COMETA Solutions//Warnings, safety, problem"fixes", pre/post mod measurements, & more. UPDATED

G'Day Budda,

If you refer to Cyberescudo's original thread's OP:

WARNING: Cometa – read/fix BEFORE inserting battery

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/37235

You will see that there were 305 Cometas spoken for by BLF members (a few of these opted for EU delivery, but AFAIK most were from China warehouse).

Best Regards,

George

@Bonham I’m here dealing with a problem. I’d like to know the magnitude of it.
If I know that 234 lights have been sold, and I know that there aree 234 members who say thay got their money back, I’m happy.
I did not evalueted the project. I saw the Cyberescudo posts and his opinion. That light was good, so I listed for 1 cometa.
We’re here dealing with this problem because the sample sent for the evaluetion to Cyberescudo is different from the one actually sold by BG.
I’m here dealing with BG “errors” (something made on purpose is not an error) because I know you worked for your money and what happened it’s unfair.
Unfair to all, including people who worked on the project like Cyberescudo.

I’d like to see a thread with all the members who bought write the status of their paypal/whatever they used to get their money back.
I’d like to know that all the members got refounded and then the only thing we will have to live with will be a horrible light with our forum name on it that we didn’t approved.

You can start that thread yourself.
Cometa Register and Refund Log- post your status
That’s a good name for it in English.
I would start it for you but too many would ignore it with my name on it.

Trevor I do read and understand your messages.
Thanks for the suggestions.
We are still trying to figure things out with banggood, hopefully for good.

In my world this is called fraud.

I am disappointed that valuable members behave like politicians and not call things by their real names!
With such obvious fraud and the apparent unwillingness of BG to compensate cheated customers I join the OL proposal for a boycott or other appropriate sanctions for Banggood.
Reading about the attitude to this and other similar cases here, I am pessimistic about any progress at all of the Cometa saga.

hmmm did anybody see this J Team action yet?

Hmm refund for the Cometa, and a real Jax Z1 host for the zoomie it was supposed to be sounds pretty logical!
Banggood send me a pill so this is not my route, I wrote I accept the new pill so bound by that.

Hey, do you want to surender now?
Boycott is not the solution I personally want.
I want money back for people who bought something different from the advertised product.
Once members have been refounded, they can decide to move their purchases elsewhere, or not.
I trust the members decisions.

If we don’t get this, then we will do ANYTHING we can.

True a boycot is not the solution, BG will work harder to fix things knowing sales will follow :wink:

Can you tell us what these differences were?

To answer Budda’s question. I own one, and I haven’t asked for or received a refund. It is honestly not worth the time and aggravation.

If BG was honorable, they would refund the money and pay for return shipping without having all of us jump through hoops. Neal, for all the good it it does to have a BG representative among us- is never around when there is an issue; though he was quick to respond when a manufacturer showed up to call BG out, wasn’t he?

No one- and I’m mostly referring to our EU friends- should buy this light regardless of what anyone says has been fixed. Once bitten, twice shy. We’ve all been warned at this point. This light is not, and will never be, right and proper. The light is a huge POS and so is BG’s customer service. All anybody who buys one now is doing is throwing good money after bad.

These group buys treat the membership like the initial investors in a Ponzi scheme where we fund the initial production costs and then through word of mouth (forum posts, YT vids, and IG photos) we dupe non-hobbiests into buying tens of thousands more lights.

Which would be all well and good if someone, anyone one, could just produce a light according to spec and provide us what we bargained for in the first place. These group buys should be a symbiotic relationship where we all benefit. Instead, I am reminded of the scorpion and the turtle fable.

So, perhaps all this talk about a boycott should focus a little closer to home. Maybe we should stop these things where they are born by not participating in the group buys in the first place. That, of course, is an individual choice, but I suspect, that as these deals come and go with various degrees of associated problems, people will eventually tire of being taken for a ride and simply avoid them in the first place.

Which is too bad, because, in theory, every one of these group buy lights should have really been something special.

I have never seen a Jax Z1, a cometa, nor a sample in person.
Judging from the pictures comments from CPF and BLF members, the differences are enlightened in the first post.

