COMETA Solutions//Warnings, safety, problem"fixes", pre/post mod measurements, & more. UPDATED

:+1: … :slight_smile: … My pleasure.

After my initial quick tear down of my replacement light on Saturday morning I reassembled it & then had to go out for the day (no amount of fiddling with the lens “O” ring would get it to sit right as it is badly stretched due to being installed incorrectly initially so I got it to sit as best as I could & didn”t tighten the bezel very much, just enough so that the lens wasn”t rattling).
When I returned in the evening I decided to use the light whilst walking my dog :person_facepalming:
I turned the light on & it came on in turbo (I am guessing that that was the mode, very bright anyway) & no amount of tail button clicking would alter the mode so I removed the cell :person_facepalming:
Luckily (as I had no confidence in the Cometa) I had an S2+ in my pocket so used that :slight_smile:
From what I have read I am guessing that the anodised led retaining disc is touching the led negative (there were signs that the disc had squashed the negative wire on my initial tear down) :frowning:
So that is 2 Cometa”s delivered to me, 1 damaged & does not work at all & one with issues that won”t change mode :person_facepalming:
As The Miller has posted that BG are working on a solution to the Cometa problems (IMO to do away with all issues, apart from the loose zoom threads, a complete new pill is needed) I have put the Cometa back in it”s box a will wait to see if any resolution is offered by BG.
If not then I will have my first “shelf queens”, 2 Cometa”s I can look at & dream of what could have been :frowning:

Oh dang that is sad BH!
The only upside I see is that we as BLF surely will add “test all individual lights for proper working before shipping out” to special groupbuys.

Good luck with new round of cs sparring.

High The Miller, I am not going to bother to go through BG CS again at this point as all they can/will do is either send me another light exactly the same as this one or a refund.
As I actually want a fully working, safe & hopefully to advertised spec Cometa I am going to just wait a few weeks & see if BG do come up with a proper long term solution to all the problems.
IMO that is a complete new pill to original specs & with insulation between the retaining disc & star.
The loose zoom threads I am willing to live with or sort myself.

I’d just get a refund and be gone with this disappointment* of a light. * I could have used a few other words as well.

It would not surprise me if a well priced, reasonably built, high spec zoomy from another manufacturer arrives on the market this year. The Jaxman Z1 looks good. Or save up and get a Z1vn.

My light came a week or so ago, wires squashed at top and notigen emitter. Terrible build quality and rattles badly due to loose threads. Very disappointed. Emailed BG with regards to refund and got same copy pasted email twice telling me to send a video and pics. I’m sure they are well aware of the problems/dangers with this light !

I like my Cometa very much, despite the tinkering required out of the box. I am lucky and have one that works well.

I think we should make it clearer in the first thread post that Jax parts won’t fit. I had ordered this extension tube at the same time I ordered my Cometa, and was disappointed to find it doesn’t fit. http://www.banggood.com/JAX-Z1-Zoomable-LED-Flashlight-18650-Extension-Tube-p-941207.html

I did the same thing. I left a warning in the BG reviews about this but it may not have appeared before you placed your order.
The Cometa and the Jax have different thread dimensions which was very disappointing for me because I desired to mod one of my lights for maximum storage capacity. Right now I’m quietly standing by to see if there will be a solution offered my light with the fried springs.

Finally! I’ve discovered “Cometa Nervana”!!! Yes, I know how to spell nirvana.

