Combat ring for Tube lights like the S2+?

Ok, I had a request today from a LEO guy I know for a “Combat ring” for a tube light.

This would allow them to hold the light between their fingers like a cigarette. It sounds silly at first but once you try it, it actually makes sense.

The ring is there to allow something to push agient so it doesn’t slip out of the fingers and you can press the tail switch without pushing the light through your fingers.

Surefire offers these (which is I am sure what he is talking about): http://www.surefire.com/combatrings-cr-kit01.html

But at $20 for a piece of plastic, I ain’t doing that.

So anyone know of something like that for an S2+ but a lot cheaper? I could not find anything when searching.

Ah yeah up toba certain point the cigar grip is very nice.
Lights with a ring usually have a space in the tube, the S series does not have that if I am not mistaken.
Another one of those times a 3D printer seems sweet to have.

3D printing is a good idea for it but it would be all hard plastic vs some rubber. I was hoping something would already be available.

Well I might make up a design, and see what it looks like, the issue is not having it be too slick.

to “combat ring” Use different things: I put a picture of three examples:
The first top has a conical gasket by 1” (for hydraulic)
at the center, it has a conical gasket 1” + a Oring.
They seem undersized, but they do their duty to create adherence between your fingers and the flashlight body.
The third, the bottom, has a combat ring “native” (small sun ZY-R13), I just added the self vulcanizing tape to make it more adherent, has a soft compound rubber, but that’s okay.

But, on other occasions, I have also used tires to toys, as the wheels of Playmobil Jumper motorcycle.

Interesting ideas, do they slide around if they do not have any kind of lip for them to rest against? All of those appear to be resting on some kind of ledge?

I’ve used those plumbing gaskets, they work well.
So does the black plastic mending tape that sticks to itself instead of sticking to anything else.
Several wraps of that build an area up nicely.
Especially on those zoom lights where you go to twist the zoom part and the tailcap unscrews.

I’ve had good luck using a section of rubber chair tip on the S2+:

I got the idea from a post on BLF, but haven’t been able to find it again.

The problem with these rings are it depends where place them they may interfere with the light cause the tail cap won’t tighten enough.
You could use pvc pipe or maybe even a rubber door mat.

There is no problem to cut them from SS sheet with laser, but there is no place for them in Convoy lights, tail side threads are anodized, if you add smth between tail and tube there will be no electrical connection.
Sometimes there is one more thinning in tube (S2 for example), but it is about 3mm length, I suppose plasic would be better material to make such rings.

The rubber ring from the ZY-R13 (post#4) fits the narrowed clip position of the EE X6, the Kronos lights, Convoy S8 and the BLF A6, MankerE14/AstroluxS41 (the Convoy S2+ has a narrower clip ring, it will not fit there). It also fits some e-switch lights like the Olight S30 and the Solarstorm SC02 but a cigargrip is intended for tail-clickies. I keep it on the BLF-X6 because it looks great on that light but would like to find it for sale somewhere for use on some others lights also.

And some lights look a bit funny with it:

If I can’t find anything pre-made I am gonna try 3D printing something that will “snap” into the grove that is normally used for a pocket clip.

Nice but it won’t fit the S2 or S2+? Where do you get these?

Interesting idea, got a link to where you get them?

P.S., that is a well used S2+, looks like my old Fenix P2D.

The chair tip protectors are available at most of the big box hardware stores. Search “leg tip” or check the aisle with the adhesive felt furniture feet.

I think I got mine at Lowe’s, and they were marked 7/8” to 1”. Good fit on the Convoy S2+, BLF D80, and BLF A6.

I’m a cheater… I faked that ’patina’ on my S2+ triple! :smiley:

The red S2+ was just a bit too flashy right out of the box, and I wanted to try a DIY stonewash.

Here’s my post in the ‘What did you mod today?’ thread about how I did it.

Those chair leg tips are available in assorted diameters, colours and materials in any hardware store, or even ‘dollar’ stores.

I’ve used them to fabricate diffusers, modify lights to tail stand, and turn into grip collars.

Possibly a rubber grommet in the proper size, from your local hardware store.

Duh, I knew I had seen them at home depot. Too used to having to order everything online.

So it is like those “pre-worn” jeans? The look is nice actually, I just prefer to earn the wear and tear, then I have the stories to go with them lol.

Haha, exactly like pre-worn jeans.

I agree that “earning” the patina is better, but I’m too easy on my gear! :smiley:

Search for silicone vape grip rings and most should fit 18650 tubes. I have some on the way so cannot share pics just yet.

Those are nice, too bad they are so small, not sure you could really get a grip on them like an officer would need. Or are there larger ones I missed?

Couldn’t find larger ones but was hoping I could stack them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have found that silicone vape grip rings are ok initially but after a while
silicone seems to stretch & become too loose.

Maybe a slice of hard rubber like a chair-leg tip would be better ?