Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available

+1 :wink:

I guess it is a XPH70 triple? more details please :slight_smile:

EDIT
I was wrong it was a XPH50 triple :wink:

Let’s keep Bugsy’s thread about the A6 and how it’s coming along. :wink:

From what I’ve seen of the necessary components, pretty much at a minimum this one’s going to pull in the 4A range. With some full cooperation and all the right parts, you might see 50% more than that.

The real key to a light like this is in the low end. That’s where the primary usage will play out for most people. With the 7135 chip the lowest modes will be highly efficient and the cell will last a very long time. Stepping into the FET zone will obviously be a game changer, especially on the top end. This is why the 7 mode levels. Being able to keep 4 levels under 1A of draw can be crucial to long term operation of a small easily carryable light. Those top 3 levels are there when you need em though. :slight_smile:

I understood the XP-L led to have a maximum current of 3A.

Why is the led not failing when driven with higher currents?

We push all of em beyond the max, the 1.5A rated XP-G2 we push to 5A all the time. I just saw a little over 6A to an XP-L in the A6 a couple of days ago. The 3A XM-L2 up to 7A, the 3A MT-G2 to 12A and more. I’ve put the 4A rated XHP70 on a direct drive FET driver and saw a little over 12A. Not sure what the XHP50 will do as these are my first ones and I don’t see an easy way to get a reading out of this light.

Nature of the beast and all that. The new XM-L2’s die around 6A instead of 8A. I don’t think Nichia’s can be pushed as hard.

Because of the copper mcpcb, and it will probably fail sooner than when driving it at a maximum 3A, but with the ridiculous amount of hours they rate these LEDs for, i am happy to trade some of those for more light.

Have a look at Match’s charts, these should help you see the correlation a little more clearly. They’ll do over max on the aluminum star, but fare much better on copper.

I know you can run them over 3A on aluminum, but you can’t run them like this light plan to do (at least not how i plan to, including low resistance mods), if you don’t want to cook the LED.

I guess you could with a short turbo timeout and with a severely restricted lumens output, but whats the fun in that :wink:

But i am a bit curious what the performance would be, if i would happen against all the best intentions to only be a aluminum mcpcb in this light because we didn’t get to 500 sign ups.

I guess we’d be finding our copper elsewhere. :wink:

Got Noctigons? :bigsmile:

I’m not asking for this driver, but was there a similar one sold somewhere?

More neccesarry than the actual material is if the star is DTP. That is necessary in a light with a Fet driver.

What is DTP please?

Thanks for all the answers to my question.

Good point.

Do we know if the original A6 mcpcb is DTP?

DTP is Direct Thermal Path. This is an unobstructed heat path from the bottom of the emitter through the star. Most aluminum stars that are OEM have a layer of dielectric that is essentially a fiberglass like the masking material between the pad and the metal of the star. The good copper star has pure copper between the emitter and the flashlight host, no blockage.

DTP = Direct Thermal Path
(MC)PCB = (Metal Core) Printed Circuit Board / “Star”, on which the LEDs are mounted

RMM can fix you up.
FET driver

No worries Cajampa. I really think that we will get there and get copper. We are over the half way mark and we are not hurrying this anyway :)

Now that I have said that - I started playing around a little bit to find out a few things for no other reason other than curiosity. Bare in mind that I do not have a light meter and I did not take any current measurements due to time.

First - I installed one of my removed XM-L2 U2's (on bare bottom aluminum). I figured since it was a "take-off" that I could sacrifice it if necessary. I expected a blue light and a poof. Nope!! Not even close. I even took it to work and used for a couple of nights - no issues. Perceived brightness was the same but spot was larger than the XPL. In order to gauge brightness, I compared both the XPL and XML2 to my daily triple.

Second - When reinstalling the XPL I found that if you apply too much heat to the star that the damned emitter will dedome itself. That must be an XPL thing because that is the second time that happened to me. Of course the output seemed to drop but the spot did get tighter yet and the tint got warmer.

Third - My constant lights are my EE F30, my S2 Triple, and occasionally my Fenix PD35. Because of the triple i have grown accustomed to heat and even what I think would be dangerous heat (think 10 hours of not steady on but still very constant usage not by just me but also non-flashlight people at work who now sport triples :)). One would think that with the FET and 1500 Lm and over 5A that this would be scalding hot. In my opinion....absolutely not. Do I know that it is warmer that my stock PD35..yes but my F30 runs hotter than my PD35. This A6 just barely runs hotter than my F30 and nowhere near as hot as my S2 Triple.

If Dale is up to it..maybe he can verify what I am saying but til now these are my findings. If I find time maybe I will do some current measurements (after my soldering station comes in). None of this playing around was performed in any scientific manner whatsoever.

Yes, the XP-L de-domes itself particularly easily. When it’s hot, it only takes a gentle nudge to make the dome come cleanly off. It seems to have a new type of easily-separable dome design. It’s common for people to do “hot dedomes” on these instead of the usual “gas dedome” used for older emitters.

Thus why I need the soldering station. LOL.

You want me to put the Al mcpcb back in? Well that’s just wrong! :stuck_out_tongue:

I can do that, I’ll run it in the lightbox and time it, hit it with the IR meter with both types and then show the difference. Maybe I can set up my camera and video the lightbox, show how the light is actually performing.

We don’t see it, because our eyes adjust continually, but in the lightbox you can watch the numbers fall and fall and fall… easy comparison between the Al and Cu star.

Now we are talking science !! :) Only if you have time and are up to it but not really that important :)