However, in trying to solve the Cometa’s screeching, clanking, sloppy zoom parts I’ve finally got mine “right”. Sure, whatever.
Actually, this works wonderfully to show what could’ve/should’ve been Cyberscudo’s original desire for a flashlight.
So sad that the manufacturer/seller messed this all up so royally!
To see how smooth this really can work just makes me mad that it didn’t turn out the way it should have! :rage:
This does not address the undersized pill, the uninsulated contact points, or the worst problem, the shorting parabolic disk.
But it should help show what needs to be aimed for to quiet the quivering zoom system and it makes the light feel sooo nice.
What I did just to get a real idea of tolerances needed was to use the heavy teflon tape and another tape which sorry but I can’t identify the name of it, to tighten the tolerances on my zoom, and it works. This is however a very temporary fix that is also uber-ugly.
I originally had the idea of using the o-rings as others have done which may be a great idea but it occurred to me that if the smooth ring inside the lower end of the zoom adjuster was lined with a teflon type bushing of sorts it might work well to smooth and tighten things.
The teflon tape on the threads is two rounds thick. The white tape on the battery tube is aprox. .07mil thick, give or take an inch or two (I used my Chinese calipers to measure). Sorry, couldn’t help myself with that one. :blush:
I think the only REAL solution is for the manufacturer to tighten the tolerances but I hope this helps some of the more creative persons here in their search for solutions.
Tape mod
Re-assembled light

You effectively covered the only cooling fins the cometa has :frowning:

I would put kapton tape on the bottom of the the anodized disc whether it works properly or not, and flatten the solder bumps as well.

I’m not sure what the best release agent would be for epoxy coating the threads or how well even epoxy would hold up as a thin layer so loctite would be a safe alternative albeit not a permanent one. As an experiment one might try using margarine or beeswax on the female threads and alcohol thinned JB Weld on the male threads though I would try it on some other throw away parts first. I’ve tried silicone lube for this sort of thing but it didn’t work, maybe the alcohol based lube was too similar and a fat or wax based one would be better. In any case I would apply the release agent to the male threads and the epoxy to the female threads with the bezel removed so that the excess that is pushed ahead can be cleaned with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. If applied Vis Versa the excess cannot be cleaned off and will get all over the O ring.

Yes, I realize that. You are correct. It was simply my attempt to get an accurate idea of what my clearances are if I should make an attempt to “line” the inside of the zoom part on the smooth surface just inside the bottom of the zoom tube. Taping the inside ring would probably present wear issues but this is what I plan to try next. A thin tight nylon bushing might work but these are small spaces and it would be very thin. Any loose edge on the tape inside the zoom tube will snag the body and create a jam. Heat dissipation is one of the main things I don’t like about the o-ring idea.

Not sure if you are asking me or Theodore41. But to be clear I have not used either one.
The threads on my Cometa’s are not loose enough to make a difference to me.

Oh, I have no doubt tighter tolerances would have made things much smoother, but I can live with them as they are rather than do a temporary fix with this stuff.

I just posted that video & link to help out Theodore41, who had a question.
BUT, I was not familiar with the LocTite 55 at all. I will be trying it on an upcoming plumbing project. :slight_smile:

edited to include the complete quote for the ………… third time I think, just to be sure there was no misunderstanding by anyone.

Hmmmmmm, I understand what you are saying and that is a darn good idea that would work provided fabricating the bushing can be worked out. Impressive thinking on your part Freebird!!! … :wink::slight_smile: … :+1:

The shame of it is about three years ago I threw away 2 five gallon buckets full of solid nylon and Teflon rollers, cylindrical in shape… 4” x 2” diameter; that could probably have been turned down to make a bushing like you described.

They had come from a DELPHI plant that had replaced them with new ones somewhere on an assembly line or something. A buddy just gave them to me. I had had them for years too……… I knew better than to throw them away, I have thought of numerous things they could have been used for once I finally tossed them……………. :frowning:

Oh well……………… :person_facepalming: … :wink:

They just emailed me offering a refund — which I had not asked for. I’d just submitted several critical detailed reviews with pointers, which haven’t showed up yet.

Time will tell if that’s meant as a quid pro quo — meaning, if I no longer show as having bought the light, I don’t get to post a review of the light.

That would be sneaky. Or clever. Or confusion.

EDIT: Yep and Amen to all that, consider it perhaps a momentary loss of reason…? Feel better though, thanks… :laughing:

Gee T18, looks like things are better now…

/edit:26May2016.11:40 hrs/\\\\\\\for spelling 22:28 hrs
I personally consider the above a Technical Bulletin from Sb giving us all advice how to completely avoid Technical Issues on this thread… therefore allowing it to remain open. YMMVG

This isn’t a technical issue, please delete it….

nice