwide for a reasonable price, this is the one.

43 5A are arrival today

so the remain stock

1A: 94

3D:90

5A:10

some who both order 5A and other tind will be shipped soon

Save some for the bare lights!

Please add me to the buy list for 2 – NW. Thank you!

Welcome to BLF!!

My 3D was shipped today. Normally around 2 weeks delivery time for me. I can’t wait. :slight_smile:

argolite: bugsy was saying that the components themselves could not be bought for $5 unless bought in some very large quantities.

jack: Neither wight’s driver, nor Richard’s driver (Mountain Electronics) are open source. They own the rights to those drivers. They have shared the specs for anyone who wants to build their own, but that doesn’t automatically transfer to some company making them to sell. That requires a separate permission. You would have to get that from Richard for his driver, or wight for his driver, which is the one we’re using in this light.

djozz: Whether you like it or not, this is wight’s driver, and nobody has permission to make it for sale to the general public. Richard’s driver is the same way. It is Richard’s and he would have to approve anybody producing them to sell.

You guys are beating not only a dead horse, but one that is dead, buried, rotted, and returned to earth. If you are serious about wanting either wight’s or Richard’s driver to be made and sold globally, you are barking up the wrong tree here. Get in touch with wight or Richard directly and make it happen. Nobody else can (legally) help you.

My 3D and 5A shipped today for me as well. :bigsmile:

The driver is open source for personal use only. The UI can be used by anyone for anything. We have been through this over and over. This driver will not be mass produced.

...which is very pityful for flashlight lovers all over the world. This will have its legal, historic and personal reasons (IMO not every given reason is reasonable as I stated above), but at least it remains a missed opportunity for the flashoholic community.

edit: the driver and UI being open source means nothing to the majority of folks: it involves buying components that are hard to get outside the USA, skills and equipment that they do not have (reflowing, flashing MCU) and lots of time. Compared to installing a ready made driver, that is a huge effort and only few get to that level.

I’d be in for one 1A, please.