- No jaxman

- Wobbly threads

- undeperforming lens

- undersized wires

- ovrsized driver housing

- shorting in a couple of points

• DOA

While some safety issues may be addressed (insulating pill, insulating led baseplate), I still have to see a reliable solution for keeping the driver still in the bigger pill; the wobbly threads can be an pratically solved with o-rings (a solution that some members of CPF came up with), changing the wire will lead to more current but the less performing lens is an issue that would be resolved only with a new, quality lens.
So, there are a lot of things that can be done. I have some hand skills around lights and I could address some problems if BangGood solves it.
For example, I could make myself the washers, make less wobbly soldering, change the wires.

But not everyone can do it, and SURELY no member here bought a DIY light. Members payed for a fully working light and should not spend time and money fixing.
A possible solution may be BG supplying a new fully assembled pill with Driver-led-wires, washers and o-rings for the thread.
So the members WHO WOULD LIKE to keep the light, could get a safely working light AND receive a partial refound (for the trouble and the lens).
Or they could add the lens, increasing the performance of the light and thus reducing the “damage” done to the users.
This kit will increase the performance and can resurrect the dead cometa of the members.

However, members who don’t want to know anymore about the cometa, should get a full refound.
In the message above stated that he hasn’t made a claim and he won’t. I do believe he still should getting something.

It’s absurd to say: members, don’t do anything about your cometa yet; and I’m not gonna do it.
However I’ve red about different experiences with the paypal claims: someone got money back quickly, other slowly and throught hundreds of pics and videos and others have been asked to return the light.
Some say to boycott Bg… but what does it means? Cometa members will not buy anymore from BG? No more BG groupbuys at all on BLF and CPFItalia?
I’d like to come to a deal with BG so all the users will work things out quicker and smoother.
Toghether we can move the needle of the balance more than singularly.
This is my belief.

Me and other members of the staff are coming up with new proposals and writing to BG in order to sort things out.
We are making them kind proposal… and other things. We want solution for all the cases stated above.
We will update you when we have relevant news.

Banggood has their Professional Guy Zoe on it for a solution:

“Dear,
Thank you for your review,and I am a profeesional guys.
I am very hear that.
About the driver,it is the noctigon copper mcpcb,but the supplier change the brand (BLF).
And the battery will short the pill,I will resend a insulating ring to you.
Could you send me a video to show about the problem of ”loose focusing head” ?
Don’t worry,I wil try my best to help you solve the problem.
Looking forward to your reply,thanks!
Best Regards,
Zoe 14077621”

“Dear,
I have been contact the supplier and the driver is 17mm.
When it add a insulating ring,it will not short out.
And about the loose focusing head,could you find some good stickiness of silicone oil smear on the screw thread?(Like about the button oil of the car)
Looking forward to your reply,thanks!
Best Regards,
Zoe 14077621”

oh, and I forgot the members going through that funny nonsense (a underpayed guy who needs to convince users to dismiss their claims or he’ll be fired).

Also,because I damaged the led, trying to unscrew the pill,I gave the light to a technician,who put a new led on a Noctigon 20mm plate, instead.But when I told him to change the cables to others with #20 gauge,he answered that it is not necessary and he did not change them.He did not bypassed the springs also.
So,if I can finally do these modifications,how many Lumens more can I have from the light?

Has any one put through a Paypal claim?

That is hilarious RobertB. Those are some of the exact same replies I received from ‘Professional Guy Zoe’.
Almost word for word. :person_facepalming:
Ya’ gotta just laugh at this whole situation………… :wink:

Yeah it’s a script guys

I just expected them to have ditched the s
I am a professional guy*s* does not look all that professional :wink:

@Theodore41
If you make bypass springs, bigger cables, you could probably scratch some extra Amps (if your cell support them) and extra lumens will follow (no so many, for example if you double the amps after the max recommended amps, you will not get double lumens). But this will also change the initial burst imho.
Also, the “underperforming” lens will step in and lessen the output.
Since measuring lumens can be hard, I suggest you to measure the lux and compare your measurement to the members who have it modified.

Thank you very much Budda.
You remind me of the lens,which you,and others, say it is of inferior quality.Is there a better lens of the same size, to put it in the light and what can someone expect from this change?And what would its price?

Let me fix that for ya:

I am a professional guise …