COMETA Solutions//Warnings, safety, problem"fixes", pre/post mod measurements, & more. UPDATED

I did put XP-L HI in zoomies and always got better throw due to the (virtually) smaller die. After reading theodore’s unknown00101’s post again I guess he put different lenses into the same light which makes a valid compare.

Unfortunately I do not have enough experience with zoomies but I see what you are saying.

Bit off topic, but does this mean the Jaxman Z1 is the best zoomie out there still?

That seems to be the consensus, and we should soon know the views of Dale, Yourrid, Tom E, Ouchyfoot, & the others with their newly purchased Jaxman Z1 hosts.

Best Regards,

George

Hmm. Looking at my table it may be confusing. I think I tried to include too much information. Sorry about that. I edited my post and included better tables (included below too).

I put the Z1 lens in the Cometa and the Cometa lens in the Z1 and took measurements in each configuration. Then I put them back in their respective host. The Z1 is fully stock with an xml2.

Throw measured at 7ft converted to candela.

Maybe that Brinyte is a good contester too.
It has a smarter cooling and waterproofing design that sets it apart for me.

Remember, Jaxman told us what their AliExpress page currently sells is their “version 4”
They’ve said the earlier versions with the “Jax” name sold by other resellers do differ in various ways.
The difference in lens size could be one of those.

I should mention my Z1 was obtained in September 2014, probably one of the first versions.

I vaguely recall someone found a PVC pipe cap at AliExpress that fits as a cover over the Cometa lens.
But search isn’t working out for me. Anyone recall or able to find that?

Hmmmmm…… that does “ring a bell” somewhere back in my memory banks.
Seems like they had left their light on ‘high’ with the cover on and it got a hole melted in it…… ??? …… :open_mouth:
And they found the substitute then….

That is all I remember. … IF IRRC…… :person_facepalming:
I’ll search around & try to find more. :slight_smile:

I ordered Z1 lens caps from Jaxmans Aliexpress store for my Cometa”s, they fit perfectly.
I also ordered Z1 lenses to replace the extremely poor Cometa stock lenses, that were very brittle, scratched & had dirt & imperfections in the glass itself.
With the Z1 lens, led wires changed from 24awg to 20 awg & spring bypasses I managed to get over 1200 lumens as opposed to the 960-980 lumens mine produced stock & a much nicer tint due to the lens.

:+1: ………. yep, you did good b-h. :wink:

Found it!!! :+1:

HERE it is hank. :wink:
Here is the post about the Melted lens cap too.

They are nice & cheap Teacher :+1:

Yep, either way one goes they are cheap “b-h”; your right. :wink:

Since this has been mention again and brought back to my attention I am gonna look at the local Lowes Building DSupply and see if they might have some of those opaque ones. Quite a few times when messing with my Cometa’s or Z1’s I have almost done what the guy did in the “meltdown post”. :person_facepalming: I just happened to recheck before the cap melted. :slight_smile:

If it was on it would be more evident with the opaque cap.

And just to be clear, when I said “you had done good” above.
I was talking about the way you “rebuilt” your ’under-built’ Cometa. :wink:

It/they turned out very nice and much closer to what they should have been from the very beginning! :+1:

I also replaced the lens to a Z1 original,and I had more throw plus better tint.I haven’t changed cables neither did spring bypass, because I can’t do it myself .

Can you put a link for the lens cap please?

They don”t seem to list the lens caps separately on Jaxman”s Aliexpress site any more but I am sure if you message Jaxman either on here (they are a member) or at their website they will sell you lens caps.
Failing that those 52mm pipe caps in Teachers link will work fine & are cheaper than Jaxman lens caps Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

Sorry for resurrect, I ordered one of the Cometas in first batches and barely tested it. Is it not safe to use without modifications? What must be done to ensure safe use?

Reading the thread from the start will answer your questions!