Comments on a tint-ramping w2 Deep Blue / sst-20 Deep Red D4sv2

It looks incredible. Like 3D/cyberpunk/synthwave. I can barely describe it.

When mixed, some colors pop like crazy but it’s not always clear which is which: blues look amazing but shades of blue can’t be distinguished, reds and oranges look amazing but reds and oranges look alike. Greens are dark, often somewhat reddish.

If you like strange lights it looks really good, although it ramps through magenta and bright purple when mixed rather than a deep purple, so it has a bit of pinkishness to it.

These pics are only somewhat representative of it, it looks much better than this in person, assuming you like these colors. It looks phenomenal in candle-mode, in my opinion, and overall I LOVE IT.

This is an excellent mix. Every time I turn it on it wows me a little with the color. I leave it mostly purple with a faint ghost-like red outline. Everyone I know who saw it today wanted it. All of them. People offered to trade all sorts of things for it, or to buy it outright. No joke. They liked my w2 d4sv2, but this one blew them away.

My phone camera app cannot even come close to processing these colors correctly. The sst-20 red is a crazy deep, thick red like you’d find in a darkroom/film exposure closet. Sometimes it looks like a normal red flashlight light, and sometimes it’s AMAZING, nothing like the cheap red filters I’ve seen before. It sometimes seems almost viscous, like a layer of thick red oil covers everything. I only got the red for the mix but boy, it’s really something else. I see now why people order it so often. The blue is actually very similar, as it is, as far as I know, saturated like the red. Both of them can be completely hypnotic in candle-mode, far, far beyond e21a’s or other white emitters. They simply do not compare, and there is no way to get the full effect of this saturated color from a cheap camera, probably. It’s just too much. The videos I try to make of it do not begin to do it justice.

I’m using the default throwy optics and it is blending better than I expected. I bought an extra floody optic but am not tempted to use it due to how much output (up to 25, I’ve read) it cuts. I might put some of Boaz’s #3 dc-fix ( DC-Fix Diffusion Film Sale ) on it at some point, not sure yet, as I don’t yet feel that I need more flood. The number 3 dc-fix that Boaz sells leaves most of the hotspot, while still diffusing, and only cuts output by around 3, but this particular light doesn’t throw much further than a dt8 8x e21a 2000k as it is.

All the questions you might have about if the tint-ramping works, how easy it is to ramp to a certain tint and stay there can basically be answered with “it all works, and it works pretty well”. Based on this I’m willing to bet the sst-20 red + osram yellow d4sv2 combo I’ve ordered will be a winner.

If you have any questions about the color mixing and ramping or how it looks, I’ll do my best to answer.

Brief indoor videos:

My camera struggling to catch the really incredible looking alternating strobe mode (seizure warning):

Tint-ramping on a multicolored fabric screen:

I will post some outside videos soon. Wanted to get some tonight but police are busting a drunk driver and I don’t want to be standing out there by them playing with blue and red flashing lights at 1 a.m.

That looks really cool. I recently took the phosphor off an lh351d to use it as a royal blue emitter, but I was a little concerned about the safety of it with regards to eye damage so I swapped it out. Maybe I should get back on it!

If I were to ask “what is the use of this flashlight”, would my flashaholic license be revoked?

Perfectly valid question. I don’t think this flashlight has an actual use case scenario really, it was built for fun not usefulness.

Aren’t we all here for the fun anyway? I mean do I really need hundreds of lights around me for usefulness? So, no; my question should never be asked :slight_smile:

The lights in my bedroom are a mix of a throwy uv blacklight, some red and purple flame effect bulbs, and an orange bulb. All together these create an effect similar to sunrise or sunset, with a flicker effect added from the flame bulbs. Very cozy.

This flashlight creates half that effect (everything except the orange color) in a portable Hanklight format. The yellow/red d4sv2 that’s in the mail to me now should provide the orange, and viola, portable sunset candle effects.

If the tik tok generation knew about these blue/red Hanklights, he’d easily sell a thousand of them a day, possibly for months or more. They’re that attractive to a certain type of person.

Of course, we here wouldn’t like that, because Hank would be tied up and our orders would take forever. But SOMEONE could make a LOT of money by mass-producing a 21700 version similar to this and marketing it to ‘influencers’ on instagram. A whole lot of money. Won’t be me, though, not a money person; life’s too short etc. I’d rather play with the lights than sell them!