I decided to do a little different review of a DIY project that worked out well for me. I don't have access to a camera at the moment but I can get some pictures from the internet and include a parts list. This mod requires no soldering.
The end result is a nice looking light. It looks like it is a matching smaller "thrower" to go with a Zebralight (same color/finish). That's how I use it as well...a thrower to go along with my Zebralight headlamp.
I started with a Ultrafire BJO8A which is a single AA light with a reverse clicky and a XR-E emitter. I chose this model because it looked like the switch would be installed in the standard way as opposed to a pressed plastic disc as in the case of the Akoray model of similar size.
I also guessed that the gold band you see in the picture was a screw-in brass pill for better heat dissipation. It turns out I was correct.
My initial intention was to replace the reflector with an aspheric or to leave it in and paint it black if it needed to stay in as a spacer. Since the pill appeared to screw in I thought I might get lucky and not need it as a spacer.
Where I really got lucky is that not only is the head easy to take apart (again unlike the Akoray) but there was also a retaining ring similar to that commonly found in tail caps. This held the reflector in place but could also be used to hold an aspheric in place.
After experimenting with zoomies of the same size I realized that the emitter pattern would be rather large with such a small lens, wouldn't throw all that far of course and just didn't look all that appealing in practice.
I happened to have some TIR optics from DX but they were 3-4mm too big. They came surrounded by a plastic holder. Since I had a few and they were cheap I decided to see if it was possible to cut the holder away from them. It was possible and I now had just the bare optic and it was now the correct size for this project. If I had any other light though in this configuration I wouldn't be able to mount the optic. Since this light had a retaining ring in the head I was able to mount it perfectly.
All the white plastic you see in the above picture was removed by just cutting it near the slot and then taking the plastic off...like shelling a nut!
This light is a bit too dim for the way I wanted to use it with AA so I tried one of my new 14500 batteries and it appears to double the output.
So now I have a good looking single AA, easy to carry, with a forward clicky, single mode, with a TIR optic. The beam is bright, throws about as far as you could expect with a light of this size, and the beam is just a little more focused with a little less distracting spill then you would have with a reflector.
No special skill or tools are required for this mod and the total cost is less than $20.
I got the light from Tmart and it arrived (U.S.) in 4 days. I got a 14500 from Tmart as well. The TIR optics are from DX and are listed as 23 mm diffusion optics. A bag of 5 or so is about $4. The forward clicky came from Shiningbeam and is less than $2. To make the forward clicky work all I had to do was cut a bit of rubber from the inside of the tail cap button. The forward clicky is designed to screw in directly with a Rominsen but with this (and most other lights) you just use the existing retaining ring to hold it in place.
By the way, this is one of the best made lights right out of the box in this price range/